1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Tari isn’t great off the dribble when he drives from the perimeter. He loses his handle and doesn’t have a face up one on one game really. Needs to work on explosiveness from there. So control, balance, and explosion. Also needs a mid range game like a transition to pull up 15-18 ft shot.

topfive likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree with strength. Needs to pack on 10 plus pounds. Needs to work on post game. Also what I saw this year is he needs to work on exploding off the dribble on his way to the paint when he pumps fake to a dribble drive or when he’s ran off the line. I agree he needs to be more fluid but he likely will never have the smooth handles like the guys you mentioned. Just not the same kind of player.

He does need to work on a better pull up game. Right now he has that one dribble pull up but I would like to see him slow down his dribble with a cross then thru the leg transition to pull up. This gives him a threat to go to the rim or pull up as he freezes the defender. Right now he is too predictable with that one dribble pull up since teams know he doesn’t explode well off the dribble. Needs that explosion off that zero or gather step as well

Bearius Jones likes this.
  3. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

If Jabari puts in the work, he can be a more fluid athlete. However, I don't think he will be a fluid athlete. It's usually obvious which prospects have a knack for smooth movement and he has yet to display it. But he has shown last off-season that he will work on his flexibility, reaction speed, strength, and footwork which should make him smoother as an athlete.

He definitely is more or less an average foot athlete. Maybe some hill and sand training can push him to better than average.

You may believe he won't be special but I believe he has something to prove so it's possible that he can be special if he puts the right work in.

Stephen_A likes this.
  4. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Agreed. Jabari having a handle like the tall premium scorers of Durant, George, or McGrady is highly unlikely if nigh impossible now but just having a better handle than then average big would do him wonders on his self creation. That should be obtainable.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think his earliest Comp was Rashard Lewis....just shooting the rock but Rashard learned a lot from Ray Allen in terms of professionalism, mechanics, lifestyle.

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He literally just turned 21. Do you know realize how silly these proclamations are given his age?

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I saw great development in his game this past season. He tightened up his handle as he was able to take the ball up full court. He implemented between the legs then go move on the perimeter. He is more aggressive driving to the paint and finishing. Just needs to work on those things I mentioned plus use his body more when in the paint and maybe with more strength he will do this. I think body control is an issue for him since he doesn’t contort his body or change his angle of attack well like when he does a euro step or go up for a layup with a defender in front of him.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm fairly certain that's what Udoka is asking of his younger players - the problem was less of Jabari physically can't string together better moves, it was that he wasn't making the right reads when he did that or he was taking too long to make the reads so the decision tree is much simpler now. Once Jabari can nail that, then he can progress to taking a few more steps and start mixing it up a bit...but it's the processing and recognition that he needed to work on FIRST.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He was undrafted ,not chosen 3rd. You choose a guy top 3, he supposed to be a multi all star and pushing all nba. Do you see that out of Jabari? Naz was undrafted and played on a 1 yr contract. Then a 3 yr contract, before getting rewarded again. Naz is also athletic at almost 270lbs. He's a good foot athlete

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think those expectations are fair for #1 in a normal draft class. For #3 in a typical draft, you hope for those things but you're still happy if you get a quality starter. And in any draft class, you can only take what you are given. In Bari's draft, the only guy taken after him I'm fairly confident will be a better player is J-Dub. That was a whiff by our front office, but to be fair, it would have been viewed as a huge reach, and eight other front offices also made the same mistake.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19: 2.6 FTA
    20: 2.4 FTA

He needs to be an elite shooter, and he needs to be more physical in general.

He is not a creative basketball player. He does not love contact. However, neither did Klay Thompson.

What I really wish he would do is creep off his man and provide more help, ala Kevin Garnett. When you see Jabari in person, it is stunning. He is absolutely gigantic and can physically match up with anyone. Chet, Wemby, you name it. Sometimes though, he can get lost in a game with his own man, when what we NEED him to do is defend multiple players out of his own area, like all great defenders do.

Jabari's path to greatness lies in his intensity and his help defense. He needs to be contesting more shots than Kevin Durant.

Rudyc281, ArtV and cheke64 like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll add that Jabari has an absolutely sublime frame to pack on some more muscle.

I am of the opinion that we have ZERO size issues with Tari+Jabari+Alperen. Sit courtside and watch our frontline of 20-year-olds do work. Imagine when they are 25. Our guys are right on track to be a strong two-way front-line...

Easy, Rudyc281 and clos4life like this.
  13. MystikArkitect

He can't shoot and he's 4 inches shorter than Jabari. Bad touch around the rim and not the greatest feel for the game unless there's a loose ball at which point his feel for the game is in the 99th percentile. He's more like usable Jaesean Tate. Which is still really good. I just see people wanting to promote him to the 4 which I think is ridiculous.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, we can't keep harping on the 3rd Overall selection forever, he is his own man......

Naz has played his way up to being considered worth a 1st round pick......

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honestly, he's very similar to Corey Brewer who had a decent career. Kinda a headless chicken when he has to do something with the ball that doesn't involve hustling like creating something off the dribble.

But is a 110% effort guy with great length and instincts going after the ball.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Working on individual moves and skills they’re lacking is part of the constant evolution of players as they add new layers to their game each year. Processing and recognition concepts is what coaches preach no doubt but development and evolution isn’t limited to one thing in a certain period in time. Im sure Bari is in the lab with private trainers working on the physical parts of the game as we speak or in this case type.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why do you have the thought process of “well player x is a lottery pick, which should yield y results”? No one is saying anything about stardom. There’s a lot of uncertainty in professional sports. That’s your thought process and your unrealistic ecxpectations put upon him as a fan. He happened to be one of the better players in that draft. Each player grows and develops differently. Your unrealistic expectations are irrelevant to his growth and evolution as a player.

cbass likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Naz Reid wouldn't go undrafted in a redraft he'd go in the top 5. You can argue he can go 2nd after Ja Morant.

Have you seen Naz Reid solo Jokic? I'm gonna be honest if Minny offered Naz Reid for Jabari straight up I'd def think about it long and hard.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

His handle has already improved greatly since his rookie year. Back then he could barely keep a dribble with his face to the basket. Hopefully he continues to get better.

Mathloom, Stephen_A and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Agree but my point is that Jabari having a relatively simple number of moves he demonstrates in games is a symptom of adherence to a coaching preference rather than a lack of creativity. I think we found in his rookie year that he is willing to be more aggressive offensively-it’s just that he danced around too much without creating real advantages and more often found himself a victim of better defense because he wasn’t reading his defender well enough.