1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is the highest pick we could get for jalen in this draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheBeastSystem, May 15, 2024.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

As much as I don't believe Jalen Green is the piece we should build around, I do believe in this weak draft class Jalen is definitely worth a top 5 or maybe even top 2 in this class. That's why I'm totally ok with trading our picks from this year to upgrade in the next and some fillers. If Jalen is included with those picks for a strong serviceable player and a good high pick in next years draft, that would be even better.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  2. prs325

prs325 Member

Jalen for whoever drafts Castle
    or Reed
    Will jump on it
    Or a sweetener to get Sarr

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

What a bunch of young, idiotic, neophytes we have on this board.

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Let's spin this a little differently, what if DET, WAS or CHA offered us an unprotected 2025 #1 and useful vet for JG. Would you do it?

Reasons I'd consider it...
    - Next year's draft is supposed to be very good. The likelihood those 3 will be in the early lottery again is pretty high.
    - While it's a gamble that JG doesn't become a star, dealing him for a future high protected pick in a very good draft maximizes his current value.
    - Extends our talent collection phase with this pick and Nets' picks. Spreads out youth a bit better and next year we could swing for another star.
    - It actually might be better for JG to get a fresh start with a different squad.

There's probably other reasons to consider doing it, but I'm not a JG hater and wouldn't mind keeping him to see how he looks this year. He could blossom with another year under Ime and be that true athletic SG we need.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

There's a possibility Washington would take a chance on him. I don't think Atlanta would, but that's more because they don't need guards.

I'm not sure there are any players in this draft with his upside. The tricky thing is his contract status. He's about to get paid. But Washington might not mind that as much as other teams since they're at the early stages of a rebuild--if he doesn't pan out, well, they weren't contending within the duration of that contract anyway.

Probably a moot point though. We're not at the stage where we're looking to load up on rookies. I don't see us making a trade like this

BallSoHarden and JayGoogle like this.
  6. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think Washington would consider trading the #2 pick for Jalen. He dumped 42 points on their heads just 2 months ago. He may not lead them to the playoffs but he could help sell tickets and he has enough flash to get fans hyped that he'll be something great. Me and a lot of other people here know better.

AroundTheWorld and jim1961 like this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Fans here would be quick to trade Jamal Murray if he was drafted here years ago.

Torn Achilles, Injury Prone his First Couple of Years, Trade him away quick Jamal Murray got destroyed by James Harden. The organization stayed with him, showed dedication and trust in Jamal.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

9. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

The argument isn't that Jalen is a better prospect than anyone in this draft, it's that the difference isn't worth having to pay him loads of money very soon.

I would do it if offered. We may regret it, we may not.

10. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

And he is in the same age range as other players in this draft. He is the same age as Edey, and one year younger than Knecht, for example

11. Saeculum

Saeculum Member

Honestly, you could prob. get the #1. Maybe not from ATL, but plenty of the popular podcasters have said the league values #1 this year at the Cam Johnson, Terrance Mann, Tobias Harris level. Like, 4th or 5th starter. Whether you think their "sources" are real or being truthful is up to you but literally no one is high on this draft.

2-3 guys will make an All-Star team, of course. There's just no one who anyone is excited about.

Philip K. Nick likes this.
  12. TheBeastSystem

I didn't say the only pick or the only asset

i said the highest pick in this draft

i think he should be worth 2 picks at least

maybe he and tate for #6 and one of their 2027 firsts plus davis carcass

why

because charlotte wants/needs superstar potential and we need juice to get reed and ivey

if washington wants him at 2 that will work just fine too
    jg and tate for 2 and 2-4 seconds or a 27 first

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

hahaha, true, true.
    J.Green is like these collectible action dolls: once you take them out of the box they lose their value.

astrosrule likes this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That’s pretty much all draft picks, besides the ones who really hit

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You are absolutely right. Jalen would get way more than the no. 1 pick in this draft. The rest of the NBA is not nearly as down on Jalen as this fan base. He is still very young and has huge upside. I would trade Jalen for the right package, but for a draft pick in this draft, no freaking way.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If true, trade him immediately because that's more than the Wolves got for Wiggins who is better than Jalen.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’d definitely would consider what you outlined. Only because next year’s draft is supposed to be one for the ages. Washington is an absolute shoe-in for a top 5 pick, just don’t know if they have a useful vet. It is still a gamble. Jalen’s performance near the end of the year gave a lot of skeptics, like myself, reason to pause.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Jamal always had a good handle....Jalen still doesn't.

DD

19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you just compare him to Oscar Goldman?
    IMG_6140.jpeg

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"Clear". So do we get #1 if that offer is made right now?

AroundTheWorld and REEKO_HTOWN like this.