1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In your world he grew to 6'11 I suppose. Two way.....as you said allegedly.....he is mediocre at best on the other end.

Poor defensive rebounder for his size.

https://www.2kratings.com/brandon-ingram

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

@Corrosion and @theDude, I honestly I have no idea what the return value would be. I don’t want to pay him and I don’t want to lose him for nothing. And I’m convinced that if we are building around Amen and ALP, we need really good shooting out of the other positions. I just don’t think Jalen fits. And the sooner we make a decisive decision on him, the better. If we wait, we’ll only have less options and we’ll get less return. That’s the conclusion I’ve come to.

Y2JT and fattz like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t think any of the “PG’s” in this draft will be starter material by the time we have to make financial decisions on our core. If we keep the pic, I think it should be one of Sheppard or Dillingham. My preference is Dillingham, because he gives us more Jalen “insurance”, because he has the ability to break down defenses, where I see Sheppard as more of a sharpshooter off the bench. Jalen insurance is my number one priority this off-season. I don’t want to give up on him, but think we need a plan in place in case he has his typical slow start. If we want to make the playoffs this year, we can’t afford to wait on Jalen any longer that a third of the season. I’m also skeptical of Cam as a SG.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

My problem with Dillingham is he is tiny, like he will instantly be one of the lightest if not the lightest weight dude in the NBA. I don't know if it's even possible for him to be a good defender, and I also worry about his ability to stay healthy with his build. I agree he is one of the only guys in this class with legitimate creation in his game, but I just don't know if he's playable on this roster. Take all the concerns about Jalen's defensive weakness due to being thin and put them in an even skinnier, shorter package.

fattz, snowconeman22 and saleem like this.
  5. MacNYao

MacNYao Member

Hi all. I dont know how the trade details would work, but what you do you guys think about trading for D Murray, M Bridges and J Allen? They are all said to be available.

Rockets players involved would be Van Fleet, Brooks, Adams, Sengun, Green and Amen. No future picks included. One old and one young traded to each team maybe. We keep the 3rd pick.

Murray/?????
    Cam/????
    Bridges/Tari
    Jabari/????
    Allen/Jock

peleincubus likes this.
  6. MadMax94$

MadMax94$ Member

Yuck!!!

saleem likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You want to tank for years. Trade most of the talent away by going all in but still have a player that is currently 19 years old and another that just turned 21 a few days ago starting with them.

I don’t understand. I would rather just keep the team exactly the same than that.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly what he showed in the playoffs wasn't good. You can't expect someone to win a lot without their best player (Zion) but he didn't put up a respectable showing even within the context of the series. I would much rather bank on any of our own forwards. Jabari, Amen, maybe even Whitmore. With a more polished 3PT shot I think Tari can even reach Ingram's level of impact. Tari has always had shockingky good impact numbers.

Ingram's attitude sucks. He's very moody and doesn't get tough for the sake of the team it's totally random. Bit of a head case. On the more selfish side. All of this for what? For 20 points on 57 TS%? Inconsistent defense?

Jalen gave us 22 points on 55.6% TS% in his last 41 games. Can you have faith that Udoka and Green will get that up by 1.4% to outperform Ingram offensively? I bet it's going to be more than 1.4%. Played defense progressively better by month and didn't whine when he got benched for it. Coachable. 22 years old and one of the quickest first steps in the NBA coupled with elite hops. BI is 6'10 and Jalen outrebounded him this season.

Would be silly to invest any picks in Ingram. That's not the calibre of star we should be targeting.

#2168 Mathloom, May 24, 2024
    Last edited: May 24, 2024
    theDude and Corrosion like this.
  9. R=$

R=$ Member

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This is random. Thanks for keeping the spirit of thread!

saleem likes this.
  11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not sold on Adams being recovered enough to play first-line backup minutes. This trade leaves us very thin up front.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Kcp is a free agent and denver isn’t trading a solid starter for our trash…..even if they could

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah you may be right. Hate to be wishy/washy but I’m starting to lean Sheppard, because of he will be the better defensive player. Everything for the Rockets being a contender is related to Jalen. We have to have a sg that can create off the dribble. If it’s not Jalen, we have to find someone else without giving up the farm. If Jalen can turn the corner, this draft pick doesn’t mean a thing.

fattz and OremLK like this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes, we absolutely must have a perimeter shot creator for our offense to function. However, I also think we need everybody on the defensive end to be a two-way player if Sengun remains the starting center--we don't have an elite rim protector to fall back on, so the perimeter defense needs to be solid and difficult to exploit. If Jalen doesn't end up meeting both those criteria I don't know. I guess we hope Amen gets much better at ballhandling and shooting and/or Cam makes a massive leap on his basketball IQ and on-ball decisionmaking.

fattz likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree completely. Jalen really is the key to us making the playoffs. We have to have an on ball creator and, right now, there is no-one else on the team.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good luck, he has weirdly loose handles, Amen came in with loose handles as well......

Good lawd, lucky that he can actually be a secondary ball handler.

He scores the ball, creating for others? There are way better players to do so.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Not on our team there isn’t. A trade for Brogdon and #7 for #3, salary filler and 2nd rounders is growing on me. I wanted Brogdon last year, because he. Is a bucket and would provide great value off the bench, injury replacement, or even starter if Jalen doesn’t pan out. If Brogdon plays well we could re-sign him on a reasonable contract. I think it would be pretty close to what Conley has brought to the Jazz.

fattz and topfive like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did not disagree, it is still work in progress.

But by that time we roll into the Playoffs, we know who panned out and who did not......

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This one would be a little complex, but bare with me...

We make a Draft Day deal with Charlotte Hornets. Hornets need some excitement injected into the team/fan base and Thrilla is exactly what the doctor ordered. Houston likes Jalen, but doesn't want to max him, but they want to maximize is value after his turnaround in 2024. The complexity in this one deals with CHA 1st rd picks. 2024 which is #6 is Lottery Protected or it goes to the Spurs. Same for 2025. So to pull this off, CHA has to make their pick and then trade that player, Nick Richards, and swap rights to 2025 pick. HOU sends back Green and 2nd Rd pick we own from GS.

upload_2024-5-25_8-47-24.png

Ok, that's the concept. It's certainly a gamble that Jalen doesn't become a super star and it strings our talent accumulation out a bit further. To be honest, I don't know much about Nick Richards, but from what I remember watching he looked ok and he's only 26. Of course I'd prefer Williams in this deal, but believe he's likely part of their core. The pick 2025 pick swap is potentially the real carrot in this deal for HOU. If CHA collapses and is in top of the lottery, they retain the pick and we have the right to swap ours or NJ picks. So in sum with get 2024 #6 pick, 2025 pick swap option and Nick Richards for Jalen Green and pick #44.

As I've said before, I'm torn on Jalen. His sparks are electric, but I'm leery of his long-term fit/upside in Ime's system.

Let me know your thoughts on overall trade, does it suck? Is it ok or how would you modify it?

Also, who would you want the Hornets to pick for us at #6?

BTW, this likely means Jock is dealt for a future 2nd or maybe Richards is sent to a third team.

20. MadMax94$

MadMax94$ Member

I have a three team proposal but not sure it works for all teams...

Rockets receive Brogdon & #5 pick

Pistons receive #7 & #14 overall picks (Jeff Green, Tate, salary filler, etc.)

Blazers receive #3 overall & Rockets #44 (plus Evan Fournier)