1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Of course.

not an all star, but the dude isn’t such a K machine anymore. He is a serviceable major league hitter. I could see him being a decent DH option for a good handful of teams.

The “holes” in his swing are no bigger than most sluggers out there and big jon draws walks to make up for some of his k’s. I think Singleton might walk 70+ times over a full seasons worth of starts.

No Worries likes this.
  3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Nook likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Carlos Correa, age 26: .279/.366/.485
    Jeremy Pena, age 26: .333/.377/.468 (as of 5/9/24)

5. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

George Springer, age 28: .265/.346/.434, 119 wRC+
    Jake Meyers, age 28: .250/.314/.484, 126 wRC+ (thru 5/9/24)

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I just want to add that age 32 was the age Yuli Gurriel debuted with the Astros. Singleton is 32 and is hitting much better this year than Gurriel did that year.

8. Radricky

Radricky Member

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Exactly, blowing anything up would be moronic imo. I get the allure of rebuilding, because it worked so well last time, but we don’t have Luhnow and we aren’t going to tear it down like that again.

The whole idea of how this team is constructed is to be competitive year in and year out, without having to tear it down like that again. Sometimes you aren’t going to be a 95 win team, but just try to be in the playoff race most years. Kinda like the cardinals were for years (gross). That doesn’t mean a bad season isn’t going to happen every now and then.

A lot of good players on the roster and a Jose Altuve that doesn’t appear to be fading anytime soon, you don’t torpedo that bc you’re grumpy about a bad season, and believe me, few are more grumpy about the end of last year and the way this season started than me.

leroy likes this.
  10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I mean coo.

the way I feel about them is kinda how I feel about offensive lineman, if I’m hearing about them it’s bad news. They are (supposed) to be lights out.

IBTL likes this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Can we pretend that April never happened?

desihooper likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

These 4 series were so brutal:

Swept by Yankees combined score of 21-11
    Swept by Royals combined score 28-8
    Swept by Braves combined score 17-7
    Swept by Cubs combined score 14-6

That’s an 0-13 set of games with a combined score of 80-32. Disgusting.

everyday eddie and desihooper like this.
  13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only if they crush it in October.

IBTL and No Worries like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Hearing Astros have no interest in being sellers and could be very active at the deadline if the team is playing well.

Most the names I have heard are good players. Many can fill in if Bregman leaves.

Several bullpen arms as well mentioned.

Overall pretty creative ways to get guys that can fill multiple spots. Most of them are under longer term team control but not all of them.

Astros recently had a players only meeting in NYC which included only long term regulars and key players. It was organized by Altuve and Verlander.

itzIce, ryan_98, mikol13 and 9 others like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm fine with them holding out hope a bit longer. The back of the bullpen as pitched better recently, Framber had a nice outing. Things seem like they could start heading in the right direction, especially if Bregman and Yordan remember they are supposed to be good hitters.

It was a disgusting start, but no one will care if the Astros turn things around relatively soon and start climbing back up the standings.

13 in 33, Nook and punkoholic like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Aside from Burger, who could they be targeting that might replace Bregman? IKF? Baty? Vientos? Senzel?

Cards are looking out of it so Arenado would be huge.

17. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I was trying to figure out players as well. Thought about Baty or Arenado but what about Isaac Paredes? Although would TB trade him? Was he being shopped in the off season? Can't remember. Also I guess TB tends to trade players early and cash in. And does he play multiple positions? Nook mentioned players who can fill different spots.Is the Rockies guy good? Think it's Ryan McMahon. I also see him listed at multiple positions.

Also if by chance Arenado, maybe get Ryan Helsey as well?

#1117 punkoholic, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

McMahon is having a good season and he’s a guy I thought about too. But he’s nowhere near Bregman’s level.

Paredes will be arb eligible next season so TB can always be counted on to at least listen, but it seems unlikely they’d trade their best hitter if they are still in contention. Yandy Diaz might be a more realistic target, if Houston thinks he can still play 3B.

punkoholic likes this.
  19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's great, hopefully it helped. Outside of Maldy, the Astros have benefited from having vocal leaders who brought it on the field to help get the guys on track. That allowed the less vocal, albeit productive players ('Tuve, Brantley, etc.) to sort of pick their spots.

Who is that guy now? McCullers doesn’t play, Bregman is playing like he's cooked, Tucker/Alvarez/Tuve all seem more reserved. I think it is a big void. Then you see Altuve, who has been great this year, have a couple of lapses in hustle and go pretty much 0-fer-NY and you start thinking maybe he needs a puck me up too?

JV- for as much as I respect what he's done here, I do feel like there's going to be some distance there given the rehab stuff and leaving for the Mets- maybe the guys feel differently, but for all his work during the Golden Era, he's still not a core 'stro, more like a really well-paid mercenary that's here as long as it suits his interests (and obviously vice versa).

Just a big void in leadership, imo. I'm hoping the decency of the strong, silent leaders will turn it around, but sometimes you need that ball buster Alpha who gets everyone else in-line.

noppeper likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dang, they designated Bielak to make room for Javier. That means one of Arrighetti or Brown will be in the bullpen for the time being, unless they go to a 6 man rotation. I will be surprised if Bielak is not claimed.