1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random disaster thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

Tornadoes is scary. Other than a volcano that's not close enough to be definitely killed by, but far enough away to run from...I can't think of anything scarier.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Jesus ****ing Christ

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not making any sort of statements about climate. Separate from all that stuff, I do have a question.

If turbulence events increase and increase in severity, what will the airline industry do? They might make more significant seatbelts, for one, and they might not offer beverage service during flights of 3 hours and less. Just keep everyone seated and belted.

Been flying a lot and I've seen some pretty incredible turbulence over the last year or so. I'm not easily scared, but in one case, I thought we might all die (as did the weeping people behind me, and the majority of passengers who were vomiting, so gross), and double checked who I'd given the flight # to. But could just be my bad luck, like when I make sports predictions. Maybe the same cosmic forces help me select flights!

ROCKSS and KingCheetah like this.
  6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I fly quite a bit and I have been guilty of being lackadaisical about putting on my seat belt or listening to the Safety Instructions but I for one am not going to take it off in the future unless I have to get up, turbulence happens so quick you don't have time to react in most cases

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Never order hot coffee on a flight. Once when we hit turbulance over the Sierras, the lady across from me had coffee and did not have her seatbelt tightened. Both she and the coffee went up and then the coffee came down all over her. She had minor burns and coffee stains on her clothes. It was an unpleasant outcome for her.

ROCKSS and MadMax like this.
  8. KingCheetah

I forgot to ask in my post if anyone has experienced heavy turbulence -- I was really curious about what it feels like when the plane suddenly drops like it's fallen through a hole. I've had a few wtf moments but nothing that was really scary or dangerous. It's amazing the amount of stress those airframes can handle.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Why do people not like putting on their seat belt? Sure it's uncomfortable, but better safe. It's not that bad anyways, half the time I don't even notice I have the seat belt on.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Of all the discomforts of modern air travel, the little seatbelt is like #237 on the list, LOL. But we're getting far removed from... random disasters.

ROCKSS, rocketsjudoka and ElPigto like this.
  11. rimrocker

On the coffee flight I mentioned, I had a loose seat belt when we hit the first bit. I came out of my seat for a sec, just floating in air. Would have hit the ceiling without the seatbelt. As soon as I came back down, I cinched that baby up tight and was fine the rest of the way, though it did feel like a rollercoaster ride when your stomach jumps into your throat. Would have been fun except for the sheer terror part. Pilot later said it was just a taste of what the NOAA hurricane flights go through.

KingCheetah likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've flown that route and pretty scary. I fly a lot but even I get uneasy during rough turbulence. I can imagine the horror those passengers felt.

Singapore Air is one of the best airlines in the world. This really must've been a freak accident.

ROCKSS likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been in a few bad situations but nothing like what happened in that instance.

Two years ago was on a flight from San Jose to MSP and it was so windy they had to abort the landing twice and then land in Des Moines. After about on the ground flew back to MSP and was able to land but it was one of those where the plane was twisting and swaying.

The scariest flight I was on was on a China Eastern Flight from Chengdu to Wuhan. This was 2015 and it was in the middle of the night. Just non-stop turbulence the whole flight away and I don't have a lot of faith in the safety record of Chinese airlines.

AroundTheWorld, B-Bob and KingCheetah like this.
  14. KingCheetah

15. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Delhi 'unbearable' as temperatures near 50C

Parts of northern and central India are sweltering under a severe heatwave, with a provisional record temperature of 52.3C (126.1F) registered in Delhi.

If verified, it would be the highest ever recorded in India.

More than 37 cities in the country recorded temperatures over 45C this week.

Warnings of heat-related illnesses have been issued, with at least three deaths reported so far.

The India Meteorological Department (IMD)'s Soma Sen Roy told the BBC that a team had been sent to the Mungeshpur area in Delhi - where the 52.3C temperature was recorded - to verify it.

The IMD described the recording as an "outlier compared to other stations", which had recorded temperatures ranging from 45.2C to 49.1C in different parts of Delhi.

The city's authorities have warned they will issue fines to those caught wasting water as the city deals with shortages and supplies have been cut to some areas.

Water minister Atishi announced that 200 teams would be deployed to crack down on people washing their cars with hosepipes and letting their tanks overflow.

"It’s been excruciatingly hot over the past couple of days and it’s got significantly worse as the days progress," said BBC Business Correspondent Arunoday Mukharji, who is in Delhi.

A resident told news agency ANI earlier in the week that it was difficult to even eat properly because of the heat.

“We have faced heat earlier as well, but this time it feels unbearable," they said.

"It’s difficult to even stand outside.”

The city's power demand has soared to an all-time high, with residents turning to air conditioning, coolers and ceiling fans to cope with the heat.

A consumer court stopped hearing cases on Tuesday after the judge said it was too hot to work without air conditioning...

...According to IMD chief Mrutyunjay Mohapatra, maximum temperatures are likely to remain above normal in June.

He added that northwestern India is expected to see heatwave conditions for four to six days.

Indian summers, which extend from March to September, are usually hot and humid.

But the weather department has said the country is likely to experience longer and more intense heatwaves this year.

This month, the states of Rajasthan and Gujarat saw nine to 12 days of heatwave, with temperatures between 45-50C, it said.

Scientists have said global warming has made extreme heatwaves in India much more likely.

In Delhi, construction, traffic and a lack of green spaces have added to the problem.

The extreme heat comes as coastal parts of eastern India and southern Bangladesh were hit by Cyclone Remal - killing dozens of people.

Meanwhile, the IMD has also predicted an above-average monsoon season for the country this year.

ROCKSS and KingCheetah like this.
  16. KingCheetah

126° F...!

Mango likes this.
  17. Mango

I was researching something else and CNN gave this link in a sidebar.

Rivers in Alaska are turning orange. The reason surprised even scientists

CNN —
    Rivers and streams in Alaska are changing color – from a clean, clear blue to a rusty orange – because of the toxic metals released by thawing permafrost, according to a new study.

The finding surprised researchers from the National Park Service, the University of California at Davis and the US Geological Survey, who conducted tests at 75 locations in the waterways of Alaska’s Brooks Range. The rivers and streams in the range appeared to rust and became cloudy and orange over the past five to 10 years, according to the study published in the journal Communications: Earth & Environment.

The discoloration and cloudiness are being caused by metals such as iron, zinc, copper, nickel and lead, the researchers found – some of which are toxic to the river and stream ecosystems – as permafrost thaws and exposes the waterways to minerals locked away underground for thousands of years.

“We’re used to seeing this in parts of California, parts of Appalachia where we have mining history. This is a classic process that happens in rivers here in the continental US that have been impacted for over 100 years since some of the mining rushes in the 1850s,” said Brett Poulin, a co-author of the study and a professor of environmental toxicology at UC Davis.

“But it’s very startling to see it when you’re on some of the most remote wilderness and you’re far from a mine source.”

Arctic soils naturally contain organic carbon, nutrients and metals, such as mercury, within their permafrost, the study says. High temperatures have caused these minerals and the water sources around them to meet as permafrost melts.

The Arctic is warming four times faster than the rest of the world, studies have shown.

“What we believe we’re seeing is this thawing of soil that’s happening faster there than it would happen elsewhere,” said Poulin. “It’s really an unexpected consequence of climate change.”....

More at the link along with some startling pictures.

18. rimrocker

These last two are not random. They're climate-related.

Mango likes this.
  19. Mango

That is true. i had rushed and grabbed the first thread that was sort of in the neighborhood.

I will repost both in the Climate thread.