1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

296 vote(s)
    85.3%
  2. no

51 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

you’re a bi+ch and dumbass thats clear to me

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He is still 19 for another 6 weeks or so.

r-fan-since-81, Mathloom and DaDakota like this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Certainly doesn’t appear that way

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wow - that escalated quickly - you do know the GTFO here was said with a massive smile, right? It is nothing personal - just having a laugh.

But calling someone "b****" well.....that is pretty weak, tbh - this can't be your first time having a dispute on the internet and you immediately drop the B word because you get called out for having a different opinion.

And sure, I may be a dumbass from time to time, this isn't one of them.

Skin up man - grow some thicker skin.

DD

glynch and RudyTBag like this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

i dont think literacy is your strong suit

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't think you have a clue about anyone on a BBS, but seem to be decent at projection.

Now go donate to the site and stop being a freeloader !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DD

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. bustamove

bustamove Member

just compare season averages

DaDakota likes this.
  8. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Cam shot 36% from 3 on the season
    94% of his 3's were assisted
    Shot 34% from the corners

Jalen shot 33% from 3 on the season
    55% of his 3's were assisted
    Shot 37% from the corners

To be simplistic about it, Cam shot better than Jalen by 3%. Digging into the numbers, Cam probably had more catch and shoot looks, Jalen took more self created looks. Degree of difficulty is definitely skewed. There's a separate discussion on how much of that is out of necessity or by choice.

If you want to split hairs, Jalen was better on long 2's (42% vs 37%) and free throws (80% vs 68%).

I wouldn't call either of them good shooters. They're streaky, but show signs of becoming good.

Mathloom likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Are you comparing their rookie stats? If not, let’s at least acknowledge that Cam was a rookie, and Jalen was in his 3rd season (with little to show for shooting improvement over those 3 seasons). I don’t think Cam and Jalen are in the same tier as far as shooting potential. Rookies don’t typically come into the nba shooting 36%. Jalen’s heading into his 4th year just trying to shoot above 33%.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Cam was not a sharp shooter in college. (But I heard that part of the reason was that he's injured.) He seems to be more of an attacking kind of scorer.

His hot shooting at the beginning got us so excited that we kind of brush off the cold shooting toward the end.

Cam is kind of the opposite of Jalen. Hot first, cold later. If you compare their rookie seasons as a whole, Cam shot 36% (average) while Jalen shot 34% (below average but not terrible).

NewAge likes this.
  11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Right now, the only valid comparison between Green and Cam is rate of improvement. We'll see how both look early in the season, but I'm betting on Cam winning the rate of improvement race by a substantial margin. It'd be cool if Green proves me wrong though.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya. Everything about their roles were different. Green came in scoring mostly on ball doing things already like splitting doubles with a handle. Cam is stetting from a much lower place as a play finisher rather than a creator.

13. bustamove

bustamove Member

one is on his 4th year as PRO, the other on his 1st year

r-fan-since-81 and DaDakota like this.
  14. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Right, those were Jalen's stats from last year.

Rookie Jalen shot 34% from 3.
    66% assisted
    37% from the corner

Jalen's number of self created shots has increased, and his number of corner 3's has decreased every year. Which means fewer "easy" attempts. So I think the developmental issue is less "he hasn't improved his shooting" but more "he's taking too many difficult shots", because his mid range shooting actually has improved. But I think there's a whole separate discussion there.

Cam will probably increase his 3pt percentage next year because he'll continue getting a large amount of clean/assisted looks. Unless he starts taking a ton of self created 3's, which would also be great, because that means he's shown the coaches he's a good enough shooter to make those shots.

I'm not trying to prop up or bring down either of these guys. Just pointing out that an overall percentage doesn't tell the whole story if the players usage and roles are very different.

Stephen_A, KingCheetah and Aruba77 like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Cam has to be able to beat teams off the dribble to be an effective replacement for Jalen. I believe that is the only reason the Rockets are holding on to Jalen. They just have no one to play that role in the half-court. If streak Jalen shows up he is one of the best SG’s in the league. Unfortunately the odds are pretty low on him playing like that consistently.

glynch likes this.
  16. bustamove

bustamove Member

you cannot simply make that assumption without looking at the actual numbers

this year Jalen's catch & shoot or as you would say "easy attempts" 3P% is 31.6% one of the worst on the rockets

that's why people believe he's not a good 3 pt shooter and may never be. On his 3rd year he's still shooting 31.6% on catch & shoot / "easy" from beyond the arc

for the same east 3pt attempts, Cam's is 42.8% the best on the rockets

source: stats.nba.com

clutchdabear and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

What happened to the GOOD OLE' DAYS when we could disagree without being volatile?? Lol

Everybody is on attack mode if you disagree with them

DaDakota likes this.
  18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Dunno, bunch of thin skinners....

DD

hlmbasketball likes this.
  19. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Vaccines and fluoride in the water

pippendagimp and harold bingo like this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Sounds like Jalen needs to learn how to move within the offense when he's off ball to get himself open shots.

Even Steph was at 61% for made threes assisted and hes the goat shooter. Such a poor shooter like Jalen should be looking to get easier shots. Maybe thatd help him shoot better and not be getting compared to a rookie late first round pick when hes in his third year as the second overall player from his draft.