1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Brewers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 17, 2024.

1. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's just smart management to utilize an employee where he fits best and can excel.

Pressly 'not there' due to injury or trade?

Houstunna likes this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In fairness that is a big improvement over what we've got from 1B the last two years.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Gotta give him more than 15 games

Houstunna and Radricky like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Singleton is weird. He clearly has excellent plate discipline and elite raw power. He also doesn’t really swing and miss too much. His barrel and hard hit % this season are in line with Altuve’s career numbers. But for some reason he’s hitting too many balls either on the ground or popped up in the OF. Theres no easy explanation for why he isn’t hitting more line drives or sharp flies that would give him extra base hits and especially more home runs. So I still have hope that he can either get better luck or figure out how to get consistently better launch angles, in which case he would be an elite hitter over the next 2-3 years. I certainly think he’s giving Houston more offense at 1B as-is than Abreu or Loperfido would, and feel like he should be consistently played in the 6 or 7 hole. I’m less worried about Singleton than I am Yordan (hurt?), Bregman (slump), and Diaz (launch angle, doesn’t walk).

#224 Snake Diggit, May 18, 2024
    Last edited: May 18, 2024
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree that he is the best option at the moment.

I think he is just too passive. It feels like he never swings at the first 2-3 pitches - regardless of the situation. The pitcher could only have 1 pitch and haven't thrown 35 fastball at 88 mph in a row right down the middle and he would take 2 pitches.

He either gets himself into pitchers counts and puts pitchers pitches in play, he watches
    ball 4 called strike 3 or he walks. But will swing at a pitch in a good spot and destroy it once every few games.

Houstunna, Tomstro, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  6. RussE

RussE Member

He hasn't pitched good enough anyway. Maybe this is why...

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We beat a good team!

Our home record is better than our road record!

Keep it up!

Nook, IBTL, Houstunna and 2 others like this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Diaz walked at a good clip in spring training and started the year ok on that count. It’s since gone back to bad but he did walk last night. All his profile numbers are the same or better as last year except barrels. His entire problem is launch angle related imo.

Houstunna and Tomstro like this.
  9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I think Diaz will come around. He’s gonna get red hot. He has been around .270 so it’s not like he’s Maldy up there. The homers will come.

He seems to be pressing a bit right now.

IBTL, Wulaw Horn and Houstunna like this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Cleveland is good. We beat them too.

Astros will win 90+ games then advance to the LCS at minimum

Stephen66 and Radricky like this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I suspect you are right he will get red hot.

12. RussE

RussE Member

Not sure who the Astros GM was, but they were smart not resigning Springer. He's getting booed in Toronto....

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Who knows for sure but looking at his last 2 seasons it looks like classic age related decline. Guys have been there and had a rebound season or 2 before they have to hang it up. But yeah for now it looks like he was over paid by 2 years.

RussE likes this.
  14. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

people are hating on singleton because he's not putting up all-star numbers? he ain't an all star yo.

he's drawing walks. he's making pitchers throw strikes and put up good AB. unlike others in the lineup who swing at first pitch or retire after 3 pitches. he's getting paid chump change.

his defense ain't too shabby either. yes, he's not the long term answer at 1B but you can't have long term answer in every fuggin positions.

15. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

He's obviously a guy that the Astros can afford to trade, especially if it's part of a three team trade where they get someone that can help this season.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yep. Love what he's bringing if he's a backup. Hopefully his numbers improve as an everyday player, but he's already exceeded my expectations.

Rvo384 likes this.
  17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

he should be a backup not our everyday starter. Finding a 1B isn’t that hard who can hit for average and power. I like singleton as a bench player but not as our regular - I’d also bat him 8th. I like myers or Loperfido at 9 bc they can turn over the lineup and get protection from Altuve

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

This team is a ROLLIN. Even winning Hunter Brown starts.

Stephen66 likes this.
  19. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

You get lost with numbers, he’s not that good with RISP. That is where he needs to get better.

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Singleton needs more at bats before you can make that call. Gurriel’s last year and Abreu’s 1st year were both much worse than what singleton is doing.