1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Ripley

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, May 8, 2024.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Enjoying this quite a bit. It's better than the (decent) film, and beautifully shot in black and white. But it's definitely a slow burn crime thriller.

There aren't too many shows like this where the main character is the antagonist, with no redeeming qualities.

Entropy and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

It's quite good, highly recommended.

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

This is based on the Matt Damon movie plot? Looks good and Dakota Fanning is really good

4. Commodore

Yes, although I think it was originally a novel.

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

ROCKSS and Commodore like this.
  6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Both the movie and this show are based off a series of novels written by Patricia Highsmith back in the 50s. It's good stuff. While the Damon/Jude Law movie was very good, this adaptation is more faithful to the spirit of the original books. The Ripley character is supposed to be more obviously slimy/creepy than the charming version that Damon played.

Buck Turgidson, Commodore and ROCKSS like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Andrew Scott nailed it, the Italian detective was my second favorite actor/character. Loved the noir atmosphere and cinematography, but I'm a sucker for that genre.

They set it up perfectly for a sequel series, I hope it happens.

ROCKSS and Entropy like this.
  8. Entropy

Entropy Member

Great series. It makes you root for Ripley despite him being a sociopath because of how hard he has to work to succeed.

9. Commodore

my only gripe is

despite being a missing person, Ravini did not have any urgency to find out what Tom Ripley looked like or for a photograph. An obvious question to ask Marge or Ripley himself (posing as Dickey), which would have given away Ripley's entire con. Ripley would have known this as well, yet operated as if that wasn't a concern.

The wig as a successful disguise was also pretty weak, but plausible I suppose.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Yep, I thought that and then said: "**** it, just let it roll"

11. adoo

adoo Member

the Italian detective asked for, and received, passport from
    • whom he thought was American Expat Dicke (impersonated by Ripley) and
    [​IMG]

• Ripley as himself, with facial hair and a wig, in his new dig (interntionally darken by the con man) in Vencie,
    [​IMG]

my gripe,

why did marge send her newly published book, written in English, that has a photo of the real Dickie to detective Ravini, whose English is limited.

i can see her sending her new book to Ripley, if she has his new address, or Dickie's family in NY, not the Italian detective Ravini​

#11 adoo, May 22, 2024
    Last edited: May 22, 2024
  12. adoo

adoo Member

dickie's dad and his hired private detective traveled to Italy to intervew with Ripley and Marge.to get details on Dickie
    why didn't he try to get in touch with the Italian detective to get more details on the Freddie miles murder case, with Dickie as the suspect

it could be that the Itlaian detective's English is limited

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Based on the thread title, I was hoping it was a show based on the main character of Alien.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I assumed it was another misadventure of the fella behind, "....believe it or not!"

15. Buck Turgidson

Awesome tv show way back when

MadMax likes this.