1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Houston Rockets options with the #3 pick of the 2024 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 21, 2024.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

The pod I have been waiting for!

upload_2024-5-21_10-55-55.gif

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

good listen! My top 3 are same as @Clutch: sheppard, castle, clingan (not #4, though, ricasner is "no" for me)
    I also wondered why Castle gets so little talk. Reminds me of Scottie Barnes a bit.

Sometimes it’s not so complicated: the two best players on the national champion and a KY guard…

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

There's so much time between now and the draft but it feels like those three are the most "Ime" of the bunch to me. I could see Risacher getting a lot of interest from the front office.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

All I’m saying is that last year I canceled my flight to Vegas Summer League after Amen got hurt 1st game. This year I’ve already booked my flight for the first game on July 12th.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Need a recap or transcript. A whole hour plus of talking?
    [​IMG]

7. prs325

prs325 Member

Need a quiet hour to concentrate

wlekfjv923n, clos4life and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Needed to be shirtless.......that is all.

Good stuff.

DD

vince, coachbadlee and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. OkayAyeReloaded

Honestly don't really say this about individual Rockets commentary, but I agree with just about everything said here lol.

Very good, insightful and well thought out analysis. Great episode

Clutch, vince and don grahamleone like this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I’m a day late, a dollar short, but….. !!!!!

[​IMG]

Clutch, vince and sirjesse like this.
  11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

You still first page royalty!
    upload_2024-5-22_20-22-56.gif

Little Bit and don grahamleone like this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

13. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

So interesting Clutch thinks so highly of Clingan. I'm not high on him but I value Clutch's assessment highly. Clutch also thinks very high of Castle. This draft is supposed to be weaker but so fun to watch for that reason as a fan.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm all for trading down. This is a role player draft. No real superstars. Just 2nd tier all stars. Trade down from 3 and up from 42. We have decent shooting. Might as well bolster your defense.

fattz and OremLK like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What this draft and previous drafts taught us that it is not all Black and White.

Some people are high on this player, others high on that player.....in the end someone surprises you.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you are going to shove Bruno Fernando, Mo Bamba, and a fistful of trade proposals in my face year after year after year, yeah, you might as well shove Donovan Clingan in there too. :D

Come one, come all! Try your luck at supplanting the great Alperen Sengun! (Good luck!)

#16 RudyTBag, May 24, 2024
    Last edited: May 24, 2024
  17. NewAge

NewAge Member

Why can’t Sengun/Clingan be the mayo version of Horford/TimeLord that Ime had in Boston? Theoretically, down the road?

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Neither Sengun or Clingan will ever be able to guard the perimeter one on one. They cannot co-exist on the floor at the same time. If you are drafting Clingan it is for the back up center position and that probably doesn’t happen this upcoming season if Adams stays healthy. He is just a bad fit for this team. Sengun is our center and Jabari will play more in that capacity as he gets stronger. I’m usually for bpa, but I don’t think there is anyone in this draft that jumps out as a tier above anyone else (maybe Sarr I guess). Clingan would be a good fit in SA, because Wemby can be a more effective perimeter defender and doesn’t have the bulk to play center (IE Sengun’s 40+ performance against him).

Hive5, saleem, sydmill and 3 others like this.
  19. vince

vince Member

The prospects of staying at #3 appears more intriguing. I think there is a good player there, a championship caliber piece. Castle is growing on me, to the point it’s looking more and more like he will be the #2 pick, as some have described him as a Scottie Barnes motor and impact at the SG position.

As of now even though we have seen tremendous upside from Green, Amen, Whitmore, Eason, Jabari, none have grabbed the bull by the horn like Sengun. But I’m still very high on all of them, without being all in on any of them just yet. At this moment Green and Thompson have flashed superstar vibes, but they still have glaring question marks to their overall game.

But even then, Sengun has a lot of defensive shortcomings, that too often that is the difference between championship or just a worthy opponent for the eventual champion (the bridesmaids and never the bride). Without a doubt, the Rockets are building a juggernaut, as none of their top draft picks have cradled, though they may have wallowed in mud at stretches, but they are all still very high with potential.

I’m also glad the a Rockets have the #3 pick, because it might be enticing enough to swing a trade; as teams are starting to get excited about 4 or 5 guys in particular. I don’t know if any of those 4-5 propagate upgrades over what the Rockets already have on the team, but they look to be good.

ico4498, Rashmon, fattz and 1 other person like this.
  20. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

??????????
    The Rockets were a top 10 defense and a bottom 10 3 point shooting team.