1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Amen's is indeed a Pg. If you don't think so you are just plain wrong simple as that.

Hemingway likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

We have a lot of guys who can shoot 40% from 3. Just think why Aaron Holiday or Reggie Bullock didn't see a lot of time despite shooting 40% from 3. Not sure why you think Sheppard gonna be different unless he shoots 50% in the NBA.

Risacher and Knecht also good shooters just like Sheppard but have have height and length to do more than just shoot. Replace Sheppard with either of those guys in your hypothetical lineup and you have a big sized lineup that favourably matches with any team in the NBA. With Sheppard that lineup has a 6'1.75 weak point that can be exploited and targeted by others.

BasketballMind likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Look there is little doubt that some of Reed Shepherd's criticism is because the guy is white.

If you just looked at the analytics, it is clear he is a high end player.

DD

darksoul35 likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lmao, he wasn’t used as a PG majority of the season. He can play some point but he is more of a forward. His handle isn’t tight enough to be a full time PG.
    Do you enjoy always being wrong?

clutchdabear and daywalker02 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was my point before this year......I think he can surely make a try.....

I never liked the Rockets trying to make KPJ into a PG and now trying to force PG duties on Amen.

If it happens organically, all for it, but sometimes it does not feel organic....

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Amen is one of my favorite players, I was hoping he would be a PG. I think he is more of a forward who can handle some duties of a PG.

AroundTheWorld, cml750 and DaDakota like this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've spent a few hours this morning doing a deeper dive on Sheppard's tape, and I have to say two things:

1) I do really like the fit with him on our roster and I think he would be useful off the bench right away, plus a good insurance possibility for our other backcourt options if they don't work out the way we hope positionally or developmentally.

I think Sheppard lacks the upside of Jalen, Amen, or maybe even Cam (I'll get into that more in a minute), but I do think he easily profiles as a guy who could be in the range of a 3rd to 5th starter on a championship team, since it seems like every team needs at least one deadeye off-ball shooter these days. If our current backcourt options do work out well, Reed should still be a nice bench player for us capable of playing some minutes at both the 1 and the 2, though I don't know if I'd go quite so far as calling him a traditional "6MoY contender" type of guy for reasons we're about to get into.

2) I'm not sure I see anything remotely close to the kind of upside some people are talking about here. His first step is okay, but not great. He lacks the creativity and craftiness in his ball skills/footwork of Nash, he lacks the ability to self-create a ton of space to get his shot off of Curry, he lacks the fantastic point-of-attack defense and super-tight handle of CP3. Maybe most importantly, he lacks the assertiveness and confidence of all three.

From what I've seen, he's just not that guy. He is a very good passer, with some holes in that part of his game, but the rest of the package to be an elite point guard simply isn't there. He is pretty young and he will develop more in those areas, but I would be very surprised if he ever develops a superstar-level package as a creator for himself or others.

And all of that is okay! He doesn't need to have a monumental ceiling to be worthy of a top 5 or maybe even a top 3 pick in this weak-ass draft class. He's such a good shooter that, in combination with his off-ball defense and passing skills, it's certainly possible to envision him making an all-star game or two. I mean, FVV did it.

joshuaao, Little Bit and RC Cola like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He could be a point forward - ala Larry Bird.

And Reed doesn't need to be an ELITE PG to win a ring, who was our ELITE PG when the Rockets won it?

DD

darksoul35 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Given your typical player evaluation standards, I'd bet you think it's because he's not 6'7.

After all, that's the one thing that matters right?

LOL.

Knecht is 45 years old and essentially none of his game translates to the NBA....but he's tall

Risacher is not someone who can create for himself or others and is more likely to turn the ball over than get an assist. His 3 point shooting might translate, but his defense probably won't....

I wouldn't take either of those guys over Sheppard.

darksoul35 likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Correct. After about 10 games getting significant minutes, Amen was our best defender. If he gets 30+ minutes this year, only bias will keep him from 1st team defense. He is spectacular on that side of the court. He is a brilliant passer and rebounder. He is great at transition, although he needs to finish better (like all rookies). The only aspects of his game that are not above average are shooting and handles, which he will surely improve. FVV is a very good pg, if he is playing less than 30 mins a game and continues to play faster at Ime’s insistence. I do like Sheppard and believe in the future he could be a starter. He will have to guard pg’s on defense and sg on offense. If he can shoot right away he should get minutes this year.

He is not Jalen Green insurance. That’s why I prefer Dillinger who is much better at breaking down defenses. Besides Jalen, we have no one that can break down defenses like he can. I believe his ability to get to the rim is why Ime is sticking with him. He recognizes that we will have a huge void in the half-court offense without a shooting guard that can get to the hoop.

darksoul35 likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He will be our pg of the future. His handles aren’t nearly as bad as made out and most of his current issues other than shooting is with confidence (which all rookies endure). We also don’t need to make the determination this year. If he turns out to be a point forward, so be it. I’m sure by the time FVV is done here, we will have a suitable replacement. We could have 2 combo guards with Sengun and Amen getting most of the facilitation. Our flexibility is incredible with these young guys. We just have to get better at shooting the ball.

roslolian likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I have my doubts about him being a full time PG. I think Sheppard has a much better chance as a full time PG.
    Either way they can play off of each other.

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Risacher shoots 70% on freethrows, has only had one season shooting well from 3, and even then went on long cold spells, easily could just be a fluke. Better chance of Topic becoming a shooter, at least he shoots 90% at the line.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

That’s fair.

15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't watch his final game against Oakland. I was disturbed after I saw his numbers. Did Oakland just stay at home on him? Can he create his own shot when teams crowd him at the 3 point line? If we draft him to be the pg of the future he has to be able to create for himself and his teammates. Maybe he can. I just never understood how a player who you guys seem to think may be a mix of Curry/Kidd/Payton could have so little impact in a big game.

A 1 game sample size is not enough to judge a player. But did Oakland give a possible blueprint of how to neutralize him?

Honest question if anyone watched the game without any bias.

roslolian likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

you cant be a pg in the nba in 2024 if you shoot under 20% from 3.
    In the extreme rare scenario where its possible, you definitely cant do it playing next to a 34% and under 3pt shooter at SG.

Strawberry Gum and Bobbythegreat like this.
  17. H. Christopher

Definitely. Although if Reed were blek I believe there would also be pushback from certain posters on here.

18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Risacher can't dribble, finish at the rim in the half court, or play make at all. He's a 3 and D wing at best who's mock ranks say more about the draft than him.

Knecht is 23 years old, if there's anyone who should be getting Jimmer comparisons, it's him.

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

This is the problem many of yall have…. You can’t just assume Amen will be the “point guard” of the future. You can’t just assume Reed will be the new FVV.

This team is still very much TBD so drafting for fit with a top ten pick seems silly.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If they weren’t all in the same tier, then yes drafting for fit would be foolish, but by most consensus they all are in the same tier. I’m more concerned with future fit, than this fit this year, because I doubt any of them get significant minutes without some other trade.

OremLK likes this.