1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Green become Edwards?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 4, 2024.

?

Will Jalen Green become as good as Anthony Edwards?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Edwards is just different. Green will never be on his level.

DaDakota likes this.
  2. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Green doesn't have the size/build to have Ant's physicality.

Now he doesn't need have to, because he is a little quicker and because I think Sengun can become a better playmaker than KAT and Amen has a higher playmaking ceiling than anyone else on their team. Green has to get better with manipulating his speed with pauses/hesitations, find a few go to mid range spots/shots, and just be more consistent.

Arda likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Seems like an opportune time to bump this thread.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Green doesn't have the skill, the size, the mentality, the shot making, the creativity, the handle - there is no comparison - Ant will be a STAR in the league.....Green will be IN the league big difference.

DD

Tankeio and tycoonchip like this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Other than that, I LOVE Green."

DD

glimmertwins likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

“But not as much as I HEART KPJ”

DD

ROXTXIA, glimmertwins and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

After watching Jalen go on his 3 week run towards the end of the season. He definitely gave us Ant Man vibes.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've watched enough Ant games and Green games to conclude the main advantage Ant has is strength. It's a wide gap in that department but Green is absolutely more quick with more fluid handles and creativity with the handle. If you watch both sides by side, Green looks like a more natural lead ball handler.

10. rocketstruther

We all wish he could, but the physicality just won't be there. No one is pushing Edwards around. JG sure could put on some weight and muscle but they just have pretty different body types where JG has a thinner frame, and the additional weight would damper his athleticism to boot which might actually be a good or a bad thing, idk. Tbh I sometimes feel he'd benefit from slowing down just a tad because with JG sometimes it feels like his speed is out of alignment with his other skills. There's definitely a better balance there that he still hasn't found and will hopefully click for him one day.

I don't see JG being a "natural lead ball handler" at all - teams would double him all day to get him to turn the ball over. His handles are still shaky. He's fast but he has no variation to his pace - that's something that he needs to seriously improve on actually because for all the praise we are giving him about his speed and athleticism, he doesn't know how to use it at all: no deceleration, no starts and stops, no pace changes like Luka, etc. His decision making is usually bad. I don't see him as a selfish guy, but not really an innate team-first playmaker either. Not saying he can't ever be a primary ball handler, there's just there's nothing coming to him naturally here and there's a massive gap for him to close. Athleticism, height, wingspan, jump height etc are tools, and tools are just means to an end - it really doesn't mean anything how good your tools are if you don't know how to use them. Some of the stuff being said here is full-on projection at this point of your fantasies about what kind of player you imagined he'd be and frankly totally divorced from facts.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Edwards became Green in game 7, shooting-wise...but got bailed out by his teammates on offense, and still played good defense.

rocketstruther likes this.
  12. rocketstruther

I mean, that's one way Green can become Edwards I guess. There's already some similarity in extracurricular activities.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Green looking like a more natural lead ball handler than Ant is delusional…Green has the most basic ball skills

aside from being 10x stronger, Ant can also shoot at least around an average level…another thing that separates him from Green who can only shoot average or above for a few weeks every season

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The further Edwards progresses, the wider the gap becomes between those 2......Even in failure.

Green has not even sniffed at the Playoffs, he sniffed at the Play In for 11 games.

Green would be light years worse with another coach if Udoka did not sign up to this.

You cannot buy Playoff Experience.

15. J Rock

J Rock Member

If he could he’d already have his extension.

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

We must know two different Ant Mans.

Because Anthony Edwards - the Timberwolves player - yeah nah Jalen Green has not once ever looked like that guy.

17. fchowd0311

Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch games.

Hell former NBA players who are opposing team commentators was lyrical about his handles combined with his speed.

Jalen Green has split more doubles with a handle this season than Ant has his career probably.

18. fchowd0311

@Reeko

I also remember a few months back with NBA.com time of possession tracker calculated how many dribbles per game each player averaged for the first two years of their career with Booker, Ant and Jalen and did a ratio with their turnovers per game and Ant and Booker far exceeded Green in the amount of turnovers per dribble attempt.

I show pnr primary ball handler possessions and their turnover rates because that type of possession utilizes advanced dribble moves the most as you have to navigate screens and multiple defenders as a primary ball handler.

And there is simply the eye test. Go watch the last Ant vs Jalen game to see their handles literally side by side.

Basic handles my ass.

Really weirded out by this continuous narrative by some here that Green has "weak handles" or "basic handles". Where did this narrative come from?

Compared to who? Prime CP3? Kyrie Irving? LaMelo Ball?

Sure. Compared to Booker, Ant and other prominent off guards?

Hell no.

I'm sorry but if Green has "basic handles" then people really need to give up hope in Amen being a primary lead ball handler or Whitmore being a primary self creating guard.

#218 fchowd0311, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Only the most hilariously delusional posters think that draft bust Jalen Green could magically become Anthony Edwards. We get a good laugh at them from time to time, but no one takes them seriously.

However, if we want to talk about who Jalen could actually become.... 20240520_073247.png

J Rock likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jalen MUST put on some strength/muscle if he will take the next step. He needs to finish most of the shots he gets bumped off of going to the rim and inside the 3 point line. These guys are close to one another, but if Jalen is always going to be light in the ass then he wont be able to take the same kind of leap as a dribble/penetrating guard. Ant shooting 36% from 3 hasnt distanced himself from Jalen as a shooter, but he's such a great closer. He finishes plays at the rim when he's fouled. He's strong enough to create separation with his body.

You have to give Minny credit for assembling such a stout defensive TEAM and adding players that compliment their stars perfectly. Shout out to Chris Finch too he's coached that squad really well. Hopefully this seasons Rocket team takes the leap next year the same way Minny did after having a .500 season.

fchowd0311 likes this.