1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Need To Take Zach Edey In Draft!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I'm with you 100% Sengun and Edey in the front court would be best!!!

leebigez and Imanimal like this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

he averaged 2 assists per game and had 0 in the title game, if that's not jokic, i don't know what is

RollingWave likes this.
  3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He's a agile mobile center. He doesn't have to be an offensive juggernaut. He just needs to be able to slow down the others teams offensive centers. Sengun is our offensive big.

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

You can’t play a center with another center unless one is an elite shooter, ala towns.

RollingWave likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'd rather wait another year to year and a half to do something like this. If I didn't have the option to wait I would rather trade more assets for someone younger. just my opinion.

6. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

They are not traditional centers though, they are both mobile and can shoot. The lane will still be open for the wings. Also if you can have other big bodies that are mobile instead of going small just to stretch the floor that is ideal.

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Who can shoot? sengun cannot shoot at all, is edey a good/great shooter? They're also not mobile, they're pure centers. Mobile would be like an anthony davis, JJJ type

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Window is only open so long.

VanVleet + Brooks gets "Play-In"

Rockets have to improve roster or probably only make "Play-In"
    VanVleet and Dillon get too many minutes as starters for our kids to get playing
    time and improve.

I don't see either Sengun or Jalen Green getting their extensions but Rockets need to have
    a good play run. Paul George is 100 times better than Dillon Brooks.

I don't think Clippers have a first round pick and getting Sarr, Clingan or Edey at #3 would go a long way.
    Zubac would spend a year training the rookie. Clips probably can't afford to re-sign Zubac next
    summer (or any free agent Center).....rookie now would be an excellent option.

Most stars after 32 years of age tend to work not get two year deals. I would expect PG13 to only
    get two years. In fact I believe the terrible VanVleet deal with us to be used to be moved for
    a good player like Paul George.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Let's be honest . . . Jocic looks so fricking awkward all the time
    NOTHING HE DOES LOOKS SMOOTH . . but that sh*t is effective

I can say I liked Edey more as a late round pick
    but Not sure on a high pick . . .though I still think he will be good and produce

Rocket River

Imanimal likes this.
  10. TheBeastSystem

nothing

seen nothing to move Smith either

coming into 3rd year

at worst will be a great role player

still has good upside and is one step away - a little more playmaking - from being an ideal ime player - defend, switch, shoot, and make plays off the perimeter overplay

11. TheBeastSystem

whoever said sengun cant shoot doesnt know basketball

12. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

If the Rockets had another pick in the 20s I'd definitely take Edey, if nothing else he'll kill second teams for 15 minutes.

But for 3 the odds of him being able to play with Sengun is just too limited. I think Ime probably can build enough of a defense around him that he will work, but at the end of the day that's just too much replication of assets.

Saar if he's somehow there is a more plausible guy that can play with Alpy, or at least a 3 man rotation with those 2 and Jabari can work where they all get enough minutes. but I doubt he'll be there.

There are teams like the Spurs / Thunder / Memphis where I feel like this makes more sense to take Edey if to just give them a big-time curve ball. They can play with our without him depending on the matchup.

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

When I supported Cam last year that was the same knock everyone had on him. Edey didn’t have many assists because his job at Purdue was to dominate the paint and I’d gladly take 37 points and 17 rebounds with little assists as that’s what he brings to the table as a two time player of the year center (not point guard). Jokic is without a doubt 100% better in that aspect of his game, but I’d still be happy getting a Jokic type player without being great at that one skill. Reed Sheppard in his final game against Oakland was 3-0-3. Yes, the three assists were nice but no way comparable to Zach’s game after game totals.

Rocket River likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind Edey if we were to miraculously end up with another pick. But we must draft Reed Sheppard. Center is our strongest position right now. 3-point shooting is our biggest weakness. And I think Sheppard has upside as a PG as well.

Rocket River and Easy like this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Isn’t reed several years younger? Some team will waste a pick of edey for sure, and as long as it’s a late pick I don’t care if it’s us, those picks rarely do anything anyway

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Zach Edey On NBA Future: I'm Going To Stick To Who I Am

Zach Edey knows the current NBA is all about centers who can step out and shoot. Edey thinks he can do that too, but he's more focused on staying true to his game.

“I think it just comes with kind of realizing who I am,” Edey said. “I’m never going to be the wiry seven-foot guy who can — like Kevin Durant, that is never going to be me, guys like that. I’m a 7-foot-4, 300-pound guy. I’m built to be in the paint, to carve out space to protect my area. And that’s what I’m gonna keep doing. I think there’s a lot of people in the NBA that do stuff like that. (Jonas) Valanciunas, (Ivica) Zubac, Steven Adams; guys who had a lot of success in the NBA being those paint presences. I’m going to stick to who I am and I kind of know who I am.”

The Purdue product measured in at nearly 7-foot-4 without shoes at the NBA Draft Combine. He also ended up with a nearly 7-foot-11 wingspan. That size, combined with his skill and timing, made Edey one of college basketball's best shot-blockers last season.

That skill, plus his ability to control the glass, is what Edey plans to bring initially into the NBA.

“A team would be drafting me for who I am,” Edey said. “I think I can get there but right now they’re not drafting me for, like, pick-and-pop shoot 3s. Right now, they’re drafting me to get in the paint, get rebounds, protect the paint. Obviously, you saw in my shooting drills I can shoot. I can do stuff like that if you ask me to.

“But it all just comes down to what the team asks me to do at the end of the day.”

leebigez likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree pg-13 for either Dillon, fillers no. 3 for pg13 is a no brainer. FVV and no. 3 also works for me and make a trade for a vet combo guard in that circumstance. Totally disagree on Sengun. He will develop a decent enough 3 pt shot to get the max.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I like when we agree.

And on Sengun, I don't think I said Sengun won't develop a 3-point shot.

But I have been waiting 3-years for four or five attempts per game. From there we build on.

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What’s the point of pg13? We won’t be relevant for at least 2 more years, and he’s already in his mid 30s

Rocket River likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We will be relevant, but he is too old anyway.