1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.9%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.7%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.2%
  5. Zach Edey

2.9%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.0%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.7%
  9. Nikola Topić

8.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.0%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. The chances of either Clingan or Edey ever developing an outside shot are quite low. So you will have to hope that Sengun will be able to shoot in order for these guys to play with him.

OremLK and clutchdabear like this.
  2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I said in my initial response to you that Mitchell is a smaller guard. Then I compared him to Beal and said he's an undersized guard. The only thing convenient is that you seem to have forgotten that.

My point has always been that Mitchell is a smaller guard, is coming off his most injury plagued season, and is due a huge payday. I don't want to invest in that. If he was a bigger player that I thought could take more punishment with age I'd feel differently.

#2022 gmoney411, May 22, 2024
    Last edited: May 22, 2024
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Trade down and get this guy towards the end of the lottery.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Now that's what I'm looking for. VanVleet can't stay with faster guards in the NBA.

Rockets need some help there if Amen is needed elsewhere on defense.

Good find.

coachbadlee likes this.
  5. PeppermintCandy

Nikola Topić looks like a cross between Tony Parker and Manu Ginóbili. He's fated to end up on the Spurs.

clutchdabear and Aruba77 like this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

And constantly be on the injured list.

r-fan-since-81, Easy, cml750 and 3 others like this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Tidjane Salaun is the Youngest Player in the Draft, Still Growing, 6'9. 18.8 years old. Very Athletic, Lateral Quickness, Smart off Ball.

Giannis grew 2 inches 6'9 to 6'11, same with Alperen Sengun 6'9 to 6'11

#2027 rockets1995, May 23, 2024
    Last edited: May 23, 2024
    TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Nope more like Jimmer Fredette.

Reed Sheppard 6'1 shorter than Rob Dillingham a Point Guard

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It's really hard to completely give up on Jalen ..... for him to be a really good player, it's a matter of his shot falling on a much more consistent basis. He could figure it out and be that player we expected on draft day ..... or he could keep teasing us like a schoolgirl.

The big issue with Jalen going forward is his rookie contract is set to expire ..... and he's going to expect a max extension which he hasn't earned - at least in my opinion. I'd have to let him hit RFA and see where the offers came in at because there is definitely a point at which I walk away - he's simply not worth $38,775,000 unless there's a significant improvement.

It's guys like this that make or break a GM ..... as a fan its incredibly frustrating.

I think, at least for now (subject to change on a whim), I'm content with going into the season with Jalen still on the roster and penciled in as the starter (BUT - I do want a hedge at the position ) ..... along with the rest of the young core.

If we're 25 games in and he's playing as poorly as he was at that point this past season, it's time to move on and at least recoup an asset in the process. Give some other team his bird rights and let them gamble ....

As for the 3 pick, I'm looking at shooters - Risacher & Sheppard top my list. Cody Williams also has my attention .... I like Castle an awful lot but hesitate to take another dude who struggles from distance..

There are some good shooters to target in the 2nd round too - Three flirted with 50/40/90 seasons

Ajay Mitchell .504/393/.858
    Cam Spencer .484/.440/.911
    "The other Kentuckey guard", Antonio Reeves - .512/.447/.863.

Spencer & Reeves were seniors while Mitchell was a junior.

jim1961, Easy, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't want anything to do with Holland (24%) or Buzelis (26%). Both struggled to shoot it in the G-League and we've been down that road before and have more project shooters than I can stand.

Give me a knock down shooter .... no funny business.

jim1961, ArtV, Aruba77 and 2 others like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's no joke. If there is no significant improvement in shot proficiency, especially from behind the arc, and in TO/ASST ratio, then I wouldn't offer him more than the ave contract for a bench player or 6th man.

12. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

So we are back to square one.
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/donovan-mitchell.323237/page-12

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This is my guy. We should swing for the fence.

rockets1995 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is a trap because once he got that contract, see him revert back to pedestrian shooting again......

Other players have done that way before he was even born.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A very well thought out post. I agree with you on all points apart from considering Cody Williams. He lacks confidence in my opinion.

16. NewAge

NewAge Member

dear god, Sheppard looks like a 6th grader here… Disturbing. How is he gonna be in an NBA game?
    I’d like to change my answer to Clingan, please.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They literally measured them at the combine. Sheppard is taller than Dillingham. And they’re both PGs.

The laziest comp possible is Jimmer. Dillingham is closer to Jimmer. Small, offense only PG that is terrible on defense

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Shooting scares me so I don't particularly want Castle, Holland, or Matas. That said, I don't expect the Rockets go with fit as I think Stone is still very open on how the future turns out (i.e., I don't think anyone is set in Stone as a Rocket 4 years from now though some players have much better odds).

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How Udoka is coaching JG4 is a mystery to me. JG4 every game gets his shots, whether he is feeling it or not. I can not believe that this is how Udoka want his O to be run, which leads me to guess that Udoka has not fully installed his O package. If this is the case, I have even more open questions about JG4 and his ability to be part of a well run NBA O.

We do know from JG4's own post game comments, that sometimes he forgets that he needs to actively rebound the D glass. Sometimes he just stands there waiting for the rebound to come to him. A lesson most of us learned in middle school basketball, JG4 will sometimes forget.