1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has the Most Upside or Star Potential in this Draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OkayAyeReloaded, May 21, 2024.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Tidjane Salaun has high potential.

Will only be 18 when drafted, 6'9" with a handle. Good looking shooting stroke, plus athlete. Willing defender.

Im still all in on Reed tho

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If Castle can hit 72% of his 3s at high volume playing PG, he would get my vote.

I mean anyone who could hit 50% or 45% or 40% for 3s would be in the running.

3. OkayAyeReloaded

I can see that based on the tools and skill sets I agree. I don't see advanced stat info on them due to being international players so it's tough to compare that to Reed or Clingan who are great there, but if someone has those please share.

But these are the Vegas odds for picks right now.

[​IMG] |
    https://fansided.com/betsided/posts...medium=referral&utm_campaign=google-newsstand

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Holland's motor is what separates him from others. Also that motor is usually going on both sides of the ball. The only thing keeping him from being #1 is probably his jumper. In a sense, I like when players play in the G-League vs college in terms of viewing what they're capable of doing. In the G-League, they're shooting from the NBA 3 pt. line, not the FIBA/college line, so no need to see how the distance will affect them. The percentages between G-League and NBA can still differ because of how defense is played on 3's, but still, it's not like there's a 3-4 feet different in the shot itself. The other thing is that in the G-League, they're playing against guys who are, for the most part, full-grown men. Maybe they're not all NBA level, but they're bigger dudes than you're going to find in college and high school where most of these lottery players just were better athletes or oversized in comparison.

What you saw of Holland in the G-League is pretty much what you'll probably see from him on an NBA team where he gets minutes, I think. His G-League numbers in terms of points and scoring were similar to what he did on that powerhouse Duncanville team in high school. I wouldn't expect it on an NBA team, yet, but...

don grahamleone and Sen89 like this.
  5. TheBeastSystem

6. TheBeastSystem

mkg had a motor

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This is a similar point to what I made in the Reed Shephard thread. I think he could be a nice player but I dont think he is a guy you should take at the 3rd pick. The odds are slim he will be the guy people think he could be and ultimately your view on his upside directly impacts whether you think he should be a top 4 pick or just a nice player somewhere in the top 10.

I think Castle has enough upside that in a worst case scenario, if he is a bust, some team will still be willing to bet on that upside so he has value even iF he is a bust while if Reed is a bust, no one is giving a short guy a second chance. The worst case scenario for Houston is they pick a guy at the #3 pick who is a bust AND they are stuck on a bad contract because they are being paid like they would be a high upside player in a normal draft. I think Reed would be a bottom of the lotto into the 20s type of pick in a better draft.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....and bad shoulders which made him miss a lot of playing time and probably didn't help his already broken shot...and a bad heart too(which ultimately forced him to retire earlier). Just really bad injury luck that prevented him from working on the skills he lacked.

9. MystikArkitect

Probably Reed Sheppard. No one else has a skill even comparable to his 3 point shooting outside of maybe Clingan's defense.

Those are probably the two best players in this draft.

don grahamleone and VickMackey like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Reed Shepherd.

DD

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude played for an expansion franchise almost his entire career and the most important thing his shooting form never improved.

I never heard that MKG was projected to be a superstar or star when he was drafted, he was however projected to be a starter.