1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.6%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.9%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.2%
  5. Zach Edey

2.8%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.0%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.7%
  9. Nikola Topić

8.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.0%
  1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I think if we draft Topic, Sheppherd, Dillingham, etc. they can just take all of Aaron Holidays minutes.

No Worries and Dankstronaut like this.
  2. H. Christopher

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Those are reserved for Cam, Amen, and Tari. Just kidding, but it is the core of our issue in keeping our draft pick this year.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

adding in another layer. I get that BPA is in the eye of the beholder in this draft, but it’s also about development timeline. There might be players in this draft that take a really long time to develop and you don’t get much for 4 yrs but maybe have a chance to control them in their prime years on a 2nd contract. And then there are prospects that will contribute much earlier that may not turn into a Giannis, but more like a FVV. How much do the rockets need a raw developmental prospect vs someone that can significantly contribute in year 2? On some level that might be irrelevant, but given the amount of young prospects on our roster and the significant shooting imbalance in our core prospects, drafting a guy you are confident is FVV, vs a guy u think could eventually be Giannis-level but much more uncertain and not likely to contribute for 3-4 yrs, makes the BPA question more complicated.

r-fan-since-81, Easy and RC Cola like this.
  5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Reed Sheppard can definitely eat up some of Jalen’s minutes. That’s how good he is. Although they will let Jalen try and prove he deserves an extension.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly I haven't seen too much of him, I hear there are some people pretty high on him, but when I see a guy that seems like he struggled in the G league a bit, it makes me think they probably shouldn't be in consideration very high in the draft.

Also, I'm not sure what he'd bring to the Rockets that they need and don't have a better version of already.

For those reasons, I didn't really go very in depth when looking at him, do you think he's worth that more in depth look?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My guess would be, if Sheppard ends up the pick, he'll come off the bench behind FVV his first season since the 2 really shouldn't be on the court together meaning the bench unit would have both Sheppard and Amen together.

I think the Rockets try to move Green again, either before the season or at the deadline and certainly aren't offering him an extension so he's gone after this upcoming season.

With FVV, I think they decline his last season and go into the season after next with the Cam, Amen, Sheppard trio complimenting Sengun and Smith.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Kyrie Irving - rested for years whenever he wanted to
    Eric Gordon - Gordon post 30s has dealt with a ton of injuries. He only played 110 games over 3 seasons from 19-22.
    Chris Paul - hasn't been able to make it through a playoff run without injuries since turning 30.
    Jason Kidd - his MVP caliber play stopped at the age of 30.
    Isiah Thomas - retired at 32 because his body couldn't hold up.
    Kemba Walker - fell off a cliff as a player after 30 and was completely out of the league at the age of 32.
    Tim Hardaway - made one all star team after 30 and continued to decline
    Terry Rozier - just turned 30 and seems to be declining
    Marcus Smart - just turned 30 and had the most injury plagued season of his career.
    Mike Conley - struggles with injuries

#2069 gmoney411, May 23, 2024
    Last edited: May 23, 2024
  10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I like Cody Williams a lot. I feel like the "lack of motor" critique might be getting overplayed with him, as it did with Cam last year.

Corrosion, r-fan-since-81 and Aruba77 like this.
  11. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I rest my case. It’s moot arguing with someone who sees only what he expects to see.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm sure if I asked you what I see you wouldn't even be able to accurately say because you are too focused on looking for definites. Anybody that doesn't see injury risk with someone of Mitchell's size, play style, age, and previous season is being willfully ignorant. Mitchell might me great until he's 35, but I don't want to risk it for a player of his level that will be super expensive.

13. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

No.

And you have been avoiding providing the mythical advanced stats to back up your claim. But I’ll let you go.

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't know why you are hung up on me posting Bradley Beal v Mitchell advanced stats. You can easily go over to a site like basketball reference and compare their advanced stats at the age of 27.

15. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

It’s not “easy” and that’s how you back up your claim. But again, I don’t think you have it, and I doubt if you go browse these sites can easily obtain one. But welp, I let you go.

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Beal 20-21

PER - 22.7 OWS 4.2 OBPM 4.8

Mitchell 23-24

PER 22.1 OWS 3.6 OBPM 4.6

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Small nitpick, but...

Before last season most people probably wouldn't have though that Jeff Green, Holiday, Tate, Whitmore AND Amen would all be in the top 10 in minutes played for us last season. Most people had Whitmore in the Gleague all season...

But KPJ gets released, Landale is awful most of the year, Tari gets hurt, Whitmore shows he needs to be on the court....ect...

3 of those guys that were in the top 10 in minutes played last year can be replaced. That alone opens up rotation minutes. let alone the unknown that can happen.

Other than that though, I agree with the main point which is to draft BPA. But it has nothing to do with the rotation being set. This team isn't good enough or reliable enough to have a 9 man rotation set.

Easy likes this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow, it just hit me. Devin Carter and Chomche. A 3 and D PG and center in one swoop. I'm sold. Trade down.

19. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

lol how convenient is it to leave out the D part of the equation.

Let’s stop doing this. You have your belief system, I have mine. I don’t agree with you, you don’t agree with mine and it’s fine. You don’t want to trade for Mitchell for some reason that you cannot prove,

• Are the small guards injury rates higher than other taller guards? Other positions?
    • Are the smaller guards, after injury, losing value faster than other positions?

that’s fine. The data is iffy and there are tons of survivors bias in it. Nobody can convince anybody who has an entrenched view. That’s fine.

I don’t want to trade for Mitchell in a vacuum unless it’s at good cost. And that’s fine too. I do think he’s much much better than what this forum gives him credit for, and I have given lots of data to back up my claims.

Have a good rest of the day.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Helping you out.

gmoney411 likes this.