1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.6%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.9%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.4%
  5. Zach Edey

2.8%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.0%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.6%
  9. Nikola Topić

8.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.0%
  1. MystikArkitect

Is this satire or a real post?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Very good post. Thanks. No reason for the rockets to draft a center unless they plan on moving Sengun.it would be a total waste, unless they are projecting stardom for said center.

3. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

My understanding is that the starting backcourt situation at Kentucky was a recruiting thing - Calipari made promises to get the DJ Wagner and Justin Edwards commits, so they had to start every game.

So Reed or Rob could have been prime Steph and MJ… they weren’t gonna start.

Instead Reed closed every game and was the PG who got the most minutes. He was clearly their PG1.

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

One of the aspects of Shep's playmaking game that surprised me was his outlet passing. I was a big fan of guys like Wes Unseld growing up because his great vision and touch on outlet passes. A really good outlet pass usually ends up in an easy basket or one-on-one at the hoop, booth are usually high percentage plays.

Watch Sheppard's outlet passing highlights and you see great vision, touch, and definitely unselfish team play. Unless your Kevin Love, most guys today (certainly guards) grab rebounds and dribble down, rarely looking ahead for open teammates. Another lost art, like blocking out that old guys like me still appreciate. ;)

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree outlet passing is an overlooked value. Just not very important for a defensive player at the pg spot

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

They all talk about passing the way you discuss the passing ability of a wing player, not as a PG. His passing is more connective making the right passes rather than passes off of an advantage situation created. Just look at how his scouting report reads vs. Scoot from last year. Which again is fine if he's projected as a SG. But if you want to say he's replacing FVV as the Rockets PG of the future, then you'd want more than what he's shown so far.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but what you're describing as a small difference between them is actually the difference between like Luka Doncic and Demar Derozan. It's not small at all because within context, it's what makes tiers of difference.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's relatively straightforward, see:

Turkish League is flat out better than SEC on average. Therefore, Sengun at age 17/18 faced more difficult competition on average.

Sorry but you guys are using the same arguments that made Sengun go 16th in the draft. It's really outdated stuff. It's also why I'm supporting picking an international player because the same thing is happening all over again this draft. The way American scouts rate European teams is totally whack.

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's fact. Turkish basketball aint ****. Doncic winning Euroleague MVP is a big deal, Sengun winning Turkish league MVP really isn't.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I still think Reed should be the clear #1... but I'd be very happy with Risachere as well.

I take back some of my comments about him not being able to create... watching more of his tape he's more fluid and capable than I thought. Creating for himself and not others mind you, but I have been pleasantly surprised by his handle... I definitely do see some Franz in him.

Bear in mind, I personally am not the biggest Bari fan - i WANT to be badly, but need to see more. And want to give him that chance, hence Reed being my #1. Like where does Risachere even get PT?

That issue aside, I like him.

Calvin Murphy's Law likes this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Add to all that, one podcast I saw said he was the most NBA ready of all the picks. Ready to contribute right now!

12. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sort of a little bit wish we were in a position where it makes sense to pick Devin Carter. I think he's the dark horse of this rather weak draft class. He tested out very athletic at the combine. Great motor, defensive instincts. Good three point shot. Plus, 6'9" wingspan. The only major issue is--despite all those strengths, he's still a 6'3" shooting guard.

TEXNIFICENT and No Worries like this.
  15. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

This draft looks lame

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

JG4 says ... hold my beer.

Arnel and OremLK like this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Udoka/Stone value shooting, so ... they are going to draft a shot blocker?

Rudyc281 and JayZ750 like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj: Confidence in who the first three picks would be?

Givony: I think we know generally the group. Can there be surprises? Absolutely.

...Givony: It might not cost as much to move up from 3 to 1 as it would in a different year. That's where deal making could happen. Spurs have 4 and 8. Could they be aggressive and move up the board? Who knows. I do think there's a group of players at the top.

...Givony: I like this draft a lot more than 2013. I think a lot of these players will be good. Superstars? Probably not but there will be several all-stars and high quality NBA players. When drafting 1-2-3, you want a franchise player. Are any of these guys franchise players? Probably not and that's where people are down on this draft. You're lacking that star power. But that's what makes it interesting. ...

Woj: Based on evaluations you've done and intel on these players, take away need at 1-2-3, Houston at 3 because they have way more pieces in place, Houston you can make the case you might look positionally a little more but who are the 2-3 best prospects right now?

Givony: I've had Risacher number one pretty much all season. He's having a remarkable year in France. Just turned 19. 6'10. Shooting 39% from three. One of the best perimeter defenders in this draft. Can guard PGs through PFs. Elite feel for the game. A frame that will fill out in time. Productivity. Risacher can play a role on any team in the NBA right now. Everyone is looking for that 6'10 wing who can slide between the two and four, make shots, smart, doesn't turn the ball over, guard everyone. He'll have a good NBA career. Great player? That's the question.

After Risacher, Donovan Clingan is a guy I'd have number two. 7'3, 7'7 wingspan, that kind of defender, protects the rim, instincts, timing, intensity he brings, makes plays as a passer, screener, roller, finisher. I've spent time around him here in Chicago. I believe he'll reach his full potential and also becomes a 3pt shooter. I say think about a cross between Rudy Gobert and Brook Lopez. Is that an all-star? Maybe. Is it a MVP? Probably not but that's a high level starter any NBA team would want on their roster.

Woj: There are elements to his game you didn't see at UConn but that have been there. As far back a HS, spent time behind a 3pt line developing that game. You go watch him workout or to a practice, you see him moving around the arc and back again and shooting the ball. He's not been a great FT shooter but no reason to believe he won't become a better FT shooter. Nothing wrong with his stroke. You've seen his dominance defensively. Lateral quickness, ability to recover, cover so much ground. You saw vs Illinois they couldn't get anywhere near the basket with him on the floor. He's massive.

Givony: 9'7 standing reach. The rim is 10'. He can dunk without jumping. Absolute massive human being. Incredible instincts. Knows how to position himself. Mastered the drop defense. Can switch on the perimeter and get out and hedge. He'll only get better. He's only 20 years old.

Woj: Teams know the intel: teammate he is, leader he was, empathy for teammates, that's been known through his time at UConn. You talk to teams today who started to spend time with him, that was only going to enhance his stock. He'll go to select teams and spend more time. That will only help his case at number one, number two, number three.

Givony: After Clingan, it's a tie for me with Rob Dillingham and Reed Sheppard. Both PGs from Kentucky, both came off the bench for Calipari. Different types of players. Dillingham is oozing with star power. Electric with the ball, gets anywhere he wants on the floor, can make shots in a variety of different ways, made 44% from three, can pass off live dribble. Think of a cross between Darius Garland and star power of Ja Morant. That's the player he'll be.

Reed Sheppard: biggest surprise in CBB. People thought he'd be a 4-year player. Calipari was telling recruits he's a legacy recruit. Don't worry about Reed Sheppard. Shoots 50% from three. One of the best defensive playmakers in college basketball. Blocking shots, getting steals, making high level reads out of the P&R. Feel for the game is so good.

Woj: With the Spurs at 4 and 8, if they were gonna choose one of those guards and also Topic from Serbia, do you imagine one of them being a better fit with Wembanyama? Can you give some on the defensive end for an outstanding offensive guard because Victor will cover?

Givony: Rob and Reed both fit well for different reasons. Reed feels like a Spurs-y guy. I lean Rob a little bit because of star power. In today's NBA, you need a guard who can carry your team, carry your offense. With Dillingham, is it a little bit too much? He was always on a little bit of a leash at Kentucky, have to give him the freedom to take bad shots, throw the ball in the 3rd row, you have to give him freedom to make those mistakes. Do the Spurs feel comfortable with that? Or do they prefer Reed Sheppard, more of a singles and doubles hitter. Always makes the right read, makes right play, only takes good shots, rarely makes mistakes but is his upside as high as Dillingham, who is electric off the dribble and good in the open court?

And then Topic: best passer in this draft, 6'7, masterful making reads out of P&R, can hit the strong side, weak side, pocket passes, lobs, skips, he can do it all with both hands. Gets to the rim in an athletic way. Not a great shooter. Not a great defender. Spurs will have to balance those three guys. Who is the best fit with Wembanyama?

Rashmon, joshuaao, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is a fair balanced look at Risachere. I'm liking him more and more - the weaknesses highlighted are noteworthy... but it "feels" like a lot of that is as much a function of his age as anything. And lack of spacing in Euroball.

I mean consider this - in a much stronger draft, we took Bari at 3. Principally because we were caught with our pants down. Insiders have said the Rockets were 100% on Paolo from midway thru that college season. That aside... Bari objectively had almost no fluidity and handle coming out of college. And Bari didn't even seem to have the stick-to-it-ness defensively quite the way Risachere even does. Bari had the edge as that taller, seemingly bigger sharpshooter but turns out the NBA 3 line tanked his efficiency.

In any case, point being, i get Risachere's inability to create amazingly is the type of thing that makes you say "really, at 3?!?" but for whatever reason that didn't seem to be a refrain for people in a strong draft where Bari was projected to go #1 most of the time.

Still prefer Reed - but would be happy with this guy.

IvanLCPM, Arnel, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm feeling better that we will get a difference maker even if we don't get Reed...

But Reed is still my top choice.

Rudyc281 likes this.