1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Of all the position players the Astros have developed internally who have posted at least one 3+ fwar season for them in the last decade, Altuve and McCormick are the only ones who weren’t on any Top 100 lists before they came up (unless you count Marwin, who was a Rule 5 guy). Correa, Pena, Bregman, Tucker, Springer, and Alvarez were all Top 100 prospects, with Correa, Bregman, and Tucker being Top 20 guys.

ryan_98 and juicystream like this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You can view rankings for players by viewing their Baseball-reference pages and clicking minor league stats. They show BA, MLB, & BP top 100 rankings. BP was very high on Pena, ranking him for 3 years, and as high as 16. TheBaseballCube will show you some more prospect rankings if you search a player on there including where they were ranked at the team level.

Bregatron, The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Honestly conditioning is my biggest concern with him. I am sold on his bat.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Why on earth would I explore these numbers when you already have them.

that would be an outward display of initiative, which I like to keep close to the vest.
    The more people see you do. The more they expect.
    I have my wife trained to get excited when I put the toilet seat down at this point.

5. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Between all the different rankings and then re-ranking after guys graduate and before the season is complete, so a lower pool of overall players...I think a better way to discuss this would be what astros players were consensus top 50 players. The list shrinks down drastically. Between all the lists, you are looking at 150 guys making one list or another, then after 15 or 20 guys graduate the pool of players are so low.

Jeremy Pena was not a highly acclaimed prospecto.
    Yainer Diaz was not a highly acclaimed prospect.
    Springer and Correa were of course. Whitley was. Tucker was. Bregman was. Javier was not. Luis García was not.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The pandemic season created a weird stasis period for prospects.

Maybe they wouldn't have been consensus top 50, but if the 2020 season had played out as scheduled Luis Garcia and Jeremy Pena would have been consensus top 75 players at some point. I think there's a good chance Javier and Meyers would have appeared on lists as well.

7. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Melton's age/level numbers do compare favorably (only slightly) to Chas's, but Tucker as a 20 year old at AA was putting up better numbers across the board than Melton is as a 23 year old at AA. Tucker's age 20 AA numbers are more what I would expect from a MLB top 40 prospect than Melton's age 23 AA numbers.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Melton is somewhat similar to Springer in they were both power/speed guys with swing and miss concerns. Melton’s AA numbers match up pretty well with Springer’s; Melton may end up with less power but more speed, but still similar value.

9. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a 23 year old, Springer had a .978 OPS in AA in 323 PA then got promoted to AAA and put up a 1.050 OPS in 266 PA. So far this season Melton has a .788 OPS in 134 PA. Let's see if Melton heats up, but I think Springer's numbers put him a tier or two above Melton as a prospect.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jeron Williams led off Asheville's game with a home run, his 5th of the season.

11. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Luis Baez compares pretty favorably to Marcell Ozuna at a similar age and level.

12. HeyBudLetsParty

3rd baseman of the future?

raining threes likes this.
  13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ethan Pecko shoved for Fayetteville tonight: 5 IP, 3 H, ER, 9 K

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

#1135 tellitlikeitis, May 22, 2024
    Last edited: May 22, 2024
  16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Colin Barber (4) and Pascanel Ferreras both homered for Corpus Christi tonight. Ferreras has six home runs on the season, so he's hit three for Asheville and now three for Corpus.

panamamyers and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros believe he can play CF. They kept Melton over the two prospects the Mets got for Verlander - because they believed in Melton in CF and the other guy they felt was a corner guy.

Melton is the classic very high ceiling but very low floor prospect. Blazing speed with tons of athleticism and power.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Not me - but I’m in the minority.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Pena and Alvarez were added to the top 100 lists late - after they had already broken out, and neither were valued close to their actual performance… I got into a full blown argument with Keith Law over Alvarez because he claimed he couldn’t put Alvarez in the top 50 because of his glove.

Same with a lot of Astros prospects… Framber, Javier… Urquidy made some top 100 lists late… McCullers was top 75.

Tucker was top 15-20 but that was an under estimate as well.

Yanier Diaz even snuck in some top 100 lists.

Screaming Fist and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Germán Ramirez hit his first home run of the year today in the FCL.

Snake Diggit likes this.