1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA to let Athletes Profit from Their Names and Likeness

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Oct 29, 2019.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't know if this needed to be D&D, but I like the move.

3. cml750

cml750 Member

All Trump talk all the time is tiresome. Perhaps this is something we can all agree about?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If their scholarships are to be treated as income, they should be free to demand a competitive salary for the work they do, not just control of their own likeness.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're going to get a new NCAA Football video game and that is a blessing.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We just need some sort of ruling that will finally get a real MLB game for X-Box

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Major college athletic conferences agree to settlement that will likely lead to athletes being paid directly.
    https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-settlement-keys-c155b06303fce4def9bca9f7efb2d03c

This along with NIL money the last vestiges if the ideal of college athletics will die. The idea of the student athlete for premier sports wasn’t true in many ways before and this will remove the veneer of that.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is a thought that I’ve had regarding college sports. As someone who coached a non revenue non varsity sport we still kept the idea of the student athlete. My own view is that we should do away with athletic scholarships. Instead schools can license their names
    And logos to private teams. They can also lease their facilities to these teams. In that way there will still be a “Texas A&M Aggies Football Team” playing at Kyle Field but they won’t be part of the University. They will be a self sustaining private business.

This would make college teams essentially like pro NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. where there is a “Houston Texans” playing at stadium owned by the city of Houston but aren’t city employees. Athletes aren’t students and aren’t subject to academic requirements and are free to pursue career and money in sports.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

As someone who played college football on Scholarship with the sole purpose of obtaining a degree and never had any desire to play past college, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Understand there are those who do want to get a degree. Someone like that could still play sports, earn money and go to school part time. This would be the same as a pro-athlete who goes back to school and takes courses in the off season. Also if the private organization wants to pay for an athlete to go to the school they could still offer a scholarship in addition to an income.

What I'm suggesting is that it would remove the current situation where universities are responsible for maintaining big time sports programs and all sorts of regulations and ethics to maintain the fiction that big time sports is actually part of the college educational mission.

12. HTM

HTM Member

Whole thing is a mess with so many moving parts:

- Employment
    - Collective Bargaining
    - Title IX

I am not bullish at all regarding the fate of non-rev sports or the 95% of programs (Including football and M Basketball) NCAA D1 - NAIA that are a net drain on a University.

Most Olympic sport programs at most universities have had the proverbial axe hanging over them for decades and its hard to imagine them surviving this shift in the landscape.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes most sports are a drain on the university and my own sport even though it was a club sport got axed by the university during COVID. There have been tons of issues with schools getting rid of programs like baseball, gymnastics and other sports. For Division 1 sports like football and basketball while they generate a lot of money they also cost a lot of money with massive contracts for coaches, facilities, and travel budgets. This is why I'm proposing cutting them off from the universities. Universities can still retain club and IM level sports but the mission of the university is back to education and not maintaining massive sport programs.