1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jake Meyers appears to be the real deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’ve always been higher than most on Meyer’s. Probably second on here to @Snake Diggit

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I have always been been very up to moderately up on Meyers depending on my mood at the time.

Everything Chas can do, Meyers has the physical talent to do and be better.

But I must acknowledge that Chas is proven and already had his breakout which Meyers may never achieve. That gives Chas a much higher floor.

So far, Jake is doing his damndest to close that gap though.

I have frequently stated that I think one of them should be traded, but it isn't because I don't like one or the other. It's because I feel they are too similar and having only one allows better versatility on the roster.

The Beard and Zen Tabak like this.
  3. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Chas is not proven. Especially offensively. CF should be Meyers’ job now.

4. Buck Turgidson

Neither are any of the others.

5. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Remember when Click bet his job on Meyers in 2022? He was rushed back a little too quick from the shoulder injury that year and it affected his confidence but it appears Meyers has regained his form. He's giving this team everything we could ask for and more this season in CF.

James Click, you have been vindicated!

6. Buck Turgidson

No, because that never happened.

7. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

This was a fun read starting from page 1 again. I'm very glad Jake seems to finally be back from injury/mental struggles last year. I'd like him to get the starting cf role everyday while he's hot. (And just never see Dubon there again)

Chas hasn't been looking great in rehab, don't see the rush to bring him up.

13 in 33 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's pray Brother 13.

13 in 33 likes this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

But neither has shown the ability to stay healthy for a full season. Plus... both can play multiple OF positions and can pinch run.

10. Buck Turgidson

Page 14 is fun

11. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Huh? Click was Meyers' biggest advocate. The rift between Click and Crane began when Click didn't want to match Liam Hendricks high salary demands. It continued with not closing the deal on Starling Marte, trying to trade for Willson Contreras, and boiled over with the CF debate. Click chose Meyers and didn't live long enough to see his success come to fruition. Maybe there are other things too but these are just what's been reported over the years.

What's your version of the history?

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I liked both Meyers and McCormick since they made their debuts. But I thought each would be average to star level with Meyers a scooch above McCormick. Last year I flipped them with McCormick's good year along with concerns Meyers might not make it back to his promise earlier. Both have a side benefit of being a replacement for Tucker if he turns out to be too expensive to keep. It would be a downgrade, but not HUGE as if we had to bring in a replacement level player there.

Singleton's "success" has been a surprise considering I though his career was over 5 years ago. I put quotes around success because it's just a rare hot streak at this point rather than a proven or reliable change. I place him in the Henderson category, albeit an older version, where a player has shown flashes without consistency.

Bregman has a history of slow starts outside of his MVP level years, though not as exaggerated as this year.

This appears to have been a good year to be fixated on the Texans off season rather than the early Astros season. I doubt my health could have taken fixation on the Astros. Here's hoping the talent rises to the top again.

13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You have always cared about his arm way more than I do. I just don’t care about the difference between Dubon at 96% of runners advancing and Meyers at 97% of runners advancing or whatever the stat is. Now- when guys used to tag and go from second to third on Biggio while he was playing left field that was less than optimal.

Stephen66 and raining threes like this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

What gets me is that nobody talks about Chas' arm which is statistically worse.

There is no such thing as a perfect player. Even Mike Trout is injury prone. Ken Griffey Jr had 3 consecutive seasons in his late prime where he played under 85 games and had 3 seasons with an OPS+ under 100.

If you are going to criticize a player for a weakness or issue, at least be consistent and fair regarding the player you prefer.

And in regards to the player you mentioned - Dubon. How many balls land as hits that Jake catches? I have definitely seen a few.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. vince

vince Member

I hear Myers being called noodle arm. I’ve anlso heard others describe Chas arm, as even worse than a Myers.

But both of those guys are good in the outfield, both can play an effective CF, and are very effective with range. I get the feeling both are better than average, perhaps they aren’t going to scare a runner who’s tagging from 3rd base to score on a fly out. But they will defend the field and make catches that give the pitcher confidence.

Yordan Alvarez has a rocket for an arm, but he has minimal range, so much that you can’t justify him being in left field for more than a few game in a month.

Click seemed to believe in Myers and if not for the injury in the playoffs, I think he’d be much farther along. But I’m more than pleased that Myers is starting to show some stellar numbers on offense.

Astrofan59 likes this.