1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TV broadcast

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Chick, May 23, 2024.

1. Chick

Chick New Member

As the Astros no longer allow their games to be broadcast on FOX sports, I and many, many others, no longer follow them. I don't even know who plays for them. I use to follow them and attend a number of the home games, even though I live almost a 100 miles from there. So, I loosely follow the Rangers, who I can still watch on cable TV. Whoever decided to make people pay such a high rate to watch on TV, had a stroke of genius for moving their fan base to another team.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Huh? They haven't been on FSSW for years. Are you just coming to the realization? If you have Directv, Xfinity or Fubo, you get Space City Home Network...which is on cable.

Jake Tower likes this.
  3. Chick

Chick New Member

Yes, I know they have not been on in years and I have not followed them.in years. Every option I have found to watch them was about $40 a month and I'm not paying that, and Im not going to their games
    Furthermore, numerous people in my area feel the same. We can watch the Rangers though, so we do that.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Thank goodness we Astro fans no longer need to deal with you.

Enjoy your Rangers.

Why exactly are you here?

FWIW: FSSW was a regional sports network just like Space City. No better no worse and no more expensive or requiring extra hoops.

You are a F-ing troll with no reason to be here.

Move along.

5. raining threes

Why did you start this thread.

If you don't want to pay the 40 bucks to watch the Stros then more power to you. But why do you think anybody cares how you choose to spend your money.

Rock Block and InTheGroove like this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Then you live in an area that's designated for the rangers. What are the Astros supposed to do about that? That's how it goes. If you don't live in the team's territory, you're going to have to pay more to watch them. Been that way for a very long time. Not sure why you're whining now.

Jake Tower and raining threes like this.
  7. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

...bc shes a BallySports/RangersNation cvckwhore....?

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

those with xfinity in Houston can no longer watch the Rangers… and nobody is crying about it. In fact those customers are getting money back on their bills because they can’t watch the Rangers, what a win-win!

Jake Tower, vince and raining threes like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Douchbag

Carry on.

Rock Block likes this.
  10. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

My god man you left out the e!

11. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I feel like this is a tell me you’re trolling without telling me…….

Jake Tower, vince and raining threes like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

That's not necessarily true. The Astros were on TV pretty universally in Austin in the past, but no longer (as were the Rangers - both have Austin as "home territory" for MLB blackout rules). But most people here have Spectrum or Google Fiber which doesn't include whatever the Astros are on now so they are not on TV for most people here. CSN-H was a debacle for the Astros and cost them a lot of their regional non-Houston fanbase, unfortunately because FSSW was more widely carried and with DTV taking it over, the market is pretty limited. Diehards will still follow them, but people growing up in the area don't particularly have a home team. Given that it's one of the largest cities in the country and halfway between the two, its interesting that neither has more aggressively tried to stake a claim in the area.

Buck Turgidson and vince like this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We got ****ing people that moved all over the world and still watch Houston sports regularly at 3 in the morning, their time, on this site and you're b****ing 100 miles away. **** off chick. Probably a fat, ugly one at that.

Jake Tower likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The RSN bubble bursting… but there wasn’t a suitable league-wide plan in place in time… and now the RSN bubble is re-forming, just with different backers.

Streaming will eventually happen across all platforms… but for now, as long as they continue to get backers for the RSN’s, teams would rather prefer to have the built-in subscriber base (lesser as it is) vs rely on ala-carte/on-demand type viewing.

It’s almost as if there will never be one unified option… and that should be considered as well. A lot of people consume all content via streaming. A dwindling population still relies on cable/satellite. Venues (sports bars/restaurants) also caught in the middle, but they’d rather have the option that provides the most possible content (including local channels). We all walk around with a streaming-capable device in our pockets.

The ability to consume content anywhere/anytime outpaced sports’ teams ability to deliver said content… and now its a quagmire.

vince likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Eshenfelder is terrible and unlistenable in the booth.

He belongs doing anything other than pbp

[did i leave an "e" out on this one?]

Rock Block and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Now imagine hearing Eschenfelder and Bagwell in the booth....

Jake Tower likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I don't mind Bagwell...he says smart things.

He just doesn't say anything in a hyped-up kind of way. Total deadpan.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I learned to watch highlights a day after the game. I then cut the chord so I don't subsidize the trash on cable. When I want to get really depressed, I listen to radio personalities who hate on everyone or read clutchfans for over-reaction.

19. Buck Turgidson

Once again, and I've posted about it many times, Manfred is actually on the ball in this regard. He wants a streaming "pay for whatever team(s) you want, single games, whatever" service run through MLB. It's just going to take some time to work out the complexities, but it's inevitable.

vince likes this.
  20. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Congrats, you found a way to troll and make yourself look like a gigantic idiot.