1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

bregman did get 2 hits yesterday

........so he's on fire lol

IBTL likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t see how Bregman is on track for his free agency to fare better than Cody Bellinger or Matt Chapman. Both Chapman and Bellinger last had an mvp level season in 2019. Bellinger straight up sucked in 2021 and 2022 before signing a $17M deal for 2023 and having a rebound year, which only got him $80M/3yr last offseason. Chapman was a worse hitter than Bregman over the last 3 seasons but posted 3 fwar in his platform year; Bregman was a good (not great) hitter from 2021-2023 but at this pace will be coming off of a near-replacement level platform year. Without a dramatic 2nd half turnaround, nobody is offering Bregman $100M. He will be looking for the biggest guaranteed 1 year deal he can get with the expectation that he will rebound and re-enter free agency. Given Houston will peg him with a QO, it seems like the Astros would be the favorite to resign him for one year, but who knows if another team might overpay.

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  3. Radricky

Radricky Member

Whitley, abreu, and a lotto ticket :)

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LMFAO

They are like a literal MLB farm team, the second somebody gets good on the market they go. If one of the real teams had a dominant closer with 5 years of team control left most GMs wouldn't even have the audacity to call about availability.

Radricky likes this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Blanco pitched 3 too many innings in his career to qualify for ROY. I looked it up.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If the singleton renaissance is a thing and 2 of Jake/Chas/Leon establish themselves by the end of the year, any chance Loperfido can play 3rd? To my mind unless you have a rag arm if you can play 2B you should be able to play 3b- and if you play CF you shouldn't have a rag arm (I know- Buck-Jake Meyers blushes).

7. Radricky

Radricky Member

Bah gawd that’s Joey lopefidos music

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Joey Loperfido has not appeared in a game at 3B as a pro. The only known 3B experience he has was two appearances in summer ball in 2018.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Lulz, this is so stupid. Singleton renaissance is 0.1 WAR so far which ranks 19th among 1B with at least 80 PA. Just because your boy Abreu has been a complete disaster doesn't mean a guy, that is also bad, looks like the 2nd coming by comparison. Not to mention that Singleton is 32 and his body isn't what I would call healthy especially when you consider the past drug use.

If the Astros are seriously considering that Singleton is the answer at 1B for the next 3-5 years, then we are truly ****ed as an organization. If this renaissance can be sustained over May and June, then Singleton should be traded for a lottery ticket. Like maybe a similar deal we gave Boston for Vazquez. Where they ended up with 2 MLB players including a starting OF in Abreu. Casas is out for a long time.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Get some ****ing context dude. Snake loves Singleton. I said IF. Don't be a d******d for the sake of being a d******d. I'm talking about a world where I grant Snake his premise that Singleton could potentially be a player (I don't think he will be) in order to have a conversation with a good Astro fan, and you come clown stomping in here. Why don't you post at Surly anymore? Oh that's right- because you got banned for being a clown after we won it all in 2017 or whatever. No need to do that here too.

11. Radricky

Radricky Member

**** Roy
    Blanco is going for the cy young

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Loperfido probably has the arm/range to play 3B but for him to be even average there he would need half a season in AAA to adjust, and at this point that’s a waste and too much of a risk. Will Wagner adding power or Dezenzo surging were the only hopes.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm not saying Singleton is the answer at 1B or even may be the answer at 1B

I understand that his body type tends to age early and he is 32 so counting on him for 3-5 years, even if he is the answer now, is not a good bet.

That said, since he started playing every day he is a perfectly legitimate 1B. I realize it's a small sample, but among 1B, he is tied for 1st in HR and runs. Tied for 2nd in RBI and in the top 10 of nearly every single category since April 30th.

In 2024 this team has other issues. It would not he smart to give up on one of the answers they have found.

IF IF IF he keeps this up ( or Abreu has a miraculous Sept 2023-like recovery) for 2 1/2 more months then leave 1B alone the rest of the year and focus on other things.

And then determine if 1B has to be addressed for 2025+ in the offseason.

Stephen66 and Tomstro like this.
  14. Radricky

Radricky Member

Dude smoked some weed.

Tomstro likes this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Then Cy Young it is then.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Singleton's drug use is the same as Kevin Durant's...

BMoney, Tomstro and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Singleton’s has been an elite hitter since he started playing every day (wRC+ of 156 since May 1; 10th among MLB 1B in that time). Discounting his value based on the inconsistent playing time he got in April is really short sided. Singleton’s body has fairly low mileage and it’s easy to see his athleticism is still there. He may only have 2-3 more years after this but a solid middle of the order bat for league minimum for 3.5 seasons is very valuable. Your comment on his “drug use” is ignorant as ****.

The Astros don’t have any clearly better options at 1B. Loperfido is a decent athlete with some upside but he’s not some elite prospect you bench a red hot bat to make room for. Singleton may come back to earth or get figured out, but for now he looks like a boon and he’s carrying the offense this month along with Altuve and Tucker.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Singleton shows amazing plate discipline. He has a great eye. He hits like a veteran who understands the game.

He’s not gonna weirdly crash back down to earth.

He is a good hitter. Can he be our starting 1B for a few years? Not sure yet but the dude can hit.

mightybosstone likes this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No but the holes in his swing are well documented.

I think he will still take enough walks and get a hold of enough mistakes to be solid, but some cold streaks when facing quality pitchers have to be expected.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

You ignorant ****ing slut.