1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.6%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.9%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.4%
  5. Zach Edey

2.8%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.0%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.6%
  9. Nikola Topić

8.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.0%
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it’s hard to say. It depends on so many things. It also depends on many things in which how many of these players stay together. The range of outcomes is huge.

it would be cool if none of the guys took a max as their next contract. If the rockets sign Green and Sengun and for both somewhere under the max your 50-60% of the max for Jabari would maybe be attainable.

Perhaps these guys are so good that you can’t pay them all you trade some of them for future picks. Repeating the cycle In perpetuity and the rockets go on a 20+ year run! Bahahah

ramotadab and OremLK like this.
  2. TheBeastSystem

hillarious irony

sheed shot the 3

bonzi posted up for a living

and they now advocating the opposite

sheed is right
    the next turn in the game is two big men that can alternate inside out and dominate with the 3 and the interior and 1

AroundTheWorld and ramotadab like this.
  3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

When I hear this kind of reporting, I always default to its a PSYOP campaign. Mis-/disinformation to not show your hand on who you really want.

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m all for upgrading Jalen with an extended Mitchell if it only costs us Jalen #3 and a future1st.

Y2JT and ramotadab like this.
  6. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I mean, Batum was basically the #3/#4 starter on the Lillard/Aldridge Blazers that KO'd the Harden/Howard Rockets in 2014. and earned a near max deal in free agency (5-year, $120M in 2016 with Charlotte). And after he busted on that and his career looked over, he reinvented himself and has pretty much been l'oncle Nic for the Clippers and Sixers for the last 4 years as a high-level role player. I don't think that's exactly an insult to Jabari if he has the longevity, career earnings, and staying power of Batum.

Horry in his 3rd year had enough trade value to bring back a 25-year old, first time all-star Sean Elliott in the failed deal with Detroit. Obviously the health issues and his poor season had something to do with it, but I'd gladly trade Jabari, Jock Landale, and two future second rounders for literally anyone who made the 2023 or 2024 All-Star Game in a heartbeat. Horry was also 50% of the trade package for Barkley 2 years later, and I think most fans think that the Rockets made a mistake in giving up he and Cassell. He was definitely highly valued around the league throughout his career.

Realistically, Jabari is going to have to make a massive developmental jump in his offense if he wants to be a #3 or #2 option, especially on this current team. I would love to see it happen, but I'm thinking it's going to be a lot more likely the guy will forever be this very valuable player on the court whom we're always asking "why aren't you doing more, you are more talented and athletic than everyone else?!"

Batum signed the equivalent of a 4-year, $136.6M RFA offer sheet in free agency (75% of the rookie max assuming a $170M cap in 2026-2027) when his rookie deal finished, and that got matched by Portland.

I think I'd probably take that for Jabari, but that's a very long ways away.

cmlmel77, RollingWave and OremLK like this.
  7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

No

Little Bit likes this.
  8. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I think Nikola Topic is the pick
    Tankathon also has him #1 6'6 true PG, I don't see any other players be it reed/clingan that moves the needle even becomes a solid NBA starter (I like risacher but think he goes in the top 2)

That's my opinion of the day

#1968 palmsnbananas, May 21, 2024
    Last edited: May 21, 2024
    Rudyc281 and thegary like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That’s all great. Jabari in my opinion will surpass both statistically quite easily.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. HealthyHamstring

So has anyone noticed that both Kelly Iko (athletic article) and Clutch (podcast) both said they don’t think the Rockets will draft a small guard or center and instead will draft a jumbo hooper, or has that connection not been made yet?

It’s starting to sound like we all need to be mentally preparing to take Zaccharie Risacher, Matas Buzelis, Stephon Castle or Ron Holland if we stay at 3.

If those are our 4 options, I want Castle and Risacher next (he’s so boom or bust)

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't believe we need another guy who needs the ball a lot. I'm with Udoka, I believe Green has figured it out with just some more polish needed on how to beat double teams quicker. I think in 6-12 months Green will be a less selfish version of BI.

Sengun/Amen/Green and an unselfish vet PG are already not going to get enough usage. Whitmore and Jabari need touches too. Are we going to shelf Green the season before he becomes RFA for a guy (BI) who's living proof you shouldn't give up on such players too early?

I do agree a team can't be successful in the playoffs without a perimeter player who demands double teams. I think we have two of them plus a playmaking C and a PG. That's almost an excess of players who need the ball. We are at a key point of Green and Sengun and Amen development. If they're disappointing us next season, then I can see a case for it. Doing it now though will infuriate me as to why we deprioritized their development for two years only to ditch them right when they're all on the upswing. They all finished their seasons strong, all signs point to an upward trending imo.

OremLK and cmlmel77 like this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think there's a chance you're right about Green, but I don't think it makes sense to have a high confidence level in that outcome after the season he's just had. At best, and I think this is on the generous side, personally, it's a 50/50 proposition. So much depends on his shooting. He is not going to demand that level of defensive attention if he can't hit three pointers, and his efficiency numbers won't be where they need to be either.

If he's half of our foundation, it's a pretty shaky foundation to be standing on.

That said, I'm onboard with seeing what we've got and more or less running it back with the same core 6 youngsters if that's what the front office wants to do. Don't need to be in a rush to make a big trade.

joshuaao, Strawberry Gum and Mathloom like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's 2 separate conversations, what the Rockets should do.... and what they are likely to do.

When talking about what they should do the talk is merely about the best player for the team

When talking about what they'll actually do, you have to take into account the fact that Stone is someone who cares more about measurables than the actual ability to play basketball.

So sure, Stone is more likely to draft another bust like Green than a quality basketball player.... but that doesn't mean the conversation should entirely be about terrible players Stone will like.

#1974 Bobbythegreat, May 22, 2024
    Last edited: May 22, 2024
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The same two gentlemen also thought Bruno Fernando would play the season starting ahead of Sengun.

duluth111222 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  16. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

People are out of their mind to say no to this

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’ve gone back to Clingan again…with the rumors of rockets looking to add shooting with Beasley or another vet.

I think we are going for size and toughness something that multiple times in the year Ime called this team soft and out physical and simply just flat out lacked.

Adams will help with this but he is what he is at this point of his career.

Tari will help as well but he’s not a 5

Jabari is the real deal just to light

Jock please don’t get me started

Sengun does good but let’s be real nobody is intimidated by him in the paint he isn’t anchoring down the paint.

Udoka also likes to run drop coverages and that’s something that Clingan excels at.

Draft Clingan bring him along slowly let him continue to get healthy and learn the speed of the NBA and he could be our future 5 with Sengun at the 4

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Maybe. But I'm not really a believer in a 28 year old Mitchell long term. He's a smaller guard going into his 8th season. He only played 55 games this season and couldn't finish the playoffs. He has the potential to be one of the worst contracts in the league when he hits 30.

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

The defensive play at 1:30 is truly amazing. Fights through TWO MASSIVE picks, to chase the ball-handler, blocks him and recovers the ball. I don’t get why this kid is not getting more love here. This is the type of winning plays that we never see from the likes of Jalen Green…