1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If true seems like the Rockets are trying to replace Jalen or at the least find guys to eat into his minutes.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't watch a lot of Beasley, but I vaguely recall Vecenie doing a breakdown of the Bucks defense in the playoffs, and he was pretty awful on defense. Pretty much unplayable. And to be clear, I'm pretty sure it was unplayable due to poor BBIQ/defensive awareness type stuff, not that his arms were too short or whatever.

The Bucks were a mess regardless, but not sure I really like the idea of Beasley. Unless it is in a super limited role (like a Bullock).

Shark44 likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

These are all your opinions we don't know if this true or not. Castle is taller with bigger wingspan and a lot more agile than Sheppard he is gonna be the better defender in my eyes in the NBA level. Both of them arent faciliators, Sheppard is the better connective guy and shooter but those are SKILLs and skills can be taught and worked at while he is developing.

Btw Sheppard isn't 6'3 he is 6'1.75. If he is 6'3 then everyone is taller. Green is 6'6, Tari is 6'9, Jabari and Sengun are 7'0 etc.

If Sheppard is 6'3 Castle is 6'8 and Risacher is 6'11. So revise your statement and say because he is 6'3 and not 6'8 he is useless.The reason you keep thinking the height doesn't matter is you keep adding imaginary inches to Sheppard's height compared to others.

#143 roslolian, May 21, 2024
    Last edited: May 21, 2024
    Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

The revisionist history is pretty wild. Amen and Sheppard are miles apart as prospects. Amen can't shoot remember so why would the people who loved Amen who is a 6'7 athletic freak suddenly want the shorty with trex arms? Cam Whitmore? Dude wasn't a good three point shooter in college and wasn't efficient analytics wise posters here were hating on him for being a black hole and having low IQ how does that make him similar to Reed Sheppard? Makes zero sense. If anything the people who wanted Scoot Henderson and praying for him to fall to us are the ones who want Sheppard now. Didn't learn the shorty lesson last year same thing this year.

Everyone is gaslighting themselves to getting Sheppard but I'd be surprised if the Houston Rockets pass on legitimate talent with size like Risacher and Castle for Sheppard considering their draft tendencies.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If he can't play defense, Udoka probably won't want him. You are right, if we wanted a shooter who can't do much else, we already had Bullock.

AroundTheWorld and RC Cola like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Beasley isn't a long-term solution and possibly not a short term one either. He is a pretty good volume three point shooter, but over the years that has become all he does.

Trading for Mitchell would be a disaster for the Rockets long term.... signing Beasley would likely help in the regular season but not much in the post season.

7. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

We trade down and try to grab him later.. you just KNOW San Antonio will take him at 4 and he will bust our ass 4x a year for the next 10+ years. No thanks, just take him at 3 to guarantee we get him.

8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Isn't it interesting that these same people have done nothing but complain that Green is "6'4 not 6'6" (he looks taller than most other 6'4 guys in the league though, bizarrely) and now they're perfectly fine with 6'1.75 and not 6'6. Insanity.

fchowd0311 and roslolian like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah if you read the board the number one complaint is the team is too short but here they are campaigning for the 6'1.75. If Sheppard flops hard you can bet these guys gonna be the first one to flame the front office and pretend they weren't pro Sheppard themselves.

I don't even get it cuz someone like Risacher shoots at a high percentage as well but they act like Sheppard is the only shooter in the entire class.

I've never seen a 6'1 guy be a dominant defender but these Sheppard truthers believe he's gonna be a lock down defender in the NBA based on his ability to guard small unathletic guys in the NCAA. The best I can see from 6'1 guys in the NBA is be able to guard point guards like FVV and CP3, these guys can only guard 1 positione effectively you won't ask FVV to guard Jalen WIlliams, for example. Nobody calls them lock down defenders but these posters are claiming Sheppard gonna be a better defender than Castle lol.

10. sydmill

sydmill Member

For all the reasons given by other I think Sheppard is the way to go. Guy addresses a serious weakness AND would be tremendous fit with Amen and Sengun. Not sure how he works with Green but, then again, nothing is certain with Green anyway. I do think that there is a way to extract more value out of the third pick by moving back and still getting Sheppard though. Im looking at you Portland. I think they make a ton of sense in a trade back and still getting Sheppard and another asset to add to the team. See below:

Deal: #3 to Portland for Rayan Rupert and picks #7 & #34
    Why Portland does it: to get Sarr, Risacher, or Clingan. The first two are almost certainly gone by pick 7 and the third could be as well. One of the three will be there at 3 and they each fit their foundation (Scoot and Sharpe) better than the other likely options at 7.

Why Houston does it: Portland, Charlotte and Detroit arent likely picking Sheppard at 3, 5 and 6 and while SA might draft him at 4 I think theyre looking more at Risacher, Topic or Dillingham there. Rupert was a prospect the Rockets were rumored to have liked last season and he proved, at 19, that he could play last season. He could be a nice defensive piece off the bench at the 2 for 10 or 15 minutes most nights. AND they still get Sheppard. AND moving up to #34 should get them Adem Bona. At #44 they select Payton Sandfort (future sharp shooting wing who spends the season at RGV).

pippendagimp, hajkov and DaDakota like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wait, who are the people who complain about Green's measurement? The only complaint about Green on this board is his shooting. Oh, that's right, you don't want a guy who can shoot much better than Jalen Green.

BamBam, clutchdabear and DaDakota like this.
  12. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

If it’s not a smoke screen that Spurs love Castle, and knowing that Detroit would probably be gravitated towards Risacher, if Risacher drops to 3, and the Rockets love Reed as much as Clutchfans, I’d seriously explore trading down to 5, and squeeze out a future protected 1st, preferably from Detroit. And then draft Reed.

13. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

If Risacher falls to 3 and Rockets don't select him then SA will and the outcome would be worse... and judging how badly Sengun whooped Wemby's ass this season, I don't think the addition of Reed would be enough for the Spurs to bust the Rockets ass the next 10 years. It'd be hard getting those shots up over Amen.

roslolian likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'd be a lot more ok getting Reed Sheppard no 7 than no 3, especially with additional assets in tow.

I just don't want the Rockets to look back and realize they drafted TJ Mconnel with the 3rd pick.

JusBleezy likes this.
  15. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

OK tried to find the video, here it is:
    (47:52)
    "Anytime you can involve Malik Beasley in an action, it's an advantage for the opposing team."
    "Beasley is a free agent....get him all the way out of Milwaukee based on what we've just seen." (during the off-season guide for MIL)

He does seem like a good shooter, so yeah if you just want to have him for the regular season, go for it. I'd probably trust a 20 year old unathletic, undersized rookie in the playoffs on defense though.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It seems like he stays ready and obviously is able to be a high level shooter - just watching tape it looked a tad slow to me but nothing he couldn't improve. I was trying to draw more of the point that if he is undersized and has a slow(er) release he might not be terribly effective to start and for a guy like him, his shooting is going be the swing skill that gets him minutes and that's particularly of importance because he NEEDS high level PG minutes to develop into that role. It will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out between Fred and Reed and Udoka(if Reed isn't a great on ball defender).

Regarding the PG aspect - I think I just bring it up because where Amen will play long term(as a wing or as a PG) has a real impact to where Reed's ceiling is in this team. I think Amen is going to be a far more valuable player than Reed in every category BUT shooting so if Amen is our PG of the future - it means Reed is a rotation guy and I'm not particularly excited about drafting for our bench with the 3rd pick.

RC Cola likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What are the Greenies so afraid of? That he might lose his spot?

Damn, competition is a bad thing for Only fans.

DD

clutchdabear and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

6’2 barefoot. That was a mistype.

And no, numbers say he’s a better defender. Not opinions. Same as they say he’s a better athlete

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What's even funnier is you have former NBA players sitting literally court side as opposing team commentators like Jim Peterson(Wolves play by play) making statements like "Green is one of the top 3 quickest players in the NBA with the ball in his hands in the same tier as Ja or Fox or Maxi" and a few moments later say "but Green is a much bigger guard than those guys at 6'6".

You have other former players like Tim Legler who I trust far more in eye balling size of NBA players as he actually has played on NBA courts say stuff like "Green is listed at 6'4" but that doesn't look right because he looks like the size of a wing".

It's such a odd denial from alleged rocket fans.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I haven't seen a single person with positive opinions of Green not like Shepard as a possible pick.

In fact it's literally who I stated I want drafted the moment the thread was created asking who we should pick a few days ago.

dmoneybangbang and Dobbizzle like this.