1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could JJ return or is he just joking around?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Marshall Bryant, Nov 15, 2023.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If he can improve the team on the field I'll take it, but if this is just some sideshow for attention or some type of coronation tour for JJ in Houston no thanks. I don't even care about his locker room presence, we can hire him as a coach or player advisor etc.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

This goes without saying, but you said it anyway

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't know, to me this reeks of JJ and DeMeco just having fun trolling the media. Or maybe JJ is totally serious and DeMeco not so much. Either way, it doesn't seem like DeMeco is taking it as seriously as JJ. And we haven't even heard from Cass or Mrs. McNair.

I'd be okay with him coming back. The only down side would be his legacy if he doesn't play well.

I did think the Texans should have brought him in as a D line coach about 30 seconds after he retired.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. Rudyball 1998

Rudyball 1998 Member

If there really is interest the Texans know they can wait to see how much money they have before offering up a contract with JJ.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I had thought of something similar in a red zone situation, but couldn't balance the pros and cons.

6. Buck Turgidson

His legacy is pretty much engraved in granite (or say, a unanimous 1st ballot bust in Canton), so not worried about that.

I don't think anyone really knows how serious either side is about it. Fun to speculate about it though, beats the hell out of mock drafts.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JJ would be great to stay on the bench and just bring in on plays like 3rd and 14, where you know they are going to pass. We'd have an attack of 4 great pass rushers in those situations.

My guess is he might be serious about coming out of retirement when we have 10 wins or so, and are a Superbowl contender. I'm sure he'd love to get a chance at that ring. That, and he does have a heart for Houston, and also he would love the attention of it all. The question is at what cost? If we are already playing great without him the cost needs to be reasonable for the usage and time left in the season

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I agree. They sure are pulling out ALL of the stops on the McNair PR campaign. They need to tap the brakes on the hype train and let the team go do it on the field.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't know, I feel like if he's going to do this, go all in. Be on the roster from day 1.

I don't have a problem with him skipping training camp - established veterans earn that right. But don't jump on the bandwagon 10 games in after the rest of the team has done all the work to get there. That would seem kind of selfish and that's not JJ's style, I don't think.

ROXRAN likes this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I could be wrong, but don't think JJ is wired that way. I think he'd either eant to be there from the beginning or truly show up late in the year if a bunch of guys go down.

He's always been a leader and he'll want to build relationships with the guys.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

1) I don't think JJ is wired to **** with people the way he is unless he's seriously considering coming back.
    2) I don't think the Texans would be ok with him ****ing with people this way unless he had already communicated that he was seriously considering coming back.
    3) I don't think either side would **** with fans unless they were BOTH mutually exploring what a comeback would look like.
    4) JJ on the inside on obvious passing downs would be absolutely SICK

cmoak1982 likes this.