1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is the highest pick we could get for jalen in this draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheBeastSystem, May 15, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think you can see how vapid his analysis is when he thinks because Bari is a more efficient scorer than Green, he needs to replace Green as a vocal point.

He cant grasp that efficiency is a product of not only ability but context of your role. This is very basic basketball analysis that prevent people from saying things like KJ Martin being a better scorer than Jalen Brunson. But apparently y this guy doesn't understand this basic concept.

#101 fchowd0311, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Y’all might be getting into semantics a little bit here, but when a player takes the most shots per game, I consider him the focus of your offense. After three years, it’s time to start siphoning off some of those shots to players who can actually get them in the basket. And we have players that can do that more effectively than Green does. My point was only that we don’t go all the way back to square one if we trade Green, even if it’s for a rookie. Y’all need to chill out. Do some yoga or tai chi or something.

3. fchowd0311

What players can do what Green does more efficiently on this roster outside of FVV and Sengun?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Cam Whitmore is more efficient....just to name someone in Jalen's spot.

DD

5. fchowd0311

Cam Whitmore is more efficient the same way KJ Martin is more efficient.

Don't blame me. Blame NBA's tracking on unassisted fgs made. Cam creates his own offense at half the rate as Green and against opposing bench units.

6. fchowd0311

If you don't like criticism of stupid takes on massage board you need to chill out and just not bother posting.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh at this point the Rockets are riding out the upcoming season with Green because the potential upside is vastly more than his value around the league. Sometimes you have to play the upside game. There is a real possibility that Green never takes the next step, but it is also possible he becomes a 25+ point a game scorer that improves his shooting - he has done that, just not for a full season.

With the third pick this season, assuming the Rockets keep it and draft smartly - the Rockets will be pretty good with increased internal growth.

Amen Thompson and Sheppard (if the Rockets draft him) will take away some of the ball handling duties from Green. So he is going to need to work on his shooting - and I expect the quality of shoots he gets off ball to improve and help his percentages as well.

theDude likes this.
  8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

If he finally learns how to cut off the ball consistently - he is still not all that bright when watching him play. Especially off the ball, he drifts and doesn't know what to do too often.

Jalen just isn't that great of a basketball player, he isn't a guy that has a high BBall IQ - he is a great athlete that plays basketball.

Not a great basketball player that is also an athlete, there is a big difference....

DD

AroundTheWorld, Rokman and theDude like this.
  9. fchowd0311

Do you want Amen to take ball handling duties way from Green?

Amen more than likely will still be used as a short roll, dunkers spot role than a on ball playmaker.
    More akin to a super athletic Draymond Green.

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not sure what things he does that you are talking about. There are many Jalen-bashing threads around here. I’ll let you go argue in those.

I will say that I think we get a little too enamored with athleticism and dunking and forget about the fundamentals. I want our shooting guard to make shots, and so far, Green has not done that to a level I would expect on a consistent basis. For all of the other things he does, he’s most effective when his shot is falling.

AroundTheWorld, Rokman and DaDakota like this.
  11. fchowd0311

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of my entire point.

You are claiming that Jabari should have a bigger role than Green because he's more efficient. Do you think that is attributed to ability? Or is it role?

Why didn't we keep KJ Martin when he's more efficient than Sengun by a wide margin and make him the focal point?

Why don't we just have a decending list of league ts% and name the person at the top as the best scorer in the league?

What do you think you are missing with your analysis?

#111 fchowd0311, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
    cmlmel77 and Dobbizzle like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It really is as simple as that. When Jalen’s shot is falling he is a great offensive player. When it’s not he isn’t. He’s become a good enough defensive player to be a top player in the league IF he learns to shoot.

Rokman and theDude like this.
  13. fchowd0311

https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/player/5092/onoff#tab-team_efficiency

https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/player/4865/onoff#tab-team_efficiency

On offense Green is in the 72nd percentile in on/off offensive impact while Jabari is in the 28th percentile.

Why do you think this is if Jabari has a higher ts% and fg%?

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not a Jalen apologist. But c'mon, the Rockets were a .500 team. There were 17 teams that had better records. Almost non of them had a better winning stretch than that. Dismissing Jalen's performance as the main reason is just twisting the narrative.

I am still on the fence about Jalen Green, leaning toward the "no" side. But there's no denying that when he plays like a superstar, we are a very formidable team.

noppeper likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Jalen is a better player when his shot is falling. That is a statement that can be made about every player in the NBA.

It's a very meaningless statement.

At the end of the day Green has the third highest on/off impact on offense according to Cleaning the Glass for the totality of the season which includes his bad stretches. When his shot isn't falling he's still elite at breaking down half court defenses and collapsing them. He still commands gravity.

Does Jalen need to be more consistent as a shooter? Yes. But that doesn't make or beak him from being worthless to a superstar. There are gradients.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Never said he was or ever will be worthless, but he will not be a “top player” unless he becomes a good shooter. I’m with Dude. You need to chill out.

17. Rokman

Rokman Member

I didn't say he wasn't great during that stretch, he was, but it's still a team game. The team as a whole was playing in sync and Jalen was on fire, that's not the point here. The point here is that was a flash in the pan. Expecting THAT to be him going forward is foolish. He came right down from that high as quickly as he rose. That's why I want to move him. Before that run he had zero trade value. ZERO. He stunk it up ALL year before that getting benched in the 4th quarter over and over again. Everyone was fed up.He finally put together a string of games and now everyone things that's who he is. It's foolish.

18. fchowd0311

And why do I need to "chill out"?

The dude says Jabari needs a bigger role than Green on offense because his efficiency is higher.

Why can't I explain to I'm that is a vapid superficial way to analyze the sport? Please explain.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The original question before the thread got side tracked by boot licking, and excuse making....was what number pick could we get by trading Jalen Green?

Even with him not being a sure fire hit going into his 5th year as a pro, he has proven to be a quality NBA player - at the very least a good 6th man that can get hot at times and carry a team.

So, with that in mind and the lack of a "Sure Fire" number 1 in this draft, I think you could realistically get the number 1 pick for him from Atlanta....

And I don't really even like Jalen, but he is a known commodity, while all these guys could completely bust out......

DD

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

this will be his 4th year not 5th, he was drafted the same year as sengun, 2021. 2020 was the ant draft

fchowd0311 likes this.