1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reed Sheppard

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rokman, Apr 17, 2024.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Seriously, if the Rockets got the #1 overall pick I think they should at least consider him.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Shepherds averages are Vs college players though, we don't know if it will translate to the NBA given his short stature and low athleticism. Look at Jett Howards shooting and he is taller than Reed Shepherd. Btw Jalen Green shot 38% from 3 in GLeague so that shows you 1 yr sample size can be misleading.

I rather take someone like Cody Williams or Dalton Knecht at least they can contribute in other areas besides just shooting due to their length and athleticism.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody ever really knows if it will translate. They sure guessed Curry wrong. Sheppard's stats are so much better than Green's that I can't ignore the possibility of him becoming our future PG. He's a great passer with great court vision, with a good assist/to ratio, and is a fantastic 3 PT shooter. Lord knows we need one. Even if his 3 PT shooting goes down a little it would still be great. I don't see his passing skills doing anything but getting better with experience either.

Green Stats Ignite
    FG% 46.1 3PT% 36.5 ASST 2.8 STL 2.7
    T/O 2.7 BLK 0.3

Sheppard Stats
    FG% 53.6 3PT% 52.1 ASST 4.5 STL 2.5
    T/O 1.9 BLK 0.7

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Comparing Curry to Sheppard? comon man.. lol. Steph was a college sensation.

saleem likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Steph Curry 3rd year college stats
    FG .454 3PT% .387 AST 5.6 STL 2.5
    T/O 3.7 BLK 0.2

Sheppard Stats
    FG% .536 3PT% .521 ASST 4.5 STL 2.5
    T/O 1.9 BLK 0.7

eman likes this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

We really gonna leave off PPG and shot attempts?

Curry 1st year PPG 21.5 3PA 8.8

Sheppard 1st year PPG 12.5 3PA 4.4

Curry's shooting splits was him being the best player on the floor and the #1,#2, and #3 gameplan against. Sheppard shared the floor with another lottery pick and countless other star recruits. So sure, their shooting % is similar and that's where the comparison stops. They are not even in the same universe in being similar to each other.

And as some other poster pointed out, Reed put up 3 points in the most important game of the year. Curry dropped 30 against Maryland in the only game he played his first year in the NCAA tournament.

Lastly, Curry was doing this in 2006 when the long mid range was still the goto shot from star players like Kobe and Tmac.

#66 Bo6, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
    cbass and roslolian like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you really want to make it look good for Sheppard, you can say that when Curry was playing, the 3 pt shot was a foot shorter.

:D

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Sheppard also had to overcome the absolutely shitty coaching of Calipari.

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Or maybe you could say they wouldn't even have made it that far if Reed hadn't lead No. 15 Kentucky past No. 4 Vols 85-21 with his 27 points when he shot FG 9-14 64.3% 3PT 7-10 70.0% and FT 2-2 100% :p

My whole point is players have bad games. I remember Western Conference Finals playoff games when Harden took over 30 shots to score less than 20 PTS, and took over 10 3's without making a single shot.

#69 deb4rockets, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
  10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

He'll be there at 9. How many GMs want to use a lotto pick on a 6'3 white guy?

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Ones that see potential instead of skin color.

saleem and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

*looks at Utah at #8*

Hell if I know, man!

peleincubus, cbass, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes they guessed Curry wrong and they also guess Jimmer Fredette wrong.

Jimmer
    FG% 45.2 3PT% 39.6 ASST 4.3 STL 1.3

You are right we don't know how these players will translate so why risk the pick? It's better to get a guy who projects to be a good shooter but is also tall and lengthy enough to do other things like Cody Williams or Knecht.

Instead you are proposing we get a 6'3 unathletic dude just based on his omg 50% 3 pt shooting. Maybe Shepherd does indeed become the next Curry. But considering Curry is a generational talent and Shepherd hasn't been shooting a high volume I'm guess that 50% doesn't hold up..

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Wow. That's a stretch. It was a lot more than his shooting. He's a fantastic passer with great vision and great hands. Williams and Knecht might have better skills in some ways, but not in assists to turnovers. I was talking more of a great ball distributor and great shooter from behind the arc. A guy who can fire it to our players down the court, and be a threat from behind the arc as well. We don't need the next Curry. We need 3 PT shooters and guys with good passing skills in case you hadn't realized. We are not a good 3 PT shooting team. Like a said, we can draft a lanky guy too. Do you want one that still struggles to shoot well consistently after 3 years but is "athletic" as you say, with spurts of great shooting and not that good of assists to turnovers?

#74 deb4rockets, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

We actually have good shooters on the team, for example we got Aaron Holiday. Problem is he can't out play our guards to get any playing time. So we don't just need good shooters we need shooters with upside who can beat out somebody on the roster to get PT.

There's lots of good shooters in this draft not just RS. Cody Williams, Knecht, Mcain etc. I would prefer someone who is lengthier and more athletic even if he projects to be a slightly worse shooter. It's all about lowering the bust rate and increasing the ceiling.

If we get a 6'3 unathletic dude then you are just hoping his skills translate otherwise you just got a bust. Your example of an athletic guy who struggles to shoot well, that guy is still playable and in fact got more PT than a good shooter who can't do anything else.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Call him unathletic, or a shooter who can't do anything else is laughable, and doesn't change my viewpoint. You are entitled to your opinions about who you consider playable though.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

That's a double edged sword.

On one hand it helps alleviate some attention, on the other hand those other guys are going to want to get theirs also.

Regarding him vs. Steph, I don't think anyone can say any player is going to be the next Steph. He's an all time great and the best shooter the NBA has ever seen. But I do think it's fair to look at college stats and use that as a data point to predict how a player will do in the future.

No players situations are going to be exactly alike so there will always be some gray area.

For instance, Kentucky played much better competition than Curry did at Davidson. The toughest team Curry played his Freshman year was Duke and he played horribly that game. he only played 23 minutes in a loss and shot 22% overall and 16% from three. The very next game against world class Elon he shot 14% from three. Later in another loss to another world beater Appalachian state he shot 9% from three. He had some really good games his freshman year, but he had some stinkers there as well.

The funny thing is that, if Steph Curry would've been compared to Reggie Miller as a shooter coming out someone would've called that laughable.

18. j@amc

j@amc Member

The Ringer's mock (5/9, the last one before the lottery selection show): Reed Sheppard to Houston at #9. O'Connor does his homework, and all the lengthy guys (Buzelis, Williams, and even Holland) come off the board before Sheppard. He has Sarr and Clingan as #1 and #2. Dillingham at #5. Interesting.

19. j@amc

j@amc Member

Agreed. I wouldn't want to try and comp any player as Steph. However, Steph played 3 years of college ball. And he did look like a great undersized shooter for almost all of that time. When he made the league, he was still at a major strength disadvantage for years. But his stamina and strength grew by leaps and bounds. Once he realized he could extend his range and ball handling, Curry was an All-NBA talent.

What separates Sheppard from Fredette is that Sheppard has quick hands and makes an impact on D. He has that pesky quality that the truly undersized guys seem to always have. Sheppard reminds me of Stockton more than Fredette on D.

I think if you put the right guys around Sheppard he could really succeed and set people up.

Smaller than Austin Reaves, quicker/peskier than Fredette, not a hall-of-fame shooter or passer, but more impactful than Steve Kerr.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Curry is totally different from Reggie Miller so not sure why that's wrong lol.

Curry is an aberration, his brother is also a good shooter and more in line what you would expect from someone with his player profile.

Some players just break the mold like Kawhi, Curry, LeBron, KD and Wemby. They do things a player with their profile normally wouldn't do.