1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets offered the Nets their draft picks back at the deadline for the Suns’ Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 10, 2024.

1. HealthyHamstring

1. The Nets are idiots
    2. Would’ve been a shrewd move by the Rockets
    3. The Nets are idiots

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lol Suns are ded

OremLK likes this.
  3. whozee

whozee Member

High IQ play

apollo33 and OremLK like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

So nets rathered root for Sun's failure than be in control of their own destiny.

Their own picks are lottery whereas even if Suns don't go far in the playoffs, they still made the post-season (pick later than 15th).

Implosion or not, Suns picks (non lottery) are still worse than Nets (lottery). If Stone did the deal, was he at least getting some player(s) out of it? Not against it if it was in a context of a Mikal or Claxton deal. But if picks straight up, sun's picks are worse.

#4 TimDuncanDonaut, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
    VickMackey, Arnel, Little Bit and 2 others like this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

What’s the logic here? I honestly don’t quite get it.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From the Rockets POV, most FRPs are like cars. They lose value once used in the draft (unless they hit). Getting picks pushed back would lead the Rockets to having a bunch of picks at one time for trades and it looks like a big trade may not happen next season. The Suns are likely going to suck when Durant and Beal fall apart. I think the Rockets thought the Nets would do something stupid and go all-in on this team.

From the Nets POV, they didn't realize how bad they are.

VickMackey, J-Mac, Nook and 14 others like this.
  7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Brooklyn owes us two picks (24, 26) and two swaps (25, 27). Phoenix owes Brooklyn three picks (25, 27, 29) and a swap (28). Extra picks are typically considered more valuable than extra swaps. Plus we trade out of this seemingly weak draft class and get an extra pick in 2029 when Phoenix should be terrible.

I personally wouldn't do it, but that's the potential benefit to us.

wlekfjv923n, Andre0087, xaos and 5 others like this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The logic of having Feigan launder this information through the media or the logic of said deal?

-The logic of Stone having Feigan announce this deal that didn't happen is to create a market for the Net's picks going into the draft. Rather than do the work to actually make phone calls, and build relationships with other GM's Stone AGAIN tries to act like he's the smartest person in the room while everyone else are fools.

-The logic of this hypothetical deal from the Rockets perspective would be to trade 2 for 2 I'm assuming which would bump the picks back a year for the Rockets so the Rockets wouldn't have to develop another 1st round pick this next year. The Rockets/Stone obviously think they just have sooooo much talent that heaven forbid they add someone else. I think that's ridiculous especially when we have no prospect bigs or true backup point guards in our pipeline. But Stone obviously feels he already has drafted the 97 Bulls.

-The logic for the Nets would in theory be that they get their picks back so they can rebuild this next season, and control their own destiny.

raining threes and xaos like this.
  9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Suns dont start paying off their picks until like 2027. We should be in the midst playoff runs while the Suns would be entering the post-Durant era.

The pick positions might not ultimately be as good as these Nets picks will be, but we will need the picks more then. A pretty shrewd move by Stone.

I’m sure the Nets see the Suns picks as more valuable towards adding a star player along with Simmons’ salary. They seem adamant about not tearing it all the way down.

roslolian likes this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think it would have been a great move for Houston, but I think it’s beyond clear that the nets have no intention of rebuilding. I think the rest of our Brooklyn picks and swaps are probably going to be late lotto/mid round picks. Of course there’s always a chance one becomes early lotto and that’s why you hold onto them, but this years 9th pick might actually be the highest Brooklyn pick we draft. I’d love to punt this pick to a future draft given how weak this draft is, but I think that’s unlikely. We aren’t the only team trying to move out of this draft.

Y2JT, Corrosion, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Nets picks, only 2 are valuable next year lotto pick and the pick swap. After that Simmons comes off the books they can sign guys and be mediocre.

Depending on which picks were offered and received it could have allowed Rox to get more capital overall.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Nets are still a big market and the chance of signing or trading for someone who is willing to play there is still big.

This felt like Arsenal being always the 4th seed but then turned it on with Arteta.......

Or Manchester City in the early days and they were just mediocre.

You cannot outrun the potential even if you do not want it.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Extra picks usually are considered more valuable than swaps. That 2025 swap is looking really good right now as the OKC pick is basically a SRP.

saleem likes this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Stone wants to trade the Nets 2024 pick. I don't blame him.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

IMO I think the Bets picks are better.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think it matters what the Nets' intentions are, they have neither the competence nor the assets to get better. I doubt this is the best pick we get from them--they seem determined to drive their organization into the ground with bad decisions.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Are there additional info, Tweet just said Sun's picks. Didn't say it was all of Nets picks for all of Sun's picks

18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Suns hired Coach Mike Budenholzer, Those picks most likely be around 25. Suns picks are worse than the Nets Lottery.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

We have a glut of young players who need more minutes so we can see who they are. That’s what happens when you have the worst record over 3 seasons in NBA history and you’re still not really sure what you have.

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Suns are still a Playoff Team, ignore the Suns picks.

Rafael Stone needs to get his act together. Focus on the Draft, upgrade the Backup Center, Small Forward Position instead of looking at other picks.

Shot Blocking Center, Long Arms, Laterally Quick on Defense, can shoot midrange and eventually 3s.

Alperen Sengun, Steven Adams (Surgery on Knee) are coming off an Injury. Jock Landale was injured the 1st Half of the Season.

Small Forward Tari Eason ( Rod in his Leg)
    Dillon Brooks kept Fouling because he can't keep up with quicker Athletic Forwards.

Center, Small Forward, Power Forward are huge Needs.

Philip K. Nick likes this.