1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lost in the Discussion of Receiver Talent

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Marshall Bryant, May 21, 2024.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Who do you think is lost in the discussion of WR talent?

For me, it's

1. Noah Brown - Played like a number 1 in several games
    2. John Metche - His second year back from cancer, but could finally be poised to play up to his talent.
    3. Devin Jordan - A fast TE who has a knack for making the first guy miss.

We have Marianas Trench type depth.

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I say John Metche because he seems the one we likely all want to succeed but it's easy to forget him a bit because of the combination appeal of Tank/Collins/Diggs...

either way like I said it before what a difference one year makes exactly one year ago we thought our WR set was among the worst in the NFL at this time , now It's arguably the best

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Noah Brown stays healthy, he will shock people. Simple as that. He's a WR4 that plays like a WR2 (and sometimes a WR1.5).

I believe we will see the real John Metchie this year and be very happy with the results.

Not really sold on Brevin Jordan. He's OK as a receiver sometimes but is far from a complete player. As the season progresses, his role may decline. I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't on the opening day roster or doesn't last the season.

Great thread. IMO, Texans are likely a legit 5-deep at WR with a lot of versatility. Depth will protect them. Lastly, Mixon will not only make play-action 10x more effective, he's also a plus receiving option out of the backfield.

Slowik should absolutely focus less on trying to establish the running game this year. The offense is very lopsidedly geared towards passing and they should embrace that identity.

ROCKSS, Sooty and Marshall Bryant like this.
  4. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I think management is hoping that Metchie can fulfill the hopes they had for him and become a starter this year or next. So, I don't think he's the odd man out as I believe he'll get his share of snaps. If the WR room stays healthy then the rest of them are the "odd man out".

5. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Really? I love his game! I think he's a matchup problem for opposing defenses. I'm still not sure why management felt the need to draft Cade Stover.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So much this. Between Diggs, Collins, Dell, Schultz and Mixon there should be mismatches on every down. I want to see huge passing games. With this collection of weapons the goal should be nothing more than a record setting passing attack. Our OL, especially Tunsil are better in pass protection as well.

No conservative BS this year. Time to dominate!

7. raining threes

Because Stover can block and Jordan isn't a good blocker. The run game is going to be much improved next year with a healthy Green, Scruggs, Howard, Fisher, with Schultz and Stover in 12 personnel.

Sooty and A_3PO like this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's a different match-up toy for Slowick. He has an arsenal for CJ to use depending on who they see on film.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

While I agree with you, I feel like that same spot just got filled by Skowronek..

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's the double-up. So when one is down, the other is available without having to change the initial game plan. He's the Noah Brown to Niko Collins who have a similar profile as big, reliable and hard to bring down after the catch. Metche has the potential to be the route runner backing up Diggs with precision routes. Though not as close and starting as TE, Jordan has the quick start and stop as Tank.

This is not to say there will be occasions when the game plan will need to be changed, but reducing the number of times might make them more effective overall.

I'm optimistic we can be the new standard by which other teams are measured rather than measuring ourselves against them.

11. raining threes

Skowronek is a very good blocker for a WR, he can play H-Back, but he's not an in line TE like Stover.

Sooty and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Sorry, I was comparing Skowronek to Brevin Jordan, not Stover.

Someone was saying we had Schultz and Stover, and then Jordan was our speedy TE that could play WR or FB, and I was just mentioning that it kinda looks like Skow was filling that spot.

And to clarify, I love Brevin. Just getting crowded

raining threes and A_3PO like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I think everybody saying "turn it loose, throw the ball 40 times a game" is completely underselling how good, and important, the run game should be

eta: there's a reason they brought in Mixon (dirtbag that he is, but he's now *our* dirtbag)

#13 Buck Turgidson, May 25, 2024
    Last edited: May 25, 2024
    raining threes likes this.
  14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The power of redemption and forgiveness should not be dismissed. Reading the play by play of the incident, there were no good guys, just immature fools who were empowered rather than under self control, each feeling justified in the moment. It's been 10 years.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

If the year was 2033 you might have a point

16. Buck Turgidson

But back to the topic:

The "greatest show on turf", 2001 Rams, threw the ball 551 times and ran it 416. I like that kind of balance.

raining threes and BMoney like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm hoping for something like 350 Runs and 650 Passes or about a 2-1 pass to run ratio. I hate those games where they get fixated on running the ball and take themselves right out of the ball game.

My real hope is that we bend less and get the ball for the offense more. We have the pieces on defense if they click.

19. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Metche bout to shock the world I think

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I keep widening my own thread by initially titling it WIDE receiver and widening to TE. Then we widen it further with RBs as targets or weapons which include the running game. I'm OK with it as long as Slowik keeps UNPREDICTABILITY in mind as his first priority. I hate when he tries to ESTABLISH anything. I do NOT want to see R1 R2 R3 punt as a game plan any more than Pass1 Pass2 Pass3 Punt.