1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things to do in Nashville?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, May 6, 2024.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, not trying to annoy anybody, but while a good biscuit is an awesome pillow of fluffy happiness, there's not that much too it. Its pretty much an open book.

I'm having a hard time understanding how a very tasty/good biscuit can be made differently so as to differentiate itself as "great". Butter. Cake flour. Baking Soda. Milk and/or cream.

What do they do to it that makes it uniquely good?

2. PhiSlammaJamma

You can wear your Oilers Drip, and rep at the bar without incident.

3. Buck Turgidson

Here ya go: https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/g31120839/biscuit-types/

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

much more satisfying on the 8-track with all the mid-song breaks

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I haven't been to Nashville in probably 4 or 5 years, but I always loved driving out there by way of Arkansas/I-40.
    Anywho :

Nashville Hot Chicken : They still make the real stuff here with bone-in chicken and not 5th grade lunch cafeteria chicken tenders. Try Prince's (the original) or Hattie B's first if you like spicy chicken (they adjust the spice level). I've also tried Pepperfire which has interesting things on the menu, but the flavor of the spices on the wings is better. They've moved from their former location where I tried them, so hopefully nothing else with the chicken has changed.

Loveless Cafe : I've never tried it, but it's always been on my list of places to eat down I-40. A lot of people love this place, though. It's the kind of place you want to visit if you want to kind of take in the food culture of the area.

American Pickers : if you watch their show (is it still on?) they have one of their shops here. I went a couple of times and it's nothing but a tourist trap and a front for selling t-shirts and mugs. I went there looking for cool items from the 19th and early 20th century - ended up leaving with a t-shirt, mug, and mousepad. Kill me.

Johnny Cash Museum : someone else mentioned this, but this was a fun/crowded pit-stop. I'm not a huge Cash fan, but love looking at historical stuff in whatever genre. Don't tell anybody, but if you go upstairs, it's the Patsy Cline Museum ... shhh. Assuming it's still there, that is.

The Hermitage : I've never been, but it's on my list. If you're a history nut, this is a cool visit.

National Museum of African American Music : I've never been - just noticed it a few months ago. I'll be checking this out next time I go, if possible.

The other stuff is usually a given if you're into Country music and in Nashville : Ryman Auditorium, CM HOF, Grand Ole Opry, etc.

One side-adventure if you're into cars (especially Vettes) would be go north to Bowling Green, Kentucky and visit the National Corvette Museum. Give yourself a couple of hours. Two weeks after I visited there years ago, they had a sinkhole that swallowed up a few cars. Sad. :(

Just try to stay away from tourist traps and adventure around. If you're going by way of Memphis or something, you can get some decent bbq (pig), but stay away from any of the BB King stuff in Memphis. Mediocre food and.... a tourist trap.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lord, yes. lol.

Man, I don't know. Babe's is known for their chicken and on a good day, their chicken fried steak is is greatness, but I always thought their biscuts were lead weights. And I've eaten there literally over 100 times, although it's been a while, since there's one right by my house. Babe's is known for their fried chicken for sure, though. If you're ever out to Decatur, Tx (why, I don't know) or North Richland Hills, check out their sibling restaurant Sweetie Pie's Ribeyes. You can order a chicken fried ribeye there, and yes ... it was glorious.

7. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Been to Sweetie Pie's! Got a MR Ribeye and was satisfied...but the apricot fried pies? Fantastic! Also been to the Granddaddy of them all...the original Bubba's Cooks Country in Snider Plaza. One of the best breakfasts in DFW.

Which Babe's location? Have been to most, but our go to has always been Frisco. Never had a biscuit there that wasn't light, fluffy and crazy moist.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to drive out to Sanger until the Babe's in Frisco opened, then started going there. There was a Bubba's in Frisco, too, but it closed down in the last couple of years.

Don't get me started on fried pies. Lord. lol. I quit eating most of this stuff a while back, though, but I still get a hankerin. :D

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

You are kidding, right?

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

For tourists, hit up Broadway and stay away from the food scene there. Coming from Houston it’ll be the worst overpriced food you’ve ever had. West end/midtown is a bit better

food wise two hands in the gulch is pretty good great scene. The gulch is better in ever way imo, the locals keep it a secret to keep the proportion of tourists lower

I lile the rooftop at the virgin hotel good view of town

East Nashville is a bit like Austin

nolensville has the ethnic food

be careful, the drug/homeless problem has ballooned like crazy. It’s unsafe in a lot of areas.

hiking wise some good zip lining 20 min outside of town.

Nashville is pretty similar to Austin right now, it’s at that downwards trajectory where the influx of people/craze about the city has worked against it. The musicians for example are finding the cost of living insane (music business pays ass all over but Nashville was a haven for a while) and are slowly moving out. As a whole I’ve never seen so much talent concentrated in one area it insane. Unfortunately they made this city great and them leaving will change it

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Also if you want a reincarnated Houston suburban feel - head southeast to Murfreesboro- which is a fast growing area especially the 37128 zipcode side - flat, pine trees and lots of businesses intermixed near community homes will remind you of Houston so much plus now they have Whataburger - nothing noteworthy but they do have the Stones River historical battlefield

like @LosPollosHermanos stated, nolensville is unique on ethnic food and a great area to live as well but consider also Brentwood/ Franklin for more refined eating

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the inside of the Opryland Hotel is beautiful, and you don't need to be a guest to walk around

Nook and ROXRAN like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Naked Paranoia -

Im convinced The Googles is watching me scroll the BBS. Never searched for "Loveless Cafe" and this pops up at the top of my youtube feed yesterday:

Also, the biscuits look like biscuits.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, this place looks right up my alley but it looks like it's a 30 minute drive from where we're staying (on Broadway downtown) and we're flying in not driving so we'll be Ubering everywhere and probably won't venture very far away from downtown. Maybe I can talk our party into it.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

*EDIT*: Just re-read what you typed. Nevermind.

17. Buck Turgidson

Ask the hotel if they can arrange transportation, won't be free but you won't get screwed either.

Yes, and the snozberries taste like snozberries

Colt45 likes this.