1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clingan v. Williams/Kessler/Lively

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, May 21, 2024.

1. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I feel like we would use Clingan for sure if we draft him. We need a defensive presence and we haven’t had that in a while.

If this draft supposedly doesn’t have any stars why focus on what other players turn out to be. Let’s just grab what we need and move on.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Some points that others are touching on, and a couple others:

1. Defense is being prioritized in a big way since the all-star break, and during these playoffs. You can clearly see that Adam Silver is having an active hand at reining back in the style of play that they were forced to allow when they made the conscious decision in the 2014 offseason to make Curry the new face of the NBA. Along with that, they're allowing more contact, rewarding more size inside, and forcing teams to adjust to the gigantic line-ups that some teams are starting to role out there. DEN, ORL, and MIN just to name a few.

2. Clingan is a turbo-charged version of bigs that have been picked in the late lottery the past five years. I'd say he's more imposing defensively than Williams, Duren, or Lively, and he has more offensive upside than Kessler. Madison Moore on the Locked On podcast routinely says that Marc Gasol is his high end outcome, and I would agree given the passing chops we see from him which frankly don't exist with any other draftable big man since Sengun.

3. On the Rockets, you shouldn't worry about his fit with Sengun because they will rarely be on the court together. Season 1 he rotates back and forth with Adams as the primary backup C, and after his rookie year he takes that role over entirely once Adams' contract expires. As the "change of pace" 'back, sort of the Thunder to Sengun's Lightning, he will be the rim rolling big man to unlock the games of our young guards, primarily Jalen Green and Amen. And FVV will also perform better with him than he did with Londale this past year. Look for the guards to benefit the most on offense in Clingan's rookie year.

4. If people out there are preferring to draft a backup PG than a backup C, just know that there is no such guy in this year's draft. We're trying to win this upcoming year. Rookie pure point types never provide positive value in their first years. Typically, young pure point guards don't even put up positive value during their whole rookie contract. For someone to cultivate a Scoot Henderson into say a FVV or Darius Garland, that requires real organizational commitment to your guard sucking ass and being a defensive sieve for a number of years. On these Rockets, ain't nobody got time for that. If we really need backup help for FVV, we'd have to look for that from veterans in FA or via trade.

5. Remember, this draft class is weak. Would Stephon Castle be a better prospect than Cam Whitmore last year? I'm not sure. A lot of kids are getting hyped up because there just isn't much else to compare them to. In that context, I absolutely would take a backup C at #3 overall. He's one of the few guys that has the ability to provide positive value to this playoffs-aspiring roster in 2024-2025, and he still has the potential to develop into even more than that.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alperen is going to be locked in for 36 minutes a night as the starting C for the next decade.

You are drafting a guy at 3 that is going to be competing with Jock Landale for 3rd string C minutes.

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This is an EYE OPENER as to why we need Clingan.

5. raining threes

Seems pretty logical to me.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I can kind of get that particular point since we are just coming off of the Wolves getting into WCFs with twin towers approach. What I don't get is why people think Clingan is the next Rudy Gobert (multiple time DPOY level defender) and Sengun can somehow turn into KAT (arguably the best shooting center in NBA history). I think Reed Sheppard has higher odds to become the next Steph Curry than those two things above both happening.

clutchdabear, Easy and astrosrule like this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

That's not the only option. Come on. If they work out together, it'll probably be because Clingan develops a 3 point shot, allowing Sengun to continue as the hub with Clingan as a spacer on offense, and Clingan operating as a roamer on defense.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

This! I really don't understand why so many people want to draft someone to fill a third string role (at best) at a position of strength. Especially when there is likely to be someone like Reed Sheppard sitting there who is the best prospect in years at our weakest skillset which is shooting.

clutchdabear and RudyTBag like this.
  9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

So let’s say the Spurs draft Clingan at 4. You think Sengun can deal with Wemby and Clingan in a playoff series?

fckbandwagons likes this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

But what makes you think he will develop a 3 pt shot? He shoots no 3s and shoots in the 50s from the line. He looks more like a steven adams on offense then a towns. You say it's not the only option, but in reality it IS the only option. Even the wolves, like i said, with a GOAT level shooter and barely mustered an average offense starting 2 centers.

11. PeppermintCandy

It's just the combine, but Clingan apparently impressed with his 3-point shot.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/uconn...onovan-clingan-nba-draft-combine-19455042.php

I also read somewhere that UConn's strategy was having Clingan play strictly close to the rim and not take 3s.

Still, I don't really see Sengun and Clingan playing long stretches together. Maybe in only certain matchups.

12. PeppermintCandy

If the Rockets draft Clingan and Adams proves able to contribute, I think Landale will be moved at some point.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Shooting in practice like that is not really relevant to game shooting. The dude couldn't even get to 60% on free throws....

14. PeppermintCandy

That's fair, though I think the shooting in the combine is a bit more specific than shots put up during practice. But it's definitely not the same as showing it in games.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Considering Adams will be available...Landale should head out in our next deal.

Green, Landale, and #3....

16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

You need to amend your post to add the following relevant player:
    Zach Edey - averaged 25 pts and 13 rebounds thepast two years and is 7’4” and outdid Clingan in nearly every drill at the combine including 3 pointers. Face to face - Edey 37 points 13 rebounds 4 blocks…Clingan 11 points 8 rebounds.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If rudy gobert was available would we want him on the rockets? To me the answer is no, our offense would completely die. Would we want towns? Also no, our defense would die

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

So you wouldn't want two players who are starting on their team in the Western Conf Finals? Hmmm

19. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Great info, MW and Kessler are the exact comps I was thinking about and this write up makes me think he's somewhere in between. Which honestly is not that appealing with having the 3 pick.. guess its a weaker draft and it is what it is

cmoak1982 and No Worries like this.
  20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

correct, neither would work with sengun