1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reed needs to borrow Lowry's big butt. :D

[​IMG]

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

We actually have great shooters they just aren't as good as our non shooters so they stay glued to the bench. Just being able to hit open shots are not enough ask Reggie Bullock and Aaron Holiday.

Everybody so laser focused on having a good shooter they forget our guys Amen, Jalen and Sengun get PT despite being non-shooters. These btw along with Jeff Green and Tate are the only bad/non shooters in the rotation, everybody else can shoot FVV, Tari, Jabari, Cam, Holiday, Brooks.

Unless you are talking about tertiary backups or core irreplaceable pieces we don't have a lot of non shooters. So just getting shooters won't solve our problem really we can only solve it by getting a star shooter or getting our guys to improve their own shot. Replacing Tate or Jeff Green in the lineup won't do much.

#222 roslolian, May 21, 2024
    Last edited: May 21, 2024
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If by similar you mean white then yes I agree, but that's about all they have in common.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know it's fun to be homers but....

CP3 was one of the best defensive guards of all time.

Tari is not one of the best defensive forwards of all time.

clutchdabear, Nook and Dobbizzle like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sengun played in Euroleague which is known as much tougher than NBA and he was also an 18 yr old MVP. Reed Sheppard scored 12.5 ppg in a loaded Kentucky team that got upset in the first game of MM.

The bolded part is correct, we do know nothing about how these players will perform in the NBA that's why the draft happens right? If everybody knows how these guys will turn there wouldn't even be a need for the draft just the lottery will do.

We can only guess and project based on available information. If you think NCAA is such a good basis why are you not campaigning for Zach Edey? Edey won the MVP trophy and he scored 2x more than Sheppard. If NCAA such a good indicator we should take Edey at 3. It's funny college stats only work for Reed Sheppard and no one else LMAO.

#225 roslolian, May 21, 2024
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

So what? You aren't comparing them to their peers you are comparing them to each other. As an athletic 6'6 with a 7'2 wingspan Tari is better than even the best 6'1 guards in the history of the NBA.

You think Cp3 is a better defender than Tari Eason? If Michael Jordan trying to score the game winning bucket who would guard him Cp3 or Tari?

7. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Yeah, Sheppard is just like Seth Curry -- just Seth Curry with 13 pts higher 3P%, 9 pts higher 2P%, 10 pts higher TS%, 2.5x the stocks, 2x the assist rate, 2x the reb rate, double the Ast/To ratio, and a national freshman of the year award.

And those are as a 19 year old comparing to Seth Curry’s 5 year college career averages.

I would take that version of Seth Curry pretty high!

#227 carl_herrera, May 21, 2024
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There are multiple shorter defender better than “longer” defenders.
    Smart, Beverly, Conley, Caruso and others.

Numbers are numbers, you keep bringing up the pros but none of these guys are pros and Sheppard did it in a better conference.

No one is a Reed truther, whatever that means.
    Sheppard is flat out better than Castle, better athlete, defender, shooter. You can get mad about it all you want but that is facts.

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Caruso and Smart aren't 6'1.75. Beverly and co. only guard guys their position because they are too small. If we use 6'5 Alex Caruso as an example which 6'1 guard you think is a better defender than him?

I'm not mad about it, I'm just surprised how delusional you are about Reed Sheppard. I guess you'd take him no 1 in this draft? Right or wrong it'll be fun to look back on this thread a year from now.

#229 roslolian, May 21, 2024
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Reed could be much better than Seth doesn't mean he is worth top 3 pick considering Seth went undrafted.

I'd rather have Seth undrafted and pick somebody else at 3 rather than get Reed Sheppard with the top 3 pick.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No one is delusional whatsoever. Just speaking facts.
    Smart measured in at 6’2 at the combine btw.

Im not sold on anyone in this draft, and Sheppard wouldn’t be my first overall pick. But I’m not going to act like he isn’t one of the better prospects in this draft. Very athletic, elite defender and elite shooters aren’t very common.

But you keep on flip flopping, you went from Knecht being a poor athlete that can’t defend to sucking him off every chance you get.
    Clown

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

It is pretty clear you aren't an objective poster that's why you think updating takes based on available information makes you a flip flopper. Since you think I'm a clown I'll be sure to clown your ass once Reed Sheppard fails to become the "athletic defensive stopper" you are claiming him to be.

Truly the delulu president of the Reed Truthers fanclub.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Me not objective? I told you you were wrong about Knecht predraft. I also don’t count out players because I have some close minded view of what a basketball player looks like.
    Take your L and move on.
    You have no idea what you’re talking about at all when it comes to sports it seems

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

You realize the combine happened before you made your takes right? If anything I'm the one with the open mind and you're the one sticking to your preconceived notions.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It absolutely did not.
    We have receipts. Also, I didn’t even say I wanted Sheppard. I said at 3 he’s the best fit.
    Your ignorance is astounding

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

We are not taking Reed.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I trust our scouts and analytics staff to get the pick right. Getting the pick right is all I care about. Getting the pick right is more important than fit.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So first of all, for me off ball is on both sides of the court. Sheppard's defense is by far his second most important skill. Defense is half of all basketball possessions/minutes.

On Jabari we agree it seems. I don't think there's a 6'2 player in the NBA who will have a larger volume of defensive impact per game as Jabari. A PF is involved in many many many more defensive plays than a PG. That's not on Reed it's just how the NBA is designed. It's why FVV is an amazing defender but at 6 feet tall at PG he's limited in how much he can affect the score compared to guys with a 7'1+ wingspan.

Not sure why we're using Whitmore college numbers. He did the unlikely in shooting better in the NBA than college and we should praise him for that. In the NBA for a rookie he's been excellent at catch and shoot, which shows a bright future there. With a 1 year head start I can see him being as good a shooter as Sheppard. Admittedly, I'm bullish on Whitmore's shooting chops. I think he's better at attacking closeouts and gaps in the defense than Reed will be. I think their handles are similar with Reed having a slight advantage. However Sheppard will be the better defender while as you said Whitmore has the potential to be a star scorer with a few years of development.

On Tari, I understand that he's not a sharpshooter but it's rational to expect an NBA player to improve and a college player to take a dip. I see Tari as a hard worker so I'm not sure Reed is going to beat Tari by much if they both improve at an average rate from the start of Reed's career onwards. I do see Tari giving us 38-40% shooting on his easy 3's though certainly on lower volume than Sheppard. On defense I will bet any amount of money Tari will be a far better NBA defender.

To me Reed's strengths are shooting and then athleticism that doesn't convert into anything. I just don't believe in Reed's other skills. I think his handle is only going to be good enough to be a combo guard and his small hands are going to cost turnovers in the half court and drives to the basket. Ball slips out of his hands too easily. I think his passing skills are shockingly overrated on this board only - it's as if his father is comparing him to guys who have a 4:1 asst ratio. He's not Steve Nash. It's clear as day, he's not that guy. He's an undersized SG we have to convert into a PG. Combo guards are supposed to be good at both, people seem to think combo guards are half-good at each position.

My very optimistic view of him in his best season (i.e. 5+ years away):

40% shooter on 8 attempts
    3-4 FTA only
    5.5 assists to 2.5 TO's
    Good but not great defense (slightly less than FVV I'd say)

That's an awesome role player. Wildly overrated on this board. If you're wondering if there's bias, point me to any other board where Reed is being discussed as though he's Steve Nash. What I'm saying is boring anywhere else. I don't understand why he's so hyped up here.

Don't care about skin color. Also I have no issue with people rooting for a hero they share an identity with. Yes these things are fun to root for and break your mental glass ceilings about what "your people" can achieve. As long as it doesn't infect the objective analysis and you put the TEAM first, I'm ok with a white kid taking pride in white players if that makes them believe in themselves more. I think maybe white people have a guilt about saying they want a white guy to make it. To me it's harmless. Eventually the player's performance will dominate the narrative.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Iko saying Rockets like Risacher and Buzelis...intradasting....

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Seems like the case for Sheppard can also be made for this guy.

This is Ringer's evaluation of him.