1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is the highest pick we could get for jalen in this draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheBeastSystem, May 15, 2024.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think it's a lot more likely that we trade out of this draft all together than trade for another pick in it.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think we could fleece Detroit. They are so desperate for a shot at a legit SG.

3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's just insanity at this point.

JusBleezy and cmlmel77 like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would argue the Jalen nonsense is Linsanity at this point.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lol Wiggins was not even close to being better than Jalen on the Twolves. This is a comparison of Jalen's third season to Wiggins' fifth.

https://stathead.com/tiny/DFzJK

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting that you didn't choose 3rd season to 3rd season or first 3 seasons to first 3 seasons..... wonder why that might be?

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I chose the 5th season because that's when Minnesota traded him. The comparison still favors Jalen in both of the scenarios you mentioned if you want to look up the comparison yourself.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also you picked it so your narrative wouldn't fall apart.

In the end they are both draft busts, so my point stands.

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like this question. Jalen, right now, is WAY better than anyone in this draft, but when you factor in contract values, roster build, etc., it's really not a bad question. If Jalen were in this draft, he almost certainly goes number 1. But he's not. And you have to factor in the cost of an extension, etc.

It would be a high pick. Not number 1, probably not 2, obviously not 3, but anything below that could be in play I'd think.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The better question might be, what team thinks highly enough of Jalen Green to trade their pick for him.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  11. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

A draft position's value is only relevant to the pool of talent available for that particular year. This year's #1 pick is obviously not worth nearly as much as last year's. That being said, there's no one in this year's draft that is worth the current version of Jalen Green unless you're looking at potential (like JGs). I'm all for looking at options for Green, but I would look outside the draft. This team is loaded with young talent and the Draft isn't really providing a player that moves that needle for this team. If this was last year's draft, or even the one before... then yes, maybe. I would just keep our current pick and draft BPA.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

People need to stop pointing to Jalen and comparing him to prospects in this draft and then applying cromag logic. It’s Jalen on a max or near max contract vs. a 2024 draft prospect on a rookie scale deal. That context is critical.

I would prefer to convert Jalen into a player upgrade, but if Washington offers you #2 for Jalen, we’ve got to consider that deal.

Y2JT, AroundTheWorld, fattz and 5 others like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

4 is San Antonio, they wouldn't be interested

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Actually, the more I think about it the more I might actually consider it if Washington said "we'll give you #2 for Jalen straight up". I know some of our posters might think that's crazy, but the chance to get both Risacher and Reed Sheppard cost-controlled--that's very interesting. Both of those guys should be positive contributors early on in their careers--they're not major projects despite their young ages. It solves the Jalen contract situation and frees up cap space to keep our other guys. You turn the core 6 into potentially a core 7, with four of those guys on cost-controlled rookie contracts for 3 or more seasons.

That's a team you can keep together for most the decade--maybe you end up trading either Jabari OR Tari in a year or two--but other than that, you're pretty set with most of your rotation to just rely on internal development and clever free agent signings, and you have loads of ammo to acquire a star with all those young players + the remaining Brooklyn picks.

The risk factor is of course that Jalen breaks out and becomes an All-NBA caliber player. If he's even just a low-level all-star you could say maybe it's not that bad, but if he becomes a top 15 guy in the league, you'd hate to see it.

It's that judgment call again--is this guy going to put it together as a scorer and become the dude we saw in March pretty consistently? Or is he going to keep showing flashes while largely treading water as an overall scorer?

If Washington were to call and make that offer, I'd hate to be Stone & the front office trying to make that decision.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

After 3 seasons, Jalen Green is still the unknown. He still shows that he has the potential to be a star. He still hasn't shown that he can reach that ceiling, not even half way to it.

In that sense, he is as much of a gamble (whether keeping him or giving him up) as any lotto draft pick we may be able to trade him for.

AroundTheWorld and OremLK like this.
  16. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol I was about to post the same response as you, Bobbythegeek is a desperate broken record on a quest to be right about something, You are right. You compare value at the time of the trade.

cmlmel77 and mfastx like this.
  17. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In your opinion they are both draft busts, it's not a fact. So your point is flat on it's back.

#57 Pistol Pete, May 16, 2024
    Last edited: May 16, 2024
  18. MystikArkitect

#1 overall. He's head and shoulders a better talent than anyone in this draft and would be the consensus #1 overall pick if he was to be drafted.

I wouldn't trade Jalen for Alex Sarr right now. And I really want Jalen to not be on this team next year.

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

If we're re-tanking I'd seriously take this in consideration. But watching us play our best basketball in 3 years with Jalen being the best player in the NBA and Sengun out, I think trading Jalen doesn't make sense. Our numbers drastically improved with Jalen as our primary scorer

20. spankz141

spankz141 Member

It would be a mistake to trade Green for a 1st Rounder this year. From my understanding, we have the right to match his contract and let's face it, no one is giving him a max contract. We can probably re-sign him to a team friendly contract. Also, we need someone to replace his scoring and I don't see anyone in this draft that can do that.