1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Story of Starlight (Invention)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, May 23, 2024.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/whatever-happened-to-starlite

Starlite, the material that could have changed the world (and the war)
    Starlite is often called the wonder or the blast-proof material. This unknown paint substance remains a mystery even today. But what was it made of?

Originally published on Atellani.com | Article image cover credits: Historic Mysteries

Have you ever heard about a substance called Starlite or Maurice Ward, the hairdresser that invented it? It is (or was) a material that claimed to be magical. It could apparently withstand and isolate from extreme heat. When we say extreme, we mean really extreme! The material resisted a 10.000ºC laser beam test during a live demonstration on an episode of the BBC’s TV program Tomorrow’s World, aired in 1990. The test was undertaken by the BBC presenter Peter Macann and consisted in painting an egg with a mysterious plastic coat that would protect the egg from the flame. When the end of this program aired, it became infamously named “The egg test”, not only did the egg resist catching fire, but it was still raw inside. To add more magic to it, Macann even held the egg with his bare hands right after he turned down the flame of the laser. The egg was just slightly warm. Hard to believe? Have a look at the episode below:

======

Interesting story.
    The most concerning is worrying part is
    Dude may have taken it to his grave
    A Modern "Greek Fire" I guess

Had never heard of it . .. came upon it by mistake

Rocket River

Jontro and KingCheetah like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember reading and watching videos about this stuff a few years ago. I thought it was posted on here, but maybe not. I remember thinking it had to be fake, but he took it around the world, and government scientists in the UK and DoD tests in both the UK and US basically said, whatever it was, it was real.

It's cool that the guy in the 3rd video basically took baking ingredients and made a Starlite knock-off. Bonus points in that 3rd video for being able to build a cheap forge since I love watching metalsmithing videos. :D There's a company that has the formula or came up with a knock-off for Starlite - can't remember which, that has gone through testing like the original Starlite did. They bought all of Ward's information, notes, etc. that the family was able to find to do this.

#2 Dr of Dunk, May 23, 2024
    Last edited: May 23, 2024
    Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It's bothersome that he took it to the grave
    I seen a meme saying that we would be the first organism to have died off because saving ourselves wasn't cost effective
    and it struck a cord

I cannot help but wonder how many human life saving/improving inventions
    never hit the market because of capitalistic monetary thinking

Rocket River

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sounds like they have known more or less exactly what starlight is composed of and have been using it in various products for a long time now.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nihilism like religion are purely human inventions to understand the seen and unseen scale of things around us.

God might exist, but that doesn't mean pointing your ass in the air for hours each day will stave off the momentary blip of existence we have in the cosmos.

Nihilism is to solipsism as Satanism is the conjoined twin of Christianity.

7. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I don't believe you

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Well I don't believe you plus infinity

9. Buck Turgidson

I believe in nothing.