1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No more NBA on TNT?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've been reading so many places where people are ripping this David Zaslav guy at WBD for how he does business. Never heard of him before this whole thing came up.

However, if he actually blew their exclusive negotiating window with the NBA over $200 million, he is an idiot of idiots. The most basic rule of negotiating is understanding what leverage you have (or don't have). The second rule is understanding who you are dealing with (Adam Silver).

When you are so near the finish line on a desirable commodity like the NBA and a guy like Adam Silver is on the other side, you close on it. If Silver and others within the NBA were ticked off by his earlier comments on TNT not needing the NBA, he should have been aware of that.

I love it when egotistical bluffers lose.

Jontro and MadMax like this.
  3. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

First of all, I'm excited just for that NBA on NBC theme music. I mean, that's just so ingrained in my brain, I'd get so hyped for NBA watching that. Second, I don't care about NBC not being on TNT, I only care if the Inside The NBA won't be the same. I suppose NBC can have their own version of Inside The NBA on their network but will they bring over Barkley after he becomes a FA? If they do, who will they bring over as supporting cast around Barkley because they can't bring over Ernie, Kenny and Shaq. Will it have the same magic just because of Barkley? Will Barkley just retire? The day Barkley retires from TV, I'd be so sad.

Jontro and justinh like this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah, the one positive outside of TNT losing the license is the truth about Zaslav is coming out to a whole new audience. I think ever since the taking over of Discovery a lot of stuff came out, including their debt and trying to sell off different studios and IPs, on top of hearing about how WB has been doing business from video game industry insiders. I'm sure it's not just Zaslav or start with him, but he's clearly doing bad business and ruining relationships. WB seems like a very toxic brand right now and I hope it all goes bankrupt and IPs and studios can be revived and picked up by others who can do a better job.

Damion Laverne likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ernie: “Apparently these are bring ya ass ribs.”

Draymond: “They’re bring them today because they don’t think we’re bringing our ass back.”

Draymond: “Hey Chef, you got more events coming up? No more games here.”

Charles: “Chef, thank you for the food. Chef, we’re not gonna see you again but that was kind as a going away present.”

LOL

LONG LIVE INSIDE THE NBA

Jontro and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

He is clueless WB has been bleeding money since Discover took over and putting out bad movie after bad movie hasn't helped at all. They have resorted to selling off some of their old music catalogs to make a buck and despite having the Max streaming app we are seeing their stuff pop up on other streaming platforms because they have been so mismanaged. I said when the sale happened that Discover sold all their cans to make the deal and now they have no money for any good stuff to come out. There have also been rumors about a potential sale of WB to Universal or Paramount so if that happens and he also lost the NBA to NBC/Universal he should never work in entertainment again.

7. JW86

JW86 Member

Short lived soon ;)

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Love Chuck, Ernie, usually Kenny, sometimes Shaq.

This is all a consequence of deciding to give a microphone to Draymond f'ng Green.

Delete the entire network.

Jontro and Sanctity like this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

Apparently they are now considering matching the C package, Amazon’s, so still possible to see ESPN, TNT and NBC.

10. Buck Turgidson

I'd think the NBA would want TNT to match. Hopefully

I think TNT/Warner/Corporate Whoever heard the massive fan blowback and re-evaluated things

11. JW86

JW86 Member

For Inside the NBA and TNT yes, but not WBD - they are in a huge debt and investing in a long term is not in the league's best interests financially - and Zaslav as a person I'm sure has ruined most of the credit he had left, which likely wasn't that much to begin with.

As to your second take, I definitely do not think Zaslav has, but other stakeholders and important people within the company might have told him to save face since WBD's reputation has surely not improved. Though wouldn't surprise me if WBD never had the intention to match, but are just using this bid by NBC to mask how they never intended to match.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

I'm trying to think of the most obviously terrible CEO of a giant corporation before Zaslav

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Does it make any sense for WBD to pay $2 billion for streaming rights? No.

I think WBD is dragging out the whole process as long as they can for public consumption because of the backlash they've gotten over losing out to NBC.

14. JW86

JW86 Member

It definitely doesn't, especially since he reportedly said he didn't even want to go over the original 1.2/1.4 billion and the debt.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If not for the Rockets championship years, I could care less for the NBA on NBC. It’s hard to compare eras. Nostalgia says NBC rocked cause of the Jordan years but the internet and social media were just beginning, so ESPN is just different. I bet some older guys wish CBS still had the NBA.

Any case the one constant has been TNT. I can’t imagine the NBA without it.

16. StroudAndYorDaddy

The nba peaked, Adam silver will probably add a 4 point shot, and tv ratings will still be ass

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Jeffrey Skilling (former Enron CEO)

#197 jim1961, May 26, 2024
    Last edited: May 26, 2024
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chuck: I’m just gonna say what everyone’s thinking: it’s hot as hell down here in Dallas, TX. It’s smoking y’all. Words I thought I’d never say: I wish I was back in Phoenix.

Ernie: Mid 90s?

Chuck: Seems hotter.

Kenny: It was hot but it wasn’t that hot.

Draymond: I think he was trying to exercise and it made you feel hotter than you were.

Chuck: I was taking my daily walk, made it half a block and said “Abort! Abort!”

:D

Maybe it was a serious show at one point? (Before my time?) but I don’t expect serious basketball analysis. It’s silly, it’s stupid, it’s sophomoric, but usually funny. (Obviously many disagree.)

Not as if ESPN is giving us serious basketball.

TNT >>> ESPN
    Kenny, Shaq, Chuck, Ernie >>>>>>> Malika, Screamin’ A., Wilbon, Jefferson, Perkins, Bob Meyers
    Kevin Harlan, Brian Anderson, Ian Eagle >>>>> Mike Breen(love him), Mark Jones, Doris Burke, Hubie Brown…

ESPN’s broadcast teams and studio shows are a revolving door.

They fired JVG and Mark Jackson for … Glenn Rivers (and son Austin in their studio show) and Doris Burke? Then saw Glenn leave mid-season and promoted Redick. And if Redick gets this Lakers job, they’re gonna have another new broadcast booth next year.

Who’s gonna be calling NBC’s coverage? Mike Tirico?

After puzzling decision to let go of Jeff Van Gundy, ESPN’s NBA broadcasts are worse off

#198 J.R., May 26, 2024
    Last edited: May 26, 2024
    JayGoogle likes this.
  19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Last show is tonight right?

20. J.R.

J.R. Member