1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[44th Pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by comrade, May 23, 2024.

?

44th pick

1. Ulrich Chomche

13.8%
  2. Juan Nunez

5.3%
  3. Ajay Mitchell

10.6%
  4. Nikola Djurisic

10.6%
  5. Izan Almansa

5.3%
  6. Melvin Ajinca

5.3%
  7. Zach Edey (pls fall)

30.9%
  8. Bronny James

25.5%
  9. Im not done arguing about 3

17.0%
  10. Other

19.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. H. Christopher

Almansa

CarlosGM likes this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I actually am interested in this portion of the draft. I just don't know if we have the roster spots. If they didn't take a spot on the team, I'd love to be able to draft a high upside guy like Bona or Chomche and send them down to Rio Grande. Hell, I love Ryan Dunn and wouldn't mind seeing him down in RGV working with shooting coaches. He could be a very valuable rotation piece if you could get his shot even close to respectable. It could even be under league average, just not so bad that nobody will guard him.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't expect him to be there, but that's another guy I'd love to see in a Rio Grande Valley Vipers jersey for a year or two.

groovemachine likes this.
  4. lpbman

lpbman Member

I know, but you aren't going to get a polished, complete package in the second round.... just looking for someone that deserves a roster spot.

5. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

If we draft someone at #44 they probably aren't getting a roster spot. More likely they're getting a two way contract.

Pretty common in that range now.

No Worries likes this.
  6. lpbman

lpbman Member

Sure, but that's what you're hoping for. I could see a scenario where we draft Dunn, trade Brooks, and have him take Bullock minutes/. Obviously we aren't going to trade Brooks to clear minutes for a second round pick, we'd be doing it because we think we have 3 young guys who can play there now in Tari/Cam/Amen. Not a cap doctor, but the deals Denver got with Jalen Picket and Hunter Tyson look good. If Dunn (or whoever) is worthy of a roster spot, that's a real positive from a throwaway asset in pick 44.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

SMDH.

I could see a scenario that the Rockets draft Dunn (who is a very high character guy), sign him to a two way and send him to the G League where he sets the nets on fire with his 20% 3 point shot.

8. OkayAyeReloaded

I'd take a shot on DaRon Holmes II or Edey if we don't get a big at three, but not sure those guys will be there unless trading up a bit.

Bronny needs to stay in school and develop, or get a degree and take care of his body.

9. conquistador#11

Feel like this team in this city could use a Juan.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Daron Holmes II
    Ajay Mitchell
    Hunter Sallis
    Melvin Ajinca
    Kenneth Simpson

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Trade up. Chomche won't make it that far.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is more than likely our G-league participant. Half a season in the Valley and bring them on up.

13. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

I’m hoping Adem Bona falls to us

14. sydmill

sydmill Member

Bona is my guy with the Rockets second pick. Given his experience with Robert Williams, Ime ought to know just how to use Bona given their similarities. I dont think Bona is quite as good but the play style is very close to timelord.

Believe It! and comrade like this.
  15. comrade

comrade Member

A familiar face tossing a beautiful lob to Adem Bona, the chemistry is there

Shark44 and Believe It! like this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

At 44 European Center. Above 7'0 can Shoot don't care about weight.

2nd Round Overweight Centers but are talented.

Nikola Jokic - Nuggets
    Marc Gasol - Lakers but traded to Memphis.

17. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

Juan Nuñez is really good. Not much worse than Ricky Rubio

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm probably more of a 'swing for the fences' with pick 44 kind of guy.

Pick a project, send them to GLeague and see if they work out.

Chomche
    I admit to watching nothing more than highlights. Combine measurements were great. Raw, super young (not even 18.5 on draft day!!) and and all around skill set where he can space the floor and block shots AND pass. Obviously his 5TOs per game and low FG% are a concern - but that might be why a fluid 6'11.5 athlete with 7'4 wingspan, agility and bounce is available in the 2nd round? Draft him. GLeague him and see what we end up with.

AJ Johnson
    Just horrid stats from his time in the NBL. I'm not as worried about those. A lot of these guys who take the 1 and done route through Australia shoot worse. They aren't gifted playing time and tend to force shots in garbage time. They also play against men in what is a very physical league which allows a bit of leeway defensively for less athletic guys to body up athletes. AJ suffered in that regard.
    He may be a complete bust, but his size and skillset potential as a wing is worth a flyer.

Cam Christie
    Maybe I'm higher on him than I should be. He could be something of a safe pick in that he is a 6'6 3nD guy. But I am intrigued by his passing skill as a young freshman (still 18 on draft day) who put up some reasonable counting stats in the Big10. It would be interesting to see him featured - his brother Max looks a solid rotation player, and I think Cam is a better prospect.

lpbman likes this.
  19. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Doubt he's they're at 44.

Actually they should trade up for him.

He's gonna wreck it.

sydmill likes this.