1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I get that these are voluntary but when your new and making that much money, don't you want to come in and endure yourselves to your new teammates? oh well............and what happened to Tunsil after he got his new contract saying he was going to be a leader, yet never shows up for these.

2. Champs

Champs Member

From Cody Stoots:

Here are 11 observations from the OTA.

1. Kenyon Green stole the show Tuesday. Linemen can’t get too much done in an OTA practice, but you can do a lot by showing up in shape when you're Green. He looks completely different from previous years. His belly is nearly gone. Green doesn’t look ill-suited to play guard though. He has worked hard to transform his body. This is a great development on two fronts for Green. First, he seems ready to attack a make-or-break offseason and preseason for him. Second, if he’s been able to put in this large amount of work he probably is as healthy as he’s ever been in the NFL.

2. Dameon Pierce transformed his body too. Pierce was another 2022 draft pick by the Texans who had a disappointing 2023 season like Green and safety Jalen Pitre. Pierce looks to have trimmed up and maybe has even added some speed and quickness based on a few receiving reps he took in practice. The biggest development will be between the ears. The system prevented Pierce from executing last year and cost him his job. He’s fighting for running back two which will also include needing to be useful on special teams.

3. DeMeco Ryans said Pierce is in a “clear headspace” as he approaches this season. This is the development Pierce needs. It felt like he was thinking too much last season and sometimes just made a decision regardless of what he was supposed to do on that play. Ryans also said Pierce has put in the work every day of the offseason program and Pierce “has everything it takes” to be a good running back.

4. Kamari Lassiter didn’t look slow.There has been plenty of conversation about his speed since he ran a slow 40-yard dash ahead of getting drafted but he didn’t look slow in these workouts. The play from Lassiter that stood out to me was recognizing and diagnosing a pass dumped off to Cade Stover and closing with intense quickness. Lassiter and Stover would have had quite the collision in live action, I probably would have favored Lassiter based on the momentum. Lassiter showcased his ability to line up in a multitude of places as well.

5. Cade Stover is still learning but there’s plenty to like about his game now. Tight end Dalton Schultz said after practice Stover has beaten him to some meetings already and said the rookie tight end said he is still new to the position so he will look to Schultz to learn. Stover carried a defender like a backpack and kept moving as another defender closed on him. Despite all that he snagged the ball out of the air. It was a great pass from Davis Mills and Stover ripped it down surehandedly. There’s something there for Stover now and if he can get deeper into the position, watch out.

6. I don’t envy the job that Jeff Okudah and C.J. Henderson have to do. They are each vying for the starting cornerback spot opposite Derek Stingley and this wide receiver group makes it tough to have consistently good cornerback reps. Henderson fell victim to the patented Nico Collins in-breaking route and Okudah saw Xavier Hutchinson leave him in the dust on one play.

7. Speaking of Derek Stingley, he had an interception during practice. It was one of the lone miscues of the day for C.J. Stroud and Nico Collins. Stingley read the play and slid feet first toward the sideline snagging the ball before he went out of bounds. He makes hard things look easy at the cornerback spot.

8. Tank Dell looks great for someone who was involved in a shooting and suffered a wound due to said shooting. It is fantastic that the situation wasn’t worse and it is great to see Dell dicing up defenders as usual. Dell didn’t do all the workouts but when he was on the field, he was successful. I can’t wait to see Dell, Nico Collins, and Stefon Diggs (absent from OTAs) together on the field.

9. Xavier Hutchinson looked good during practice. He knows there is competition up and down the depth chart at wide receiver and he made the most of his opportunities in practice. Hutchinson got C.J. Henderson one time and I believe I saw him best rookie safety Calen Bullock as well. Robert Woods was also present and looked solid. He caught what appeared to be a no-look pass from Stroud. It felt like Woods would be shown the door, and he still might, but he looked in good shape and ready to compete.

10. Juice Scruggs looked to be in fantastic shape. The NFL offseason did him well. He looked more muscular than I remember. Rookie tackle Blake Fisher didn’t look out of place on the offensive line. He’s bigger than a lot of his fellow linemen. For what an OTA rep is worth, Will Anderson easily ate Fisher’s lunch on a pass rush moments after I observed to myself that Fisher didn’t look out of place.

11. John Metchie has stiff competition for his job but Metchie isn’t going quietly. Metchie looked quick and fast in his route running on Tuesday. He changed speeds effortlessly and blew past one defender for a near touchdown. I say near touchdown because it hit Metchie in the hands and bounced away from him. He also made an excellent adjustment on the ball to even be in position to make the play. Not a positive play but not as negative as it would seem.
    Here are additional observations.

• Laremy Tunsil, Stefon Diggs, Danielle Hunter, Shaq Mason, and Tytus Howard were not present at OTAs. The workouts are optional for the players to attend.

• Kendrick Green, Teagan Quitoriano, Andrew Beck, and the Janke twins were at practice but not practicing.

• Rookie linebacker Jamal Hill doesn’t look like a safety masquerading as a linebacker. He physically looks like a linebacker.

• Rookie defensive tackle Marcus Harris does not look like a defensive tackle. I don’t buy his listed height, 6’3”, or weight, 295. He looks a lot closer to a linebacker than a defensive tackle. Looks can be deceiving and I won’t be able to take too much out of some non-padded practice reps.

• Joe Mixon looks like he plays a different sport than last year’s leading rusher Devin Singletary. Mixon has a bulky lower half and looks big but not bulky. His agility seems effortless sometimes.

• Rookie running back Jawhar Jordan made a nice cut between what looked to be a tight end and a lineman for a nice gain. It was hard to see what defenders were present but Jordan showcased some vision.

• Jarrett Patterson was practicing. He ended last season on the injured reserve. He was in good shape like many of the linemen seemed to be. He should be a factor in the guard competition.

• I loved the mentality of DeMeco Ryans when he was asked about the schedule, particularly the stretch coming out of the bye week where the team plays three times in less than two weeks. Ryans said “I appreciate the question about the three games in 10 days, [but] that’s so far away that we can’t do anything about that right now. We don’t schedule the games. With other teams, that’s been done before. So, it’s not like it’s something that’s never been done before. We’ll figure out a way to make it work.”

• The next open workout is a week from Thursday. We will have plenty between now and then here on the site. Thanks for reading.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Not sure you are supposed to do this. Isn't this his subscription thing you have to pay for? I wouldn't care if it was ESPN paid content, but a local, small guy should not have his paid content posted here. Maybe post his video instead so he gets paid for engagement

4. Champs

Champs Member

Just a taste on the good work Cody does and all the more reason to subscribe!

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Strange to me that we couldn't go a day after signing Diggs without seeing him working out with other Texans on the gram.
    Maybe he is tired from his Instagram junket.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

ahh yes OTA and training camp reports, where every single player "looks good"

raining threes likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

IF Kenyon Green lives up to his draft spot it would do wonders for the O line. CJ has weapons galore just needs protection.

If we miss the injury bug this year we could witness something very special.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, the 2025 Super Bowl chase is more wide open than usual. It's logical to rate the Chiefs & 49ers as #1 in their conferences, but I would not be surprised if neither team ends up in the SB.

I also think it's crazy to put the Jets in the top 4 in the AFC, but they are a trendy pick for several reasons.

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

66 days and Counting, and I Can't Wait!

With our Rookie of the Year CJ firing those bullets to the best WR trio in the league, with Collins, Dell, and Diggs, this is going to be so much fun to watch. The Texans have never had this type of aerial threat before.

Then, just wait until our other Rookie of the year Anderson steps it up another notch with the additions of Hunter and Autry making us a sack attack waiting to feed on the opponents. They had a combined 35 sacks last year!!!

We have a great coach, who is capable of getting Coach of the Year, another promising rookie at TE, a RB upgrade, secondary upgrade, and some added depth at WR and other positions. All we need is for a little good luck with a less injury riddled season, and this team is a serious Superbowl contender.

This season is going to be fun, and I can't wait.
    Go Texans!

houstonstime likes this.
  13. steveng125

steveng125 Member

How’s the state of the Texans? Is it worth going to?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Are we just saving the 18mil? I guess we will use some on waived guys throughout training camp, but I feel like we could use some on a DB/DL or something no?

jch1911 likes this.
  17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Word on the street is CB2.

houstonstime likes this.
  18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

JJ watt money

houstonstime and jch1911 like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/fpi/_/view/projections/sort/projections.probwintitle/dir/desc

Texans:
    Projected W/L: 10-7 (9.6-7.4)
    Playoffs: 64.6%
    Win division: 50.9%
    Make divisional playoffs: 40%
    Make conference championship: 19.9%
    Make Super Bowl: 9.4%
    Win Super Bowl: 4.1%

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-projections-super-bowl-chances-playoff-draft

Twelve teams have at least a 3% chance to win the Super Bowl, per ESPN's FPI.
    Best chance to win the Super Bowl
    1 49ers 16%
    2 Chiefs 12%
    3 Lions 10%
    4 Cowboys 9%
    5 Ravens 8%
    6 Eagles 8%
    7 Bills 6%
    8 Bengals 5%
    9 Packers 5%
    10 Texans 4%
    11 Dolphins 3%
    12 Falcons 3%

Most Likely Conference Title Game Matchups
    AFC
    Chiefs vs. Ravens 9%
    Chiefs vs. Bengals 6%
    Chiefs vs. Bills 6%
    Chiefs vs. Texans 5%
    Ravens vs. Bills 5%
    Chiefs vs. Dolphins 4%
    Ravens vs. Texans 4%
    Bengals vs. Bills 3%
    Ravens vs. Dolphins 3%
    Ravens vs. Bengals 3%

TexasRedd likes this.
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hed be more like a prorated 1mil, maybe 2.

BDN is definitely keeping an eye on the cb waivers.