1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Supposedly fake news because the profile pic is from a Walmart ad
    per reddit

Although Keldon could still be moved.... that particular story appears to be fake

2. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Issac can never stay healthy. It would be a waste of assets

baller4life315 and saleem like this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That;'s hilarious. Someone created a fake account to post fake Keldon Johnson news?

baller4life315 likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen is our long-term pg. Bridges would be insurance for Jalen not working out. The trick is the price. FVV is fine as a pg as well. He played much faster once his minutes went down. I love Tari, but am concerned whether he can stay on the court. Cam is good too, but he is at least a year away in my opinion as a starter or 6th man. So cool, that we have so many positive assets and flexibility to get better.

theDude likes this.
  5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I usually try to do my homework, but I really couldn’t imagine someone taking the time to fake “breaking” Keldon Johnson news.

6. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I think it is based in reality (Keldon being traded)... but going the extra step to make fake "receipts" is interesting

7. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

#2147 dfbreyes, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
    fattz likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keldon and Sochan do not strike me as Must Keeps either....... Vassell was not so good last season either.

Would keep Tre Jones though, does not seem to be a big contract.

Guys like Champagnie and Branham are redundant as well, the Spurs have tons of unnecessary players who just take up space.

9. Houston77

Supporting Member

10. Houston77

Supporting Member

11. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

DAMN, depending on what site you look at for player rankings by position, 46% of our salary cap is going out to the #14-16 ranked PG in FVV and the #20-24 ranked small forward in DBrooks! That is horrible!

Did the team improve because of these signings or did the youngs guys just make solid leaps because of Udoka and staff?

I am starting to get on board drafting a PG if the plan is to phase out FVV after next season.

fattz likes this.
  12. theDude

Supporting Member

They’re still in “asset collection” mode. They have their clear cut #1, so they can keep adding BPA, then see who works well with him and consolidate from there.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don’t be stupid. We had to the spend the money and FVV can be moved or released his year. Brooks was not an overpay and can be moved at anytime.

14. theDude

Supporting Member

When you are the worst team in the league three years in a row, you can't just go into free agency and offer market value and expect players to sign up. We had a ton of cap room that we had to use, so we overpaid on a short term deal for FVV so that the money would come off the books when it was time to start extending our draft picks. Brooks is a litte more questionable, but he certainly addressed the team need for a defensive mind-set.

As for team success, I think Sengun obviously benefitted from having a new coach who used him more beneficially. Jabari was obviously a better player than he was his rookie year. Green showed a little growth on the defensive end. Tari's injury made it hard to judge him. But FVV is hands down a petter PG than KPJ and we benefitted greatly from having him here. Brooks takes over for Gordon and KMJ. You get about the same from Brooks offensively as you do from either of them, but the defensive upgrade it certainly there.

I do not see FVV as a long-term PG on this team. I would like to see them trade him for a younger PG, but I think he is ultimately just a placeholder for the larger contracts that will be given to Green and Sengun and they will hope to get a PG through the draft.

15. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Was not saying the team did anything wrong. Just saying for the 15th best PG and 22nd best SF in the NBA that is eating up 46% of our salary.
    Just seems crazy!

@theDude raises some valid points. Question will be are any of the PGs in this years draft worth the pick at 3 or do we go with one of the bigs?

Appreciate the insights.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Potential trade partners for Jalen Green:

Wizards
    Jazz
    Bulls
    Hornets
    Pels?

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Curious - what do you expect the return to be for Jalen?

I really struggle to put a value on him going forward.

fattz, Aruba77 and theDude like this.
  18. theDude

Supporting Member

More specifically, what would the return from each of those teams look like?

I think, generally speaking, you could get a productive player (not just salary filler) and a 1st.

Aruba77 likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

A 6'10 alleged two way player with excellent efficiency and on-ball skills and they don't want to offer him the max.

Something doesn't add up.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They paid Zion 5 yr / $197,230,450 .... and CJ McCollum is due $63,999,999 over the next two seasons. That's right at 50% of the salary cap on two players and Valanciunas is a FA with a cap hold of $23m.

Hard for a small market team to pay three or four dudes' big money.

Trey Murphy is due an extension after next season.

He also misses quite a few games each year, hard to invest more than the $36m they already pay him in a guy missing 20 games a season.

That said, should he be available, I like him at the right price (Brooks plus picks?)