1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Need To Take Zach Edey In Draft!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 22, 2024.

1. carlos

carlos Member

Edey would have been a high pick during the 80s and 90's but I do not see him as a high pick now, he just doesn't fit the current NBA.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

there's no way we're a title contender with pg13 this year or next

3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Well, unless you want 7’6” Wembleya dominating us for the next 10 years against short center Sengun we had better get some size and bulk down low. Edey is extremely necessary and will be absolutely loved in Houston for the next decade. This is a franchise changing decision that we may not get another opportunity to have. 7’4” centers who can score 40-20 and cover the likes of Wembleya one on one don’t grow on trees. We need Edey for our literal survival in a conference with Wembleya and Goebert/Towns. Aren’t you guys getting tired of almost always being the small team on the court? We have an opportunity to make us an instant contender for the next decade and need only to grab Edey. Otherwise the future will be guys like Sengun, Jeff Green and Jabrari Smith struggling against Wembleya. Yes, we need to think ahead and have a “Wembley Stopper” or we will continue the 30+ year drought of not playing in the Finals.

ArtV likes this.
  4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Sports Illustrated just came out this morning and said that Edey is now going top ten. They have him at #9 to Memphis and Clingan to us at #3. I think when the Rockets have the individual workouts that they’ll realize he’s better than Clingan.

cheke64, pippendagimp and leebigez like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Wemby is not a post player, he will be guarded by jabari.

beardsanity713 and shakes05 like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is this thread for real?

IMG_6156.gif

topfive likes this.
  8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Very real….Rockets need to take Edey at 3 to avoid the likes of San Antonio, Memphis, and OKC grabbing him. This decision is literally the difference between another 10 years of no Finals (after 30 straight years) or being a contender as soon as next year. Should the Spurs take him with one of their two top ten picks….we’re toast.

leebigez likes this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

From CBS:
    Much of the conversation in the NCAA Tournament was about Edey vs. Donovan Clingan. The narrative was that Clingan was more mobile and thus a better defender. Even if I still personally subscribe to that theory, the numbers didn't necessarily back it up here in Chicago. In fact, Edey ranked ahead of him in lane agility time, three-quarter sprint, max vertical leap, and standing vertical leap while measuring an absolutely massive 7-foot-3.75 without shoes with a 7-foot-10.75 wingspan and a 9-foot-7 standing reach.

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s kind of crazy, because when I watch Edey he reminds me of Yao in a lot of ways. And I sit there in amazement and have to wonder in what alternate reality am I living where Yao Ming could not be a useful player.

I think there should be a place for him on a team with really good shooters that won’t need an open lane for driving, but that team is definitely not the Rockets. It seems like any team with a player like that should be able to run some sort of inside-out offense. Alas, it is not the world we live in.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Old school JVG played Yao like coaches played guys like Ralph. Yao had a good touch to be pnp vs always on the blocks. Edey is a better foot athlete than Yao ,but possess some of the same footwork. Edey is also a 70% ft shooter in college which tells me he can shoot mid range and even to the 3pt line. Those screen rolls will be easy money. His size at the rim will transform poor defenders to at least adequate imo. He has also gotten better every year, that means something

Imanimal likes this.
  12. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I agree with you that Edey has a really weird Yao aura about him. I felt like I was watching a younger version of Ming in the tournament. I disagree with you about Edey being a bad fit for this team. Hear me out on this….what other team in this league can have him work with Hakeem to improve his moves. Also, he seems like a taller Steven Adams, so the veteran can teach him some of the tricks of the trade as well. Then have him go against Sengun in practice and he’ll become even a better defender with all the fakes and moves Sengun has. Lastly, just play a lineup with FVV, Cam, Jalen, and Jabrari and the threes will be flying. Lastly, the Rockets need a big big to cover Wembleya, Holmgran, and the Minnesota towers. Edey would be a great and very important pickup for this team!

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

He tested a lot better than he looked on tapes, perhaps a stamina issue? Range is interesting, could see him becoming a Brook Lopez like player. Not sure how good his post game actually is though, seems he only has 1 move and benefited hugely from being so much bigger than his college opposition.

juanm34 likes this.
  14. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Can you imagine Edey learning from Steven Adams? lol. It’s a funny image.

16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

A funnier image for me is anybody imagining Edey as anywhere near mobile enough to guard Wemby.

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Adams was that guy that never developed an Offense but his defensive prowess and strength did have him carve out a nice career.

18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

“We have Yao and TMac at home.” with Edey and Green

CarlosGM and Imanimal like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Very few centers in the league are going to guard Wemby. He is not a post player. He will be guarded by Jabari for us and other mobile guys like Mobley. Adding Edey would do nothing for us in regards to Wemby. If Wemby develops a 3 pt shot and stays healthy he will be a superstar. If he doesn’t develop a good 3 pt shot he will be a media darling all-star that won’t make his team perennial contenders.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun dominated Wemby, not the other way around.

Hemingway likes this.