1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He has a winning mentality and puts in winning effort making winning plays. Rockets have a few guys like that.

2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

If he cannot shoot at least 40% at the 3 point range, we need to get rid of him

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  3. PeppermintCandy

I'm happy with Smith and the progress he's made, but the big question for me is whether he'll be able to build up enough mass and strength going forward. He's still very young so it seems likely that it happens.

According to the internet, his dad, Jabari Sr., was 250 lbs when he was drafted at 23. That's about 30 lbs heavier than Smith Jr. right now, who's 21.

Then again, probably due to the extra weight, Sr. played a very different game. He was more of the typical "big" power forward and much less mobile than his son is.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think you can extract anything from Senior's career, it was short lived and nothing of importance.

roslolian likes this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

he is not and is nowhere near being that. Bro is slow, can't jump, average defender, average shooter, minus ballhandler, can't pass. Length makes up for most of his problems but he cant be face of the league of any kind without both athleticsm and technical skill

Crashlanded19 and cheke64 like this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

if by winning you mean bricking every important free throw then I don't know what you mean

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yes, like missing 2 freethrows to win the game.

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You focus on the negative. Maybe you’re a negative person. Glass half empty person. But if you understood what you watched then you would know that he rebounds, brings defensive intensity, and has the mindset to get better. He drastically improved and added new layers to his game this past season. So stop being impatient and enjoy his growth

Strawberry Gum and Hemingway like this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

To judge a player by one game is ignorant. The whole body of work needs to be looked at. If you are going to respond to my post with a snarky and irreverent comment then at least back it up with analysis. Or not

Hemingway likes this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why is he a starter in the league? Im glad you’re not a scout or GM.

He’s a stretch 4. His primary job isn’t passing or facilitating. He stretches defenses with 3pt shooting, dribble drives when he has the lane, sets screens, dribble handoffs and is learning to play within the flow of this new offense and its concepts. His shooting and ball handling has improved and understands his assignments on weak side help. Let’s see where his growth takes him.

#2010 Stephen_A, May 23, 2024
    Last edited: May 23, 2024
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who? Jabari or Jalen?

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The one who currently doesn't do much else on offense besides take jump shots from teammates creating for him.

Probably not the one who collapses defenses and has immense scoring gravity.

Crashlanded19 and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm actually excited about seeing Bari's year 3. Interesting that both Bari and Alpi are incorporating boxing into their off-season programs. From a hand-eye coordination and endurance perspective, I'll be watching to see improvements in these areas.

Personally, I think Bari is perfect PF to develop next to Alpi. I believe his shot will get better and better as his confidence/experience continue to grow. Defensively, he's super sound positional defender and a sneaky rim protector (hope this area continues to develop).

We saw improvement from Yr1 to Yr2 in his overall game and I expect that to continue. With Eason back, I'm looking forward to Bari at 5, Tari at 4, and Dillion at 3 for some small ball defensive line-ups when Ime needs 3 dawgs.

Bari's seems to have a good head on his shoulders and his family support to help him stay focused. Yr3 should be even better for him and our team.

14. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Is this Sengun or Jabari? Jabari can atleast shoot though

Stephen_A likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

LOL. I'd say rebounding is a big plus for Jabari. As for Jalen, he is over hyped. One day he might be a proficient shooter, but it's grueling to watch the games he shoots at a horrific percentage. If only he could collapse defenses then kick that ball out more to good shooters instead of tossing bricks or getting blocked at the rim.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is funny the same people losing their mind on the 2fts want Reed "3 pts in MM" Sheppard in the draft.

leebigez and Stephen_A like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We went over this before.

I can show you that Green has significantly better impact on the team.

Do you want me to do it again?

Your mindset is what allows someone to say unhinged things like Kenyon Martin Jr.last season was a better scorer than SGA or Devin Booker because his scoring efficiency was higher.

That's where your logic leads to.

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

LOL. I guess everyone's unhinged in expecting a starting SG to be a highly proficient shooter.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Still love Jabari Smith Jr.

Not a superstar, but a super important role player. Keep this kid please.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wait, you want a SHOOTING guard to know how to SHOOT?

Unhinged.

AroundTheWorld and deb4rockets like this.