1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.6%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.9%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.4%
  5. Zach Edey

2.8%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.0%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.6%
  9. Nikola Topić

8.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.0%
  1. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

This is going to be a Paulo situation where Rockets fans get excited to draft him at #3 and then he goes #2 :cool:

Rudyc281, OmegaSupreme and Genesis like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well that's kinda why I'm adding Risachere.

If both Risacher AND Reed are gone at 3, i'd happily take Sarr lol. I am happy with any of these 3 guys I guess.

joshuaao, ArtV, Rudyc281 and 4 others like this.
  3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Givony is not a fan of Sarr, I guess

joshuaao, Rudyc281 and Rockets FTW like this.
  4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Agreed. For people saying it's a weak draft, I'm just glad the Spurs didn't luck box into higher picks. #4 and #8 is great.

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Um I'm not sure we're looking at the same things, or maybe I'm just missing something. Guess I do need to grab quotes....

Hollinger:
    https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5484657/2024/05/13/nba-draft-2024-top-prospects-players-hollinger/
    KOC:
    https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft
    Random No Ceilings article I picked from earlier in the year:
    https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/reed-sheppards-numbers-are-still
    Harder to pull stuff from Vecenie and other Youtube folks, but I can if you'd like. Vecenie is who basically sold me on Sheppard anyway (he's had him as high as 3 on his own board IIRC).

To be clear, I think some folks are calling him more of a connective passer because they have concerns about his self creation and handle vs his passing/vision. This could be a semantics debate because I can 100% understand knocking Reed on those things (and thus, not wanting him to be your primary playmaker). I think Scoot had similar levels of passing/vision (though maybe a bit more of a scorer at heart), but he showed much more potential as a self creator and ball handler, so I can see him being a "safer" PG pick.

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think I'd be happy with one of these two guys. I would have questions about picking Steph Castle, Topic, Clingan--I like those guys a lot, I just don't really see the fit more than anything, they don't bring shooting (unless one or more of them takes a surprisingly big leap over this offseason, which is possible). Dillingham is a guy I'm not too fond of, I'm worried he's a Trae Young fool's gold type of dude and I don't see him as an Ime Udoka, two-way kind of player.

Who else is there kind of sort of in the conversation... Cody Williams? I like him, but I don't see him as a shooter just because he went 17 for 41 this season. That's like three hot shooting nights' worth of three point attempts for a high-volume dude in the NBA--sample size too small. I do not think he is the same type of player as his brother, Cody is more of a tall rangy utility guy, doesn't have the same level of footwork, touch, or bulldog strength.

Knecht? Athletic, skilled, maybe a bit underrated--but I worry about the defense. I don't think he's as bad on that end as Dillingham (nor as electric on offense), but I'm not sure on the fit with Jalen and Alpi.

Absolutely no interest in the G-League guys this season--Amen and Tari are better as high motor long athletic dudes, don't think we need another one.

So yeah, I think when it comes down to it, I'm pretty in on Risacher or Sheppard and I guess I hope one of those two are the pick.

If we trade back for some reason, I want Devin Carter, full stop.

Arnel, JayZ750 and RC Cola like this.
  7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah FWIW Zaccharie Risacher is growing on me too. I still need to watch way more of his tape (especially since evaluations are all over the place on him, so I basically can't rely on them). I'm unsure what to conclude on the big picture stuff, but one thing that came across was he seemed to have a really good motor. Guys with good motors always impress me for some reason.

I'm OK with some other guys, but they seem more heavy potential guys with a lot of bigger question marks. Reed or Risacher would likely be my top 2 preferred picks (I'm sorta ignoring Sarr...but I'm not even 100% sure I'd want him over these other 2).

edit: Oh probably Topic too. I need more film on him to figure out if I'm not scared by the lack of shooting (I know some think he *can* shoot, but just didn't).

Arnel, JayZ750 and j@amc like this.
  8. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I already mentally prepared myself to get Orlando'd again

Arnel and Rockets FTW like this.
  9. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Haha, I feel like this is more of a Houston thing. Take the Texans for example with Kool Aid/Cooper Dejean...

Easy solution, just root for them all :D

cmoak1982 and Rockets FTW like this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Since no one really has a handle on who will be picked where, what about ruling out a player for the rockets #3 pick.

Topic - it has been reconfirmed by credible sources that the rockets see Amen as the future at the point. Just cause there’s a team option on Fred’s contract after this year doesn’t mean we cut him lose instead of potentially extending him at a more reasonable cost. We could use a combo guard, but Topic’s player profile is such that he can only play point guard in the nba (unlike a Reed Sheppard who can play both on and off ball). He could be a BPA guy, but I highly doubt that the rockets draft Topic at #3, especially given the reoccurring knee problems.

Who else?

charlieaustin likes this.
  11. MystikArkitect

In the Paul George/Brandon Miller mold. Looks fine. He doesn't have the wiggle that Miller had coming out of Alabama. A little Sengun to his game in that he likes a taste of the flashy where he might not need it. At 6-10 I could see us getting him as Jabari insurance but he's a project. Projects as an above average defender. Free throw percentage a wee bit low at 71%. He would be another bite at the superstar apple for sure if his game translates and he takes to the NBA game.

I'm thinking the Rockets board is Sarr/Sheppard/Risacher/Clingan. Of the 4 I think Risacher would spend the year getting comfortable in the Rio Grande Valley but the second highest upside of the 4.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Interesting that he had Sarr #2 two weeks ago.

1. Risacher
    2. Sarr
    3. Clingan
    4. Dillingham
    5. Topić
    6. Buzelis
    7. Sheppard
    8. Knecht
    9. Castle
    10. C.Williams
    11. I.Collier
    12. J.Walter
    13. Holland
    14. Edey
    15. T.Salaun
    16. Filipowski
    17. D.Carter
    18. T.Da Silva
    19. McCain
    20. Missi
    21. Tyler Smith
    22. McCullar Jr.
    23. Klintman
    24. K.George
    25. C.Carrington

I think you were asking for guys the Rockets may have ruled out but my personal rule in/out:
    Rule IN: Alex Sarr, Zaccharie Risacher, Reed Sheppard, Donovan Clingan, Matas Buzelis
    Rule OUT: Rob Dillingham, Nikola Topić, Stephon Castle, Cody Williams, Dalton Knecht

Would take any of the guys on bottom list at 9 but at 3, probably not.

You ruled out Topic. I think we can also safely rule out Williams and Knecht. And Edey. ;)

Aruba77 likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m not sure I can rule out Castle at #3 if the rocket believe his shooting will improve. But Kenecht is too old to go #3 and Cody is probably too raw. Hard to see Ime being okay with the worst defender in the lotto in Dillingham; Cason Wallace was a much better pro prospect IMO. So I mostly agree with your “outs”.

#1594 Aruba77, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Is Clingan Marc Gasol 2.0?

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't really see Risacher as a project per se--I think he is ready to do the 3 and D spot up role off the bench right now if that is what the Rockets want from him. He isn't a tunnel vision guy like Cam was coming in early on. I do think a G-league stint might make sense to give him a chance to work on some other skills as the main option and just get more minutes to grow.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

why is Clingan projected to be drafted before Edey when stat wise Edey far more better?

No Worries likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Clingan is a better defensive player. The concern is that Edey will be too much of a liability on defense

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

How's Clingan better defensively?