1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donovan Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 15, 2024.

1. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Who listens to that fat blob?

clos4life and 13 in 33 like this.
  2. raining threes

Geen is missing something. He can make plays sometimes but he's slow a lot of the time when it comes to recognizing the defense and where to go with the ball

He did improve defensively last year. But his shooting is also very inconsistent. Mitchell is much more consistent and a shot maker late in games. Something that I'm not sure Green can do consistently after seeing him for 3 years.

ArtV likes this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

I’d be okay with a deal for him, but it does nothing for our future and he’s not that star that instantly makes us a deep playoff run type team, so rather pass.

raining threes likes this.
  4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like the trade, but I don’t know if that’s true. The Knicks have 6 tradable firsts that they could offer (by my count). If they want him, they can probably get him, or drive up the price. If they would make your offer and stick to it, I could live with the results either way.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Garland was an all star before they got Mitchell. He averaged 22 ppg 8 apg at good efficiency. He's a high usage PG, and Mitchell is higher usage that takes away Garland's game, kind of like the Fox-Haliburton situation. If we get Mitchell, I hope he fits better with a star big man than a star backcourt guy

6. OkayAyeReloaded

I really don't know about this one. Donovan averaged 60+ games the past five seasons, but he did have an outstanding playoff showing and is a consistent all-star. Jalen has to reach those heights but his ceiling has always been high, and it also depends if Mitchell signs an extension.

I wanted to see one more year if he grows but it really depends on what the staff feels about Jalen reaching his potential long term. Also don't know if this is just a rumor and doesn't mean anything.

7. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

If we trade Jalen Green for Donovan Mitchell we will regret it.

fckbandwagons, cbass and Rocket River like this.
  8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

No Mitchell, please

Hui likes this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just my take, but it seems Garland's lost a step, and that hasn't been reconciled with his conscience. Guy's gotta change his game....Right now, he's a Jack, building a brickhouse. Plus, Mitchell takes away from his game.

Easy likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

Depends on the price and remaining open.

11. Jags

Jags Member

To be fair, Garland replicated the exact same 22/8 statline the following season next to Mitchell, with a slightly higher TS% too. I don’t think Garland’s dropoff this year is because of Mitchell.

Rockets FTW and Easy like this.
  12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Mitchell for Green and 2 future 1sts and filler ok

Not on the table (not in order because it doesn't matter - not for Mitchell):
    Pick #3
    Tari (if he's healthy)
    Amen
    Sengun
    Cam

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. King713

King713 Member

The Rockets aren’t gonna get Donovan Mitchell for just Jalen and #3. If they did, he didn’t sign an extension. If he is signing one immediately after the trade, another young guy or two is going out the door as well. Remember the Cavs don’t have to trade him here or at all.

Also food for thought, Donovan Mitchell has never played a full season. The last year he played even 70 games was his 2nd year. He’s going into year 8.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With Mitchell about to become a free agent, making 50 /yr, how much leverage do the Cavs really have? That would seem to be in the ballpark.

#215 Plowman, May 21, 2024
    Last edited: May 21, 2024
    RudyTBag likes this.
  15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Please no he is just another gunner that plays zero defense.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly the gap won't be that wide and I say that as a Green fan who expects Green's shooting and instinctive passing to be improved next season. Mitchell will do the job very well and we can cover his weaker defense. It would not surprise anyone if Mitchell was a better scorer than Jalen next season given the age difference and track record.

What would be preposterous is how many assets we'd trade to get Mitchell. If Green has figured it out as Udoka believes, we will have traded a lot for a slight upgrade. I'm not sure it's the safe move everyone thinks it's going to be.

CRJ713 likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys talking about giving up Jalen Green...

AND the 3.

AND FUTURE FIRSTS...

Are way out of pocket. GTFO with that... Maybe I watched James Harden smoke Mitchell too constantly and too easily to get pumped. Bleh!

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, I see Mitchell probably good on the Parker- Duncan and Ginobili team where he can start for Ginobili.

Easy likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I gotta say a lot of NBA teams have been willing to pay a lot for Bird Rights. The leverage the Cavs have is that he's probably the best player available for the next couple of seasons that is under 30 (probably don't need the under 30 qualifier).

I look at the Magic. I think Paolo is given way too much credit for Orlando's success, but Orlando has a pretty good team while taking a zero at PG. I think Mitchell makes them the 2nd best team in the East. The Magic have salary cap space so they don't have to send crap back in salaries to Cleveland which would allow Cleveland to bring in a third team. If I was the Magic, I'd pursue Mitchell harder than the Rockets.