1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

It's a little hard to categorize the high skill/feel guys, because usually they're deficient in something, which makes me question calling them "high skill". Jimmer for example was a skilled shooter at high volume but not a good passer, defender... basically anything else.

Or else there's guys like Payton Pritchard who developed into multidimensional high skill players over 4 years in college. But there's a difference between being a high skill/feel player as a 19 year old and being that as a 22 year old.

Trey Burke, Cam Payne, and Tyler Ulis were the best comps I could find that failed. High skill underclassman guards who were really good at the college level, undersized, got a real shot in the NBA, and failed.

They were all shorter than Sheppard and the biggest commonality in their failure was that the shooting never held up at the NBA level. They weren't actually great shooters.

They were all in the 37-38% 3p% range in college and and 30-36% in the NBA.

Sheppard's stock rates were also about 2x any of these guys.

#201 carl_herrera, May 21, 2024
    Last edited: May 21, 2024
  2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Great post, thanks. Yeah, I agree it is hard to categorize "high feel" and "high skill." Certainly you can have guys that are able to shoot and score well while also dishing out assists, but that doesn't necessarily mean high skill/feel (see KPJ). I just wanted to get some good names that were at least around that ballpark, and I think you came up with some good ones, even if they aren't exact matches to Reed in one way or another.

3. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Reed has great shot selection and takes them within the flow of the offense. He won't try to force shots over Amen as he would just wait until his teammates generate wide open looks, which he can knock down at an elite clip.

I like Risarcher but Sheppard is better at knocking down wide open looks, which is our biggest need in my opinion. On top of that, his other qualities are extremely valuable as @Medicine N Music pointed out.

clutchdabear, Dobbizzle and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. TheBeastSystem

nobody has more superstar potential in this draft than reed

5. cml750

cml750 Member

I just now thinking about having Sheppard on the floor with Amen, Alpi, and Tari. They would be stealing every thing is site.

slothy420, Zen Tabak, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Too small to draft #3

Will get dominated on defense as teams force switches.

Having to defend bigger players will in turn effect his shooting.

He will go down much like Steve Alford, Bryce Drew, Jimmer Fredette (my comp for Reed Sheppard)
    --------------

J.J. Redick carer average: 7.5 pts.....1.6 rebs...1.3 asts.... .397 (3P%) which would be more
    than Sheppard career numbers imo.....which is a bust at #3 pick of a draft

Another similar player 6'2" with good leaping ability: Mac McClung
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mccluma01.html

#206 ApacheWarrior, May 21, 2024
    roslolian and JusBleezy like this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

This is pretty much how I feel too. There's no way his shooting doesn't translate, he's somebody we can instantly bring off the bench to hit the wide open looks we'd often brick with our current "shooters."

BamBam and cml750 like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

JJ reddick averaged what and what?

Zen Tabak and ApacheWarrior like this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Prime JJ Reddick on this team would improve this team by quite a bit. Perfect movement shooter off of guys like Sengun.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

13/2/2 (12.8 to be exact) on 45/42/89 (44.7/41.5/89.2 to be exact)
    15 year career, no awards or all-star teams, approximately $116M in career earnings
    Was the 11th overall pick

I see Seth (not Steph) Curry.
    Small, little combo guard who comes in off the bench
    Career 10.4/2/2 on 47/43/86 shooting
    Undrafted, has bounced around
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/seth-curry-1.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryse01.html

RS:
    7.75 hand length
    9.00 hand width
    6’1.75 w/o shoes
    181.6 lbs
    7’9.5 SR
    6’3.25 WS

SC:
    8.00 hand length
    8.25 hand width
    6’1 w/o shoes; 6’3 w/ shoes
    179.2 lbs
    8’1.5 SR
    6’4 WS

Worth the #3 pick?

I do feel like y’all are setting yourselves up for disappointment. :D

BBS has become so laser focused on Reed, you’re gonna be disappointed if it’s anyone else.

Kinda similar to Paolo a few years ago (although I don’t think Reed is going top 2…then again, who knows.)

BamBam, Dobbizzle, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

No way Reed goes in top two, no way at all. I'd be shocked if we take him.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think there's little question that he's the right pick at #3....and then I remember Rafael Stone is our GM and think there's no chance he's going to pick Sheppard. He's just REALLY bad at picking at the top of drafts.

cml750 likes this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I dont think Seth is a terrible comparison but Seth was a 23 yr old undrafted rookie in a "weak draft" where Anthony Bennet was #1 overall.

I expect Reed to be much better than Seth.

I guess we'll see.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I could see that as an absolute floor, but honestly his floor his likely significantly higher than that.

cml750 likes this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I don't know JR, but I don't see much similarities in their games, except they both shoot the 3 well.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Those numbers are in college not the NBA. Just cuz you had better stats in college doesn't mean you are automatically the better defender and will be the better defender in the NBA. That's not how defense is judged especially vs different leagues.

6'6 with 6'9 wingspan gonna be a worse defender than 6'2 with 6'3 wingspan? Lol. Only Reed truthers say Reed is a better defender than Castle. This is like arguing Cp3 is a better defender than Tari Eason.

#216 roslolian, May 21, 2024
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Good catch buddy.
    I went off this article but I did not look at article date (2011).

At 2011; Redick was in his 5th season.....I'm sure Clutchfans will have patience if Sheppard does
    the same.

Sure

#217 ApacheWarrior, May 21, 2024
    peleincubus likes this.
  18. prs325

prs325 Member

If we stay at 3, I think the decision is among
    Reed, Castle, or Risacher (if not yet selected)
    Defense is the common denominator in all of them

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

By your logic, you know nothing about any of the players we are talking about because none of them have played a single minute in the NBA. You don't know any of their skills will translate to the NBA. Why are you pushing so hard about some of those?

There are good defensive players who are short and unathletic (FVV) and bad defensive players who are long and athletic (Christian Wood). Just by looking at their physical attributes does not tell you how good they are on defense.

Sengun was (and still is) alleged to be a poor defensive player because he is not tall and long for a center, and he is a white dude that looks slow footed. But the defense he anchored was a top 10 defense in the league. This is (for a lack of a better term) skin-deep analysis. :D

BamBam, noppeper, Zen Tabak and 3 others like this.
  20. PeppermintCandy

I do see similarities between Shepperd and FVV, and I love what Shepperd shows offensively on the highlight videos.

But FVV and guys like Lowry have the strength and low center of gravity that allows them to defend at a high level despite their lack of height. Basically, they're hard to move and push around.

I'm not sure if Shepperd can play the same level of defense.

Zen Tabak likes this.