1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Stefon Diggs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2024.

1. Buck Turgidson

Blech....he'll figure it out (Uber), the route from his hotel to NRG

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The worst is trying to get to I-10 East from 290 after they changed the Freeway where 290 enters 610 AFTER the I-10 East exit. Then you wind up on Post Oak (take your pick which) and it's more like 1 hour 17 minutes.

evo8lover likes this.
  3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

mixon?

Uprising likes this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Hard to make a big impact when Diggs is already doing it. Only so much impact to go around! Haha

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Maliek Collins really? Would have never guessed that one.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Jeudy? Lmao ok

A_3PO likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Diggs never was a speed guy. Speed wise he’s Kupp but both are always open. He will have a huge impact

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

What are the odds that Diggs is one-and-done? We may pass on Diggs if Metchie explodes this year and we re-sign Nico. Besides, next year's WR free agent class might be a good one!

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would be pretty surprised if Metchie exploded this season. To me, that means we had some serious injury issues and he got a lot more snaps than he should have. I expect him to do better than last year with the opportunities he got, but I doubt he is on the field enough to factor much into the decision making on what to do with Digg's after 2024.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I believe Metchie will be on a completely different level in 2024. If fully recovered, he will do enough to make saying goodbye to Stefon Diggs easy after next season even if nobody in front of him has a serious injury.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you are right. His circumstances are pretty unique with the cancer, but I wasn't overly impressed last year. I don't watch college football so I don't have a frame of reference for the guy other than what he's done in the NFL.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Meant to post sooner. As the only Rockets fan who is also a Bills fan. Wanted to share my thoughts on Diggs.

First and foremost a great player who has been a top 5 receiver in the league for the past 5 seasons. He's not the fastest but his burst is good and his route running and change of direction is elite and his hands are somewhere between good and elite. Tough player who can take a good hit and bounce right back up. Great teamate who even on his way out there wasn't any bad words from his former teammates.

The last 2 seasons with Buffalo his play dropped considerably in the second half of the season. 2 years ago he was playing through a injury which explained it and I was waiting to hear the same after this past season but no news like that came out. Once we changed o-coordinator midway through the season our philosophy on offense changed and we featured Cook, Kincaid and even Shakir more. While Diggs still had plenty of targets Koncaid and Shakir outperformed him down the stretch. Also concerning is that during his entire time in Buffalo his play dipped during the playoffs.

I think a big part of the drop-off this season was the change in offensive philosophy and his change of attitude once that occurred. From a physical standpoint I don't think anything has change much with Diggs. Maybe he's a half step or less slower but like I mentioned he was never a burner and I dont think the things that make him great went away. While it sucks losing him I'm glad we were able to get a 2nd in the 25 draft for him when similar guys went for much less in the trade market the past 2 offseasons.

Here's hoping we get a Bills/Texans AFC Championship in 25.

Shark44, Kim, A_3PO and 3 others like this.
  18. vince

vince Member

The Texans have a lot of hope in their young receivers. Dell and Metchie are poised to have huge years. I keep hearing how Metchie is finally getting back to his pre IR self. Dell was having an all out amazing season derailed by the leg injury, but he was torching DB’s. Nico Collin’s showed he is a legit 1a or 1b receiver; and that’s why he got his new deal. But in the NFL, it’s about proving you can repeat the performance over and over. All three of those guys can benefit from learning from a master of his craft, the art of NFL route running.

I think they traded for Diggs mostly so he can work with the young group of receivers. Everyone says that Diggs is amongst the best route runners in all of the NFL, he does his pro bowl level work without being a speed burner.

Sometimes having a veteran like Diggs really does impact the younger guys and helps them be better players. Of course you have to already be pretty talented to be in that conversation.

But Diggs is still a 1A or 1b receiver, and he should quietly propel the Texans wide receiver core into one of the best in the league. But if he excels like most of us expect, he is poised to garner a huge contract from someone in the NFL.

Astrodome and Shark44 like this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think several teams could claim to have better one deep and a few could do the same 2 deep. But after a very limited number at three deep, it's no contest afterwards with the separation growing with each added receiver of depth.