1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If nothing else, these Playoffs are showing us...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, May 7, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So you missed the part about how many of those threes are form his assists or hockey assists from his gravity?

Like would replacing Green's minutes with Aaron Holiday which is obviously a better shooter improve the team's 3pt percentage?

When your on/off offensive impact is the second best on the team id assume you aren't harming your team's 3 pt shooting

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I factor in those in the 8 man rotation or who have been a part of the rotation. After calculating their numbers cumulatively they shot 994/2834 which is 35%. But again whole point isn’t about percentages its about timeliness of shots and especially when wide open in the times that matter

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

But what's the point of that though? Ok let's say you are right the team sucks at shooting both 3s and FG. Who will you replace and with whom? I would assume you can't find better players than Sengun, Amen, Adams, Jabari, Tari, FVV, Cam without massive asset spending right? That's already 7 people in your 8 man rotation. That just leaves Jalen Green which was my point all along.

Rox can replace someone like Jock Landale, Tate and Jeff Green with better shooters. But these are all backups or who won't even see time outside of injury do you think upgrading backup of backup gonna have massive impact in our team shooting?

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Its not a matter of job its a matter of shooting when you’re open. Players are taught to shoot when they’re open unless they don’t have the ability like Amen. But even so all the numbers matter and factor into an assessment of the team. Sengun put up 111 attempts and Uncle Jeff put up 160. Even players like Tate who was part of the rotation matters and factors into the numbers. And this is why a lot of people are saying we need to improve our shooting overall as a team not just those players you mentioned. And the Point is Rockets aren’t making their open shots when it matters and their swings are very high.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Again what is the point of that? What's the point of your complaint? Ok so we need to improve how would the team improve? Should we trade Sengun and Amen cuz they suck at shooting? What's your opinion? If you aren't gonna touch them then I don't see why you include them in the analysis. You are just creating mental problems with no solution.

6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Im not a GM. I never said anything about replacing any of the core. Im sure a few players in the rotation may be gone. And i said to acquire defensive players that can shoot however we can acquire them. And the crop we have can improve and develop i never said nothing against that. Im not sure why you’re focusing on the 3 point shooting and now talking about roster changes. I was just talking about how a team doesn’t need 3 “stars” and how that definition is misleading

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

i dont get why you see any of my comments complaining. Its an assessment dude. I think you need to re read and absorb the main point of my post instead of focusing a discussion on a part of my post that you initiated

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh??? There are only two ways to upgrade team shooting right either internal improvement, coaching change or player change. We are hoping internal improvement happens and no way Ime will be replaced so that only leaves roster movement.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

But your assessment is wrong that's my point. If you aren't planning to touch the core 6 and we know FVV , Adams and Brooks are staying why does this even matter? That's 9 players you aren't touching already. Nothing you can do can improve Rox shooting significantly.

It just becomes a complaint because there is no way to change it without trading core players. It's like saying your wife is so much uglier than Gigi Hadid or your son is so much dumber than Albert Einstein.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Really not sure what you are getting at as that’s not the focus of my discussion. You are putting words in my mouth and going on a tangent into something else i did not choose to focus on so what are you talking about here. Please stick to the topic which isn’t about free agency acquisitions.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

The topic is the team according to you is bad at shooting right? If you think something is bad shouldn't you think of improving it? What I'm telling you is getting shooters won't change the team unless they can beat the top 9 rotation. We actually have our best shooter Aaron Holiday guess what he can't beat out Amen and Cam in the rotation.

If something can't be changed what's the point of it? Just a waste of time and energy and then people will complain why isn't Stone doing anything.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

If JG improved his open 3s then the Rox 3 pt shooting percentage will improve drastically
    What JG does apart from that is irrelevant as you'd think he'd still do his hockey assists even with his improved 3s.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

His "open" 3 pt shots which compromise 33% of his 3pt attempts are at 37%.

His "wide open" 3 pt shots compromise 18% of his attempts at 33%.

Him improving his wide open percentage would not make a statistically significant impact on team 3 pt percentage.

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

your opinion dude.

Anyway So let me get this right you are focused on my comments on overall team shooting and view that as a complaint. And you are laser focused on my comment that the team can build a contender with better shooting and perhaps with some acquisitions. Is this right? If so i simply said we could improve our team with shooters and defensive players however they choose to do it either vis draft or free agency or trade. I did not delve into that or talk about any of that. Im not playing GM on this post. And your core players are different than mine. I see only 5 or 6 players as the core and believe the rest could be dealt. But again this all relative.

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No thats where you misunderstand. The topic is about the Rockets creating something special with our current core players but we can add to this. I have always preached growth and development and i never said they can’t grow to be better. Please don’t put words in mouth.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Please tell us what the playoffs are teaching us again. Your MIN size is getting cooked. And no Sengun is no Jokic, but if Jokic is MJ maybe Sengun can still be Kobe.

Side note, Anthony Edwards watching Gobert get barbecued and KAT play like a pssy is 1000% leaving eventually.

Side note #2, it was Anthony Edwards before any other NBA player who said first that the Rockets should build around Sengun. I wonder where he would want to go if he ever leaves Minny?

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

The playoffs are showing us Jokic is by far the best player in the world, bar none. And the Rockets have the most similar player to that archetype in the league. Count your blessings instead of bending over backwards to try to hate.

18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Jokic still irrelevant?

19. Ratman

Ratman Member

I would agree. And hope this. But if the timberwolves just dont ship off or move on from those guys instead to try and please edwards….they are morons. Player has leverage though. Imo.

20. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

i think we have decent size now if we're seriously keeping adams

but i absolutely agree. the main reason the lakers lost to denver was simply because the lakers were too small, the only reason why MIN and OKC did well during the season is they're big.

bigger is better, we need some length and some meaty girth