1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Cavaliers Fire Coach JB Bickerstaff After 2 Seasons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, May 23, 2024.

1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

The Cleveland Cavaliers dismissed coach JB Bickerstaff on Thursday. Bickerstaff led Cavs to conference semifinals and won 99 regular-season games in past two years, but change comes with hope of advancing deeper.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I get it, it's what franchises do when it feels like they've plateaued.

I just don't think there's all that much top end talent on their roster, and he's actually done more with it than I think he should have.

roslolian, Easy, Mr. Dominant and 2 others like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I am down for another offseason of people mentioning the 2019 Brooklyn Nets and their 42-40 record in hushed, mystical tones.

roslolian, Nook, BigShasta and 4 others like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No moar Bickerstaff jokes......

5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Its sad that JB made them relevant, similar to Mark Jackson in GS, and another coach is going to reep the benefits

wlekfjv923n and ramotadab like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Seriously. . . . They act like they have top 5 talent in the league
    They
    do
    Not

Rocket River

ramotadab likes this.
  7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Sounds like pressure from Agents threatening to take their players elsewhere unless. . . .

BigShasta, ramotadab and ThatBoyNick like this.
  8. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Wow, that was surprising. I thought he had finally found a job that he did well at. With all the injuries he seemed to have them still playing well. Maybe they did this to try and appease Donovan in some way so he will stay. Can't fault JB for the late season injuries they had. Even with the injuries ,they advanced. Oh well that's cavs problems not our.

BigShasta and ramotadab like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The funniest thing is if they replaced him with Frank Vogel who was kicked out of the 1st Round.....

From 2nd Round exit to 1st Round Exit.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is funny. Mark Jackson didn't make the Warriors relevant and firing him and hiring Kerr was the best coaching decision that franchise has ever made. It blows my mind people think he was unfairly treated when he actually made his own bed by being insecure, difficult and stubborn. Some of us actually remember how the Warriors were under Mark Jackson.

JB didn't get the best out of their roster but he didn't utter fail either. I'm sure there are valid, specific reasons why the Cavs fired him. Like with Mark Jackson, I bet their next coach is nothing like him, throws out all the old furniture JB left behind and the Cavs future success or failure as a team won't be because of what JB did there.

ramotadab likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OP needs to add "Rockets Legend™" to the thread title

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

And just like that the McHale coaching tree is dead

Nook, ramotadab and Red.Glare like this.
  15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Um, some of us DO remember the Warriors before Mark Jackson and they were atrocious. How relevant was a team that hadn't made the postseason in 17 years before you got there? Within 2 years you're in the playoffs in the 2nd round with a young inexperienced roster. Explain this

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I just explained this in another thread.

Bottom line: Their offense under Mark Jackson didn't match and underutilized their talent. They were a dirty team, which also didn't fit their talent. The Warriors brass knew they could perform better but MJ wouldn't budge on changes. So, they cut him loose, brought in someone 100% different who threw out everything MJ did prior and the rest is history.

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Agreed. Bickerstaff did a solid job there and as a result will likely get another opportunity down the road. This firing isn’t about him as much as it’s about the team.

ramotadab likes this.
  18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree JB's job future will say a lot about his tenure with the Cavs. Would not be surprised if he gets another shot fairly soon.

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You didn't explain anything. They hadn't been to the playoffs in 17 years before Jackson. Also you mentioned them dirty under Mark Jackson. So what exactly are they under Steve Kerr?

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They made the playoffs under Don Nelson in the mid 2000s a couple times though so not 17 years