1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donovan Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 15, 2024.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I think the Rockets would pull the trigger in trading Jalen, the 3rd pick, and a filler for DM. I think Cleveland would be asking for more. Again, we could just be there to dive the price up like always-.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm not a Mitchell fan and I don't see him being the piece that gets us a title.

CRJ713 likes this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

He's simultaneously both a potential star and a scrub.

DaDakota and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

After some consideration, I would trade Green but not the no. 3 pick (Sheppard). Would NOT trade Tari.

So if it's Green plus some future first and some filler like Landale, Tate, etc. - yes.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t think Mitchell is available. He’ll resign for the max and then dictate where he gets traded if it doesn’t work out.

Garland could be the guard that’s available but they’ll be looking for player upgrades around Mitchell. I can’t see the Cavs wanting to pair Mitchell with Green. FVV is the only guy we have that would fit what they are looking for. Not sure if swapping out FVV for Garland helps or hurts our playoff chances. Can’t see Ime being excited about that.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

upload_2024-5-23_0-11-20.png

plus some pick (not this year's)

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I don't at all see him as a lead player on a title contender.

But he gives us 2 years of competitive playoff basketball for our young guys to develop in the furnace.

It is possible to make multiple moves to eventually land the right player

J Sizzle and DaDakota like this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Bonus: This trade opens up 27 roster spots!

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

JB turned a tanking 14-win team into a 50-win team. But all coaches are judged by their playoffs success and failure, unless your name is Doc Rivers.

11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Easy likes this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Those advocating for trading for Mitchell realize he only has 1 year left on his contract, right?

13. IREYAT

IREYAT Member

I think the logical assumption is he'd have agree to a contract if we were to trade for him.

Denovo, Jags and Clutch City1993 like this.
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

At this point, I am expecting Mitchell to sign an extension with the Cavs, and for them to trade Garland. Should be interesting either way.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Garland is signed for 4 more years at 40M. That is an absolute hard no from me. Not even sure he is an upgrade over FVV and we can get rid of him anytime we want, because of the brilliant contract that Stone constructed.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Garland had two consecutive seasons going 22-8 at close to 40% 3pt shooting. FVV's best season was 20-7 at 38% 3pt shooting. And Garland is 6 years younger than Fred.

A 22-8 PG entering his prime can easily make 40M a year nowadays.

theDude likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Not arguing that he is a good offensive player. Just that he would kill our flexibility without moving the needle very much.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Understood. My point was, Garland would definitely be an upgrade over FVV if both were paid 40M per. The length though I agree is a consideration.

BUT, if Jalen does not pan out and Amen turns out to be not PG material, then spending money for a high end PG isn't all that bad. If I was going to trade Jalen+#3 to Cleveland, I'd rather have Garland than Mitchell. Neither looks like a top tier star. But Garland at least isn't as much a ballhog as Mitchell and much easier to fit Sengun.

19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the reasoning would be that over the next 4 years, FVV will only get worse while Garland could expect to get better. Once you have Garland, you don’t need the flexibility that FVV’s contract provides. Even so, everyone else is on a rookie contract, or an expiring one. There’s still plenty of flexibility.

Easy likes this.