1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player Development: A Star in Two Years or You are a bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2024.

?

How long should it take for a player to fully develop?

1. Should be evident in their 1st year

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. 2 years tops

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. 3 yrs - If not time to trade them

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. 4+ Years - They are a bust

23 vote(s)
    24.7%
  5. It is more depended on the Team situation than the player

25 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Not his first two season. Pretty generic 38% on wide open 3s.

SO no it really isn't part of the reason.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pretty sure Green is challenging our understanding of what a star is and brings to the table.....

Corrosion and albuster like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed
    Someone has to TEACH these kids things that should have been TAUGHT before they got her
    Too many bad habits

Rocket River

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I feel they teach some spacing (O & D) and fast breaks in A.A.U., but Highschool and college lean too much
    on zone defenses and do a poor job of man-to-man
    techniques.

Poor job of spacing as a 3-point shooter.

Often allowing one defender to guard two
    shooters on the perimeter. Common sense
    tells you move along the perimeter. Spread out.

Actually it can be seen anywhere on the court.
    Don't make things easy for the defense.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The reality is so many of these are more about THE COMPANY than the player
    AAU / College Coaches etc .. . . more about winning for themselves or the team
    not about teaching the kids

Protect my 7 figure salaries more than helping the kids learn the right way

Rocket River

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But the interesting part of that is that Brunson came into the league at age 22. The same age Jalen is now. That's why it's so hard for me to completely give up on him (as much as I try).

It's also why it's so exciting that a guy like Sengun is putting up numbers that Brunson didn't put until he was in his year 27 season.

Arnel, albuster and Aruba77 like this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah, the age difference is worth noting. But even if you assume a 1-yr youth penalty for Jalen, you still need to see a big jump in shooting in season 4. So that’s what I’m hoping for. And it’s also worth acknowledging that even if Jalen’s shooting doesn’t come around, he still has other offensive skills that can help nba teams…just not as near-max player. I still see Jalen’s ability to get buckets.

my thing is I really believe in Sengun and Amen. They have the dynamic skills to be hugely impactful even if they never become good shooters. And I really think we need to have good shooting on the floor to offset. So even if Jalen is a really good scorer, I dont want to tie our future to him unless he’s at least an average shooter. And my biggest thing is that we not lose value on him for nothing. He may not be the right fit for us, but still have value around the league. We need to capture that value and transfer that to something else if he’s not our guy.

but im hoping Jalen maximizes his mid range. Comes out and gets to his spots and knock down shots. Then gradually ease into efficient long range shooting. We take a look at his numbers by allstar break, and he’s made a significant jump into 35%/36% 3pt with a big bump in true shooting %. But if not, we have to be ready to move on.

#67 Aruba77, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
    Williamson and subtomic like this.
  8. fchowd0311

22-19=3

Not 1

Dobbizzle likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We heard all last offseason how there was going to be a 3rd year leap after the first two awful seasons.... now we're hearing about a 4th year leap after the 3rd awful season.

New year, same playbook by the delusional fanbois.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You beat me to it.

If coaches project a player to be a one and done player....they are probably less likely to invest time teaching or coaching up.

It's more about use your athletics and these certain plays and get me a win.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is a one off, and he had that great VILLANOVA coaching which has produced so many quality NBA guards......Jalen played AAU, then Gleague, then Silas - he hasn't had the best coaches, and he hasn't honestly improved that much.

So he has further to go, and no guarantee he gets there. He reminds me of LaVine a good player who might make an all - star game or two, but not a DUDE you build around.....and if the org agrees, they should be shopping him now while teams think he has upside still.

DD

Williamson likes this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I actually think that LaVine is a talented enough scorer that, if he could stay healthy (and he can't), you could build a successful team with him. I think he'd be fine playing the Jamal Murray role in Denver, for example. I just think you need an MVP caliber player next to him. Jokic, Giannis, Embiid, etc. And there just aren't a lot of those guys. But hey! We might have one if Sengun keeps progressing the way he has!

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

again one would have to know what right looks like to make an accurate assessment. Not only that a good manager would understand growth and development and putting their team in positions to learn and grow. Also bias and judgment is a big part of humans whether its corporate world or sports. The better leaders would reserve bias and judgement and support growth to get to team goals. Everyone makes mistakes even you. The key is whether there has been growth and development with whatever the individual is lacking and if there hasn’t then how can we get them there. There’s a lot of fit factors that go beyond “smart” in companies including personality and teamwork. Lots of fans don’t know what right looks like so every TO for instance is magnified and judged and hatred ensues. Some people act like Anthony Edwards never committed a “dumb” mistake or turned the ball over or made the wrong reads. It’s fascinating and sad at the same time

14. albuster

albuster Member

Hmmm. Just a little observation, 31% and 33.5% cannot be any higher than 33.5% combined.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Those two aren't combined, catch and shoot are one type of shot, open and wide open 3's are 2 different situations that can count any type of 3... it just looks at how close the nearest defender was to the shooter when the shot was taken.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not many people know this.

albuster likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Some of the people
    might need to step back like Aaron Gordon . .. . not THE MAN but still a d*mn fine cog

Rocket River

Williamson likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure most do, especially when the two weren't combined.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He was also shooting 52% from the field and 40% from 3 his 3rd year and had good advanced numbers too.

20. fchowd0311

At age 25 right?

If you look at on/off impact 22 year old Green has better on/off impact according to Cleaning the Glass on his team than 22 year old Brunson.

robbie380 likes this.