1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.8%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.8%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.2%
  5. Zach Edey

2.8%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.0%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.7%
  9. Nikola Topić

8.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.0%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I could be betting that neither Dillingham nor Sheppard has anything to do with Iverson, Ky and Steph.

Got your point though.

#1421 daywalker02, May 16, 2024
    Last edited: May 16, 2024
    saleem likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let's add that Sengun is of the Jokic mode. Jabari is of the Garnett mode. Jalen is of the Kobe mode. :D

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Steve Nash? One of the greatest ever in terms of point guard skills? I don't see that at all on Reed's tape. He's really more of a combo guard, his ballhandling is nowhere remotely close to Nash's level, and his passing isn't that spectacular either. Maybe he can become something like Kyle Lowry or Mike Conley if he develops his point guard skills.

My comps for Risacher, by the way:

Floor: Nicolas Batum
    Ceiling: Khris Middleton

4. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

We need size all around. We have plenty of talented athletes but they're thin. Adams will help, absolutely, we need his bruising but he's missed a BUNCH of games in his last 5 seasons so I question his availability. Especially if we are trying to make a playoff push late in the season.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We need shooting A LOT more than we need size...I mean we start two 6'11 players already and have 2 7 footers at backup C spots.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

It is a crazy ceiling that is super unlikely to happen (like 1% outcome), but I don't think it is crazy. Reed threw it out as a comp (what he aspires to be I guess), and I'm pretty sure Sam Vecenie threw it out as a super high ceiling for him if everything hits. I personally would probably go with that too vs someone like Curry I think. Of course, to repeat again, neither is likely to happen (similar to Sengun being Jokic, Jalen being MJ, Jabari being KD, etc).

I am probably higher on his passing than you though. If you're not that high on that, then I could see what you're saying.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Ah, well when I talk about ceiling I usually think of a top 10% outcome not like a crazy 1% best case scenario. Maybe that's just me though.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is interesting that in this 2024 Draft, anyone coming close to AI, Steph or Kyrie would be considered catching lightning in a bottle.

9. RC Cola

Oh for sure. I'd never willingly throw out those Nash, Curry, etc. comps. Anything like that is setting yourself up for failure. I suppose it will happen 1% of the time, but there's no point in making those predictions now. I think floor, median, and high median (10-25% likely) outcomes are the most useful at this point. If Reed puts up 16 ppg/8 apg on 50/40/90% splits, then we can start talking Steve Nash comps.

Full disclosure, I did exaggerate what Sam said based on my memory. Looked it up, and he said something like "somewhere in the ballpark of....not Steve Nash, lower than that...but high."

Can watch that here (tried to timestamp it around 44:23, though general Reed talk starts a bit before that):

On a general note, the point Sam makes about high skill guys (at a young age) having really high ceilings is something I think people don't fully realize. I don't view a guy like Reed as low upside (relative to someone like Castle, Risacher, etc.) even though his floor should be fairly high.

Rashmon, Nook, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I’m taking Edey at 3 and betting on him. Size, Hands nice touch and more athleticism than folks thought. We can make other moves to get more shooting.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A Nash with slightly lower ft% but more windmill dunks!

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

14. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Definitively differentiating a guy’s p90 vs p95 vs p99 outcome is a fool’s errand I agree.

But there is something meaningful to the these kind of comps IMO.

Curry, Nash, Stockton, and CP3 are 4 of the best 40 players ever, all at Reed’s size or smaller. Does Reed have a 1% chance or a 5% chance of being them? IDK.

But, analytically at least, there hasn’t been any player in the last 15 years who at 19 had a better chance of becoming one of them.

The only competition model-wise are Kyrie, who was better but a different sort of player, and Trae, similarly different style but grades out similar to Reed analytically.

This means something I think.

15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I like Edey but if we were to trade the pick I would want more lottery picks in the draft.

16. futilman

futilman Member

Fair- but thats still so short. when has a short shooter who isnt an awesome playmaker worked out?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Steph Curry.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Been quite a few honestly. But if that’s all Sheppard was, was a shooter I wouldn’t want him.
    Dude is an elite defender, really good playmaker and an elite shooter. And has good NBA athleticism

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. RC Cola

Agreed. I don't like these super high end comps, but I definitely think it's worth looking at guys who put up similar stats in similar situations. And when that list of names is mostly/entirely made up of all-stars, then I'd feel pretty good about rolling with that guy more often than not.

Good question.

On a completely unrelated note, Jalen Brunson sure is having a good year, isn't he?

Arnel, subtomic, carl_herrera and 3 others like this.
  20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So Reed Sheppard is Steph Curry? Cmon man. He should go 1st then .

fckbandwagons likes this.