1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 20, 2024.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Times are different and the game is different.

Fans can have their favorites, and prefer someone like Pete Rose (always expressive) over Rod Carew....... but most fans want to win, and great players come in all shapes and forms.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sure. It is easy to do worse. Unless Singleton starts hitting better, it is also easy to find someone better at a low cost.

I'm amazed that Blaze Alexander still grades lower than Singleton defensively (how can SS be allowed to play that bad defensively?). Jeremy Pena is having an off year defensively by only making 75% of the plays hit to SS area. Blaze is at 48%. Sweet Jesus, I don't know how DBacks fans and players can stand it knowing that a grounder to short is likely a hit or an error.

Edit: I'd have a lot less of a problem with Singleton being the DH when Yordan is in the OF.

#782 Joe Joe, May 22, 2024
    Last edited: May 22, 2024
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s easy to find someone posting a 110 wRC+ for league minimum? Guys like Rowdy Tellez are in range (but not as good) and even they make $3M+ in free agency.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Besides for the cheating thing, the way Hinch used Tucker was probably the worst game management thing he did. Tucker just had a really bad stretch of hitting the ball hard right at the IFs to start his career in the show and got less of a chance to play than Meyers did with one shoulder.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Singleton's defense has canceled out his offense so far leading to an fWAR of 0. Though if we are going to assume 128 PAs is sufficient to say a guy is a 110+ hitter, I give you Dubon as a 130 wRC+ hitter (over 239 PAs) that is no additional cost and a better defensive 1B.

Edit: Maybe I'm judging his defense too harshly based on a small sample size. It does not look good.

#785 Joe Joe, May 22, 2024
    Last edited: May 22, 2024
    The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. mightybosstone

Despite Abreu making nearly $20 million this season and next, if he was putting up the numbers that Singleton was this season, we'd all be (relatively) pleased with that. To have a guy making so little take over and providing a competent first base performance offensively and defensively saves them from having to invest millions more into still just getting competent production at the position. Singleton's definitely been an unsung hero this season, and I think he's earned the right to keep starting at first base for a while unless something changes with Abreu or the perfect trade situation presents itself.

Jake Tower, Stephen66, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  7. Radricky

Radricky Member

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

where the **** is Fido?

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah I don’t see much logic in playing Dubon in LF over Loperfido.

Stephen66 likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

With a lefty on the mound there's plenty of logic to starting Dubon, he consistently hits them.

What I don't understand is why they haven't played him at 1B...at all. Hell put Dubon over there today.

ROCKSS and Screaming Fist like this.
  11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

12. Screaming Fist

yeah it's really weird

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Hot 42 year prospect about to be called up there for that spot.

Stephen66 and ROCKSS like this.
  14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea his approach has always been good. A lot of his strikeouts are just not making contact on balls in the strikezone

Nook likes this.
  15. The Beard

Another case of just because someone stands on a certain side of the plate doesn't mean he will be better or worse

Jon actually has a .785 career OPS vs LHP but a .574 vs RHP

Yes Dubon has been great against LHP, but Jon shouldn't sit just because it's lefty vs lefty, it's actually the one thing he has done well for his entire career

marks0223 likes this.
  16. The Beard

I also don't see much logic in having him on the MLB roster just to sit

Kid needs to be playing even if its back at SL

Rick Sanders likes this.
  17. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pay the mfer

IBTL likes this.
  18. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member

Fucck the Yankees

19. The Beard

Jon is in the best stretch of his career

Abreu was sent down on May 1 and Jon took over 1B on a regular basis the day before, since that last day of April Jon has hit

.226 with an OPS of 742, 4 HR and 12 RBI in 19 games...that's basically a 30 HR/90 RBI pace if he did it over a complete season playing regularly

Do I personally believe he will keep a 742 OPS? I do not, especially because even during this 3 week stretch he has more K's than hits

But, so far he has definitely done the job

I also don't want Dubon playing as a regular anywhere, we need his versatility as we have a roster that doesn't have much of that, although he should be in the lineup somewhere pretty much every game against LHP

20. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member

I guess the "we're not bringing him up to sit him" went out the window into the pile of horseshit.

Radricky likes this.