1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hamas attacks Israel: Yom Kippur War, 50 years on

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 7, 2023.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's unfortunate for the Palestinians. One of the most powerful advanced militaries in the world needs to take special precautions not to harm the unfortunate civilians.

This mess about Palestinians supporting Hamas is BS. They may or may not and their support changes and doesn't change. But none of that matters. Supporting someone doesn't mean it's okay for your home to be destroyed and you or your family to be killed. Someone who supports Trump doesn't deserve to go to prison for Jan. 6th. unless they were there and committed crimes.

People need to stop bring up support of Hamas in trying to justify or minimize the civilian deaths in Gaza.

If Israel would like to erode whatever support there is amongst civilians for Hamas, there's plenty they could do to erode that support. Most of it is the opposite of what they are doing now. But whether or not civilians support Hamas doesn't justify their deaths, destruction of their homes, or deaths of their family members.

fchowd0311 and Amiga like this.
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's also a self fulling prophecy. The more Palestinians you oppress, displace, murder the more they will support Hamas. A downward spiral into genocide.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It’s funny how we’ve become such imbeciles that we post tweets of random ****ers saying random things as if it’s grounds to support anything

so useless and embarrassing as a society

#10305 LosPollosHermanos, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
    Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

I think there's a lot of problems with both these comparisons.

I don't see a lot of similarities with Ireland/Northern Ireland. The Good Friday Agreement was signed in 1998. By that time, Ireland was essentially a secular country. Ireland/Northern Ireland today are, practically speaking, secular countries. Almost no one seriously practices Christianity, Catholicism or Protestantism. Also, there is no real ethnic component there either. A common language. There's also no issue of holy sites like Jerusalem.

Between Israel and Palestine we see a lot of religious extremism. No signs of any decline in that religious extremism or that component going away at all. Two, by and large, ethnically different groups, different languages, two totally different religions.

I don't see the Israeli's/Palestinian's brokering a peace with all those considerations like the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom.

Right, so in Malaya, like in the Boer War, you had a removal of the population from certain areas and placing them in "internment camps" or "concentration camps" (if you're more inclined to use a charged term) creating dead zones where insurgents could be more effectively hunted and not receive support of the civilian population.

I'm not sure what the Western worlds appetite for dividing up the Palestinian population and placing them in concentration camps (some would call this "ethnic cleansing") is but yea, I guess that's an idea. I don't think it would go over well today.

I recognize no comparisons are perfect but I don't see this conflict resolving like those others.

Amiga likes this.
  7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

They do take precautions. What they are not required to do is forego attacks on Hamas because the innocents are being used as human shields.
    Actually it appears largely true.
    They do. Sometimes they would prefer a different anti-Israel terrorist org, but support is generally high.
    It matters to the people that Hamas is trying to kill.
    Correct, Hamas operating out of your house makes it okay for your home to be destroyed and you and your family to be killed. Supporting Hamas just means it is easier for Hamas to operate out of your house.
    Hamas's tactics justify the civilian deaths in Gaza. Support of Hamas by the people in Gaza just makes it easier for Hamas to use those tactics.
    They don't really need to erode support for Hamas, they are happy to just kill Hamas, including new members of Hamas that replace the old members. Palestinians should oppose Hamas (and PIJ, and whoever else), not to make it so Israel wants to kill them less, but in their own self-interest to get rid of the terrorists that brought this war down on them.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Destroying these tunnels needs to happen ASAP

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Every conflict is unique, and the resolution of each will also be unique. We can only compare and generalize so much. I think the larger point is that we really shouldn't exclude possibilities, however unlikely we believe they are. I'm very doubtful that there could be a political solution—I'm thinking there is zero chance of one with the current leaders. To me, Bibi and the extreme right wing of the Israeli government have to be out of power for there to be a chance. Hamas has to have no power and cannot be part of any political solution other than 'you are free to go but you need to disappear.' If those two things can happen, then there is a higher chance, but still pretty slim.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Israel isn't even taking the same precautions they took in previous conflicts.

It isn't just the homes that housed Hamas militants that have been destroyed.

Israel being happy to help create more anti-Israeli terrorists and kill them along with huge amounts of innocent civilians is part of the problem and why it is wise to rethink aid to them. It is also why their actions won't help Israel make their innocent citizens more secure.

Nook likes this.
  11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

One of the three bodies was Louk, who was seen carted off as a trophy already dead …what Hamas did with these bodies is beyond disgusting
    Death to Hamas

12. astros123

astros123 Member

13. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Last time I checked there was a steel wall between Egypt and Gaza. You mean people can build tunnels under walls? I've been told walls work and this is impossible. Wow that many tunnels in a 7.5 mile distance. Could you imagine how many tunnels there could be under a 2000+ mile wall?

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I don't think we have become anything, we are the same. Human beings like to think in black and white rather than grey. Hence people pick a side and tend to reinforce their beliefs by ingesting things that fall within their belief system. Our brains are wired like this, no fault of these folks.

Problem is that people don't realize this and work on trying to see both sides.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

She was bombed to
    Death by the IDF as would be expected when you carpet bomb an entire city to where 70% of it is obliterated as seen on Google earth.

oh wait hold your breath, you probably forgot that 3 hostages were shot when waving a white flag becasue they thought they were Palestinian kids, or that 6 Israeli soldiers were killed because they also mistook them for Palestinians last week.

oh wait you still need more, wait how about first hand account from rescued hostages themselves saying the IDF was bombing them to oblivion.

I have no sympathy for kidnappers, but also none for people killing their own

Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Like 90% or more of people think Hamas are horrible terrorists my guy -

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

We should just put all the moderates on both sides in Israel on boats over to the USA and then seal the rest of the weirdos under a big dome covering Israel and let them fight to the death of some sky God that doesn’t give a damn what happens.

astros123 likes this.
  18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A Palestinian converted to Judaism. An Israeli soldier saw him as a threat and opened fire
    [​IMG]
    This 2021 photo provided by Haim Parag shows David Ben-Avraham at a supermarket in the Israeli town of Beit Shemesh, where he briefly worked. Ben-Avraham, a Palestinian who was born a Muslim but made the almost unheard-of decision to convert to Judaism years earlier, was fatally shot by an Israeli soldier. (Courtesy of Haim Parag via AP)

https://apnews.com/article/israel-p...nvert-killed-93dcc0b46cc61ac8a81c36501856952f

Nook and astros123 like this.
  19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am 2/3 through Sand’s book. Right now he is exploring the idea of peasantry in the near east and how the farmer class of the near east was the same farmer class of the second temple period and were the same farmer class as the end of the Babylonian exile and that they Hellenized when the Greeks ruled, rebelled against Hellenization, rebelled and reviled the Romans and then Byzantines and then welcomed the Muslim invaders due to theological similarities. He goes on to justify these same farmers became Arabized over the centuries despite being the same people. This was initially embraced then wholly rejected by the leaders of 19th and 20th century Zionism. Palestinians went from being viewed as Jewish converts to being viewed as Arab invaders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellah?wprov=sfti1#Origins_and_usage

Nook and astros123 like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t have time to fully respond right now to your posts right now but to give a quick response.

The problem that I think you miss here is why does Israel have to keep on fighting if their polices are the right ones?

The answer that it is just because the Palestinians are inherently violent extremists is a simplistic one that again ignores where the Israelis have themselves both expressed violent rhetoric but done actions to such as collective punishment.

This isn’t just then about a moral argument that Israel is bad and the Palestinians are victims, thst is a very simplistic argument too. But they Israel’s own policies aren’t leading to lasting peace and security for them either.